Another one bites the dust. . .

Do Ohio cropland deer really compare to northern deer?

...Scotsman

Believe it.

I've never seen an Ohio deer so I don't know.

Over this way, crop states like Iowa, Missouri, Kansas, Oklahoma, ect, have deer populations that grow very large antlers, but are typically small deer. The year before last I shot an 8-point that dressed 220# and couldn't have been over 5 years old. He wouldn't even exist south of here...Scotsman

A brute in Ohio would weigh 200 pounds or a little more.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Brad Eden

• Rex Hoppie

• oldredruff

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A little luck goes a long way. Opening day in Wisconsin was my lucky day. This buck and I had a run-in in October on the 22nd and he won. I was bow hunting with my grandson and the Buck slipped away.

Mine with my muzzleloader. 

Amazing what getting up early and climbing a mountain will get ya. . . Blow by blow later after I shower and regroup.

steve bernadowicz
VERY nice Brad ! Whats the outside spread ? To  those that asked, yes, ohio bucks are bigger. Have gotten 3 that weighed more than me dressed,them,not me ! I go 195 0r so. Have seen 3 MUCH larger. The key is finding swampland (oaks), surrounded by farmland. With cover that has food, and crop land that supplies MORE food, they bulk up. Upper grand river valley, Orwell, on south, has huge bucks,that die of old age...   steve

I was wondering what that pickup with Maine plates was doing in my back yard....that's, that's Donner!

Nice work there Ridgerunner.

Wow!

I see a LOT of deer and that is one impressive critter by anybody's standards!

Congrats, Brad!!

Rex...do you know where the heaviest whitetail ever taken was from?  It wasn't down south, it was from Minnesota.  It weighed in at 500#.

That ain't natural.  Big deer don't compare to that.

As a note: "down south" is south of Ohio.  Ohio is up north, Minnesota is norther.

Oh sure, I mean if you LIKE big bucks.  Good job, but how'd you shoot a deer without camoflage?  After all, You can't shoot a deer without brand X camo, and carbonized scent proof suit.  They told me on OLN.  Nope.  Can't be done.