• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Brad Eden

• gunsrus

• River19

• mshowman

In baseball the umps keep the balls, why not football.  Years ago and I mean years ago in both high school and college we played with the game ball.  Never realized how handicapped we were, also OT was a 5th quarter.  At least the modification the colleges use makes more sense.
So if a football was at the 13psi at room temp, 70 degrees, and it's taken outside where it's 35 degrees, wouldn't you expect it to drop a PSI or two?

I don't like the Pats, but they earned the win, sad state of the news all the way around.

The temp change from 70 to 51 is not significant enough to impact a 15~20 % pressure decrease, especially when you are talking about a football size air mass.  If you think about the size of your Jeep tire, and how cold it has to get before you notice any significant pressure change.  It has to drop down in to the low teens for any noticeable change and that is about 5% not 15% as in the case of the pats football.

The pats were cheating, plain and simple, the sad part is that they really did not have to, they won big.  Just shows their lack of honor and integrity.  

Barna

In baseball the umps keep the balls, why not football.  

Can't believe they don't do this already, they should keep the balls under the control of the refs, problem solved.

Gunflint Charlie
If both teams played with the same ball, I'd say there was no advantage.

They don't, each team has custody of a dozen balls that they put in play for their possessions. Pretty poor system.

Jay

When I coached soccer I could tell by the sound of the ball, and generally both coaches had to approve of the game ball before the game.  Still we ended up with one messed up game over an under inflated ball, but that was one out of maybe six years I didn't catch right away.  I got picky about it after that though.

In the NFL, I would have thought the refs would be able to tell just by holding the ball with all the experience they have.  Maybe not though.

They don't, each team has custody of a dozen balls that they put in play for their possessions. Pretty poor system.

Jay

It is a poor system.  And more interestingly, Tom Brady was one of the driving forces in creating that system.

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/11/03/sports/football/03football.html?_r=0

So he went to great lengths to get the NFL to allow him to prepare his own balls to a game.  Then tells us that he has a very precise preference for how the balls should be, including how they should be inflated.

But yet he also says that he really doesn't pay any attention to the ball?

Each team has their own set of balls.

I don't think Indy had the same issue. So Indy over inflated for the temp change?? I thought the game time temp was 51 degree?

The balls that Indy had were never checked and by the time they thought to do so it was to late as they had already taken them home.

There are so many people talking about what they believe happened that it does not matter what the truth really is.  

The story was broke by a Indy reporter.  Would you like to bet that the NFL told Indy before that happened that the whole deal was a non issue and move on.  So Indy upset at loosing like they did let it slip to the reporter that the balls the Pats used might have been questionable.

This is what I think happened

Indy before the game got in touch with the Pats ball boys and made a deal with then for a undisclosed amount of money to let the air out of a few balls.  They did this knowing that during the game the possibility that they would get a interception was there. So IF they were getting beat they now had reason to cast suspicion on the Pats.  

Haters gonna Hate

Go Pats

I think both sets were checked at half time. Also, the Ravens noticed the balls the week before. Indy supped yes the their was a problem with the balls during their meeting with the Pats ealier in the season. It wasn't until Jackson's interception that Indy got their hands on a ball to check for themselves.

I don't think a few PSI would have covered a 38 POINT DEFICIT :O  :p  suspect.gif

I don't think so either. Kinda makes me wonder why they felt the need to cheat. And if they deflated the balls for this game, did they also deflate them for the game they won by a single touchdown against the Raiders, or the two they squeaked by over the Jets? Maybe they shouldn't have even made the playoffs.

Quite honestly I do think they earned the right to play but still believe that cheating is cheating, regardless of how the game ends up. Penalties for cheating should be severe and levied by game suspensions, not fines that are insignificant to them.

They could have used bowling balls and it wouldn't have made a difference.  The Colts were out played.

They could have used bowling balls and it wouldn't have made a difference.  The Colts were out played.

So your position is that it's OK to cheat if you were going to win anyway?

How does the outcome of the game mitigate the cheating?

What the hell is the NFL doing ? Five days later and they haven't even talked to the suspected man behind all of this , Tom Brady . Who else touched the balls from the time of inspection by the refs (were they ever inspected to begin with ?) and game time ?

Oh , and I've lost all respect for Aikman and Tarkenten (both heroes of mine) who condemned Brady without the facts . This is all BS .