Another one bites the dust. . .

--------------

M V McDonald, did you say "Benoit"?

Recall my older brother many years ago cut out an article from some outdoor magazine titled something like "The Benoits always get their Bucks".  These guys were all up in Maine somewhere.  So we, my brothers and hunting buddies, started calling ourselves the Benoit Brothers -- there was Blade, Bugsy, Buck, Bagwan etc.   To this day, we crack each other up with making up Benoit Brother names when someone does something really good; or, really funny.

http://www.benoitsbigbucks.com/

They are still around.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Brad Eden

• Rex Hoppie

• oldredruff

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A little luck goes a long way. Opening day in Wisconsin was my lucky day. This buck and I had a run-in in October on the 22nd and he won. I was bow hunting with my grandson and the Buck slipped away.

Mine with my muzzleloader. 

Amazing what getting up early and climbing a mountain will get ya. . . Blow by blow later after I shower and regroup.

VERY nice deer, and that coming from an Ohioan!

Wish we didn't have any deer here at all, then maybe we'd work harder for our birds!

This will likely be my last entry as finally my adrenalin is calming down. . .

Yesterday morning I took the deer to my butcher and waited while he caped it out, then drove it north to Howland area to my favorite taxidermist. My choice for a mount was a no-brainer. He showed me a new style; a sneak but with an uplifted head with mouth slightly open simulating a grunt. It was an extra $50 or so for the mouth insert but thats what killed this deer-him vocalizing to my last couple bleats which caused me to look to my right and get on him.

Nice deer brad, well done.  

I got mine this am.  Four does and a skipper came through the meadow right on schedule and I dropped the largest doe in her tracks at 125 yards with a 7mm rem mag.  Never any need to track the deer with that gun.  She dressed out at 131 and will provide much meat for the family over the next 12 months.  In three years at this house she is the third doe I have taken on opening day, all within a half hour in time and all within ten yards of each other.

My son is 3 1/2 and was very interested in the field dressing and checking station process.  He took a picture of himself with the deer at the checking station to day care for show and tell.

It isn't trophy hunting but it is rewarding to get a good quantity of high quality meat off my own land.

I respect your effort, Brad, well done.

This will likely be my last entry as finally my adrenalin is calming down. . .

Yesterday morning I took the deer to my butcher and waited while he caped it out, then drove it north to Howland area to my favorite taxidermist. My choice for a mount was a no-brainer. He showed me a new style; a sneak but with an uplifted head with mouth slightly open simulating a grunt. It was an extra $50 or so for the mouth insert but thats what killed this deer-him vocalizing to my last couple bleats which caused me to look to my right and get on him.

:laugh: Yesterday I pulled my cape and head out of the freezer, and I took it to a taxidermist here and bought the same sneak with uplifted head mount, only with the closed mouth, since mine didn't make a sound at all...I just saw a glint of light on his rack a he moved through the pines. I love that new mount...very cool, and I usually dislike taxidermy! ...Scotsman

I butchered my deer on Sat, something I had never done myself before.  If you are a deer hunter I suggest you try it.  It was interesting, and not that difficult.  Now I understand one more step of the process......
I butchered my last deer and it was a good experience.  I'm glad I did it because it gave me a finer appreciation for the services of a professional butcher.

Awesome, simply awesome.  Always nice to see these trophies go to someone who works for them and is deserving.  Way to go, Brad!

Mike