• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Brad Eden

• Rex Hoppie

• oldredruff

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A little luck goes a long way. Opening day in Wisconsin was my lucky day. This buck and I had a run-in in October on the 22nd and he won. I was bow hunting with my grandson and the Buck slipped away.

Mine with my muzzleloader. 

Amazing what getting up early and climbing a mountain will get ya. . . Blow by blow later after I shower and regroup.

What a morning.

OK here’s the skinny. With a tender young 3pt in the freezer compliments of "The Huntress" I made a mental decision to hunt smart– hard, but smart. In other words, not sit mindlessly watching Powerlines, Pipelines, fields, barrens etc., etc. but to get "out there".

I made a mental list on the tough areas I wanted to hunt this season and this morning decided on a hike up the "South Side" of a local ‘to be unnamed mountain’ (that should give my bird guests a clue. . .) I drove the short drive to my parking spot and headed UPHILL about an hour before legal light which was at 5:50AM+_ to set up for a spell under some granite ledges-and then since it had rained and the woods were quiet, to still-hunt the surrounding ridges for the morning. It took me 45 minutes of climbing to make it to where I had shot a nice 6 pt some years back and with the help of my flashlight found my “rock”. This is a beautiful area overlooking a beech tree valley-very thick though, as the leaves were largely still on the trees. I had very few shooting lanes to speak of.

At 6:00 I did my obligatory bleat call sequence and settled onto the ground with my back to the rock. About 10 minutes later I thought I saw some antler type movement about 100 yards directly to my right, but after glassing figured my eyes were playing tricks on me so did a couple more bleats just in case and almost immediately I heard one clicky “tending grunt”. Suddenly slightly below and to my right at 80+-yards I saw a brown body moving up the ridge, I hit auto-pilot; “big, brown, rack, shooter”. I got the scope on him and as he moved through what was really the ONLY open lane, I found his shoulder in the cross-hairs and squeezed the trigger on “the venomous little bastard/7mm-08”. I caught a glimpse of what looked like a ground hugging death run and listened to crash after crash after crash as he headed back down the ridge. From the time I heard the one grunt, saw him and shot was maybe 3-4 seconds-that’s how fast it happened. If I had not bleated and then heard that grunt I never would have looked and seen him-he made no other sound in the wet leaves.

I walked to where he was last seen and was greeted by a massive blood trail. But I still did my usual routine of hanging tissue paper along the trail so I had a reference in case I needed to back track etc. No need as it was evident he was a dead deer. I walked up to him about 50 yards from where I shot him. No ground shrinkage here. I really didn’t know how big he was when I shot-only that he was bigger than a spike, so seeing this monster buck lying high up on this ridge was. . .well you really can’t put it in words.

The next few moments were personal, between me, the deer, the the red god of hunting.

I figured I could drag him downhill to the truck even if it took me hours but there was no way I was gonna get him in a capped truck bed alone. So I called my best hunting buddy Scott. I had helped him with his Spike buck earlier in week. He answered his cell even though he was also on a ridge almost an hour away at his camp, hunting with his elderly father. Like any real buddy, his words were “I’ll be right there, sit tight, I’m coming.” I attached a drag rope and stick and an hour plus later I had the deer halfway down the mountain and Scott made his way up to us and the rest was a lengthy photo session, drag, tag, weigh-in and hang in the tree out back. Upon inspection, I made a heart shot (obliterated it really) and the bullet is still lodged somewhere in the far shoulder from what I can tell.

This guy is joining “the herd” on my wall much to Jo Ann’s chagrin.

Brad thats just Awesome!  What a great buck.

While we have alot of big deer I personally have never bagged one that big.  Nice job.

For those interested in Ohio deer go to "links" then to "state agencies" then to Ohio then to Photos of deer.

Tim

It is amazing that a early morning plan comes together like that.  :D

Now get back to the birds

10 pts, 21.5" outside/19.5"+- inside spread, 200 lbs on the dot, dressed (no heart/liver etc.)

Heading out huntin, hoping for luck, With hopes higher than expectations.  Great plan, great execution, and great story.

Down hill drag to boot, very good plan.