• Education
      Work
    • Scenery/Terrain/Aesthetics
      Work
    • Roots/Habit/Momentum
      Work
    • Other (please specify below)
      Work

I have a wife . This is where she wants to live . Need I say more ???

Damn Al, I think that's what I said just much more succinctly.  :)

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Rockdoc

• erik meade

• M. R. Byrd

• HuntersDad

I have a wife . This is where she wants to live . Need I say more ???

Damn Al, I think that's what I said just much more succinctly.  :)

I hear you Tom but I'm working on her !

I have lived in NH my entire life and have never given any thought to living anywhere else. Well, except for the other day. A friend sent pics from New Mexico, bright, sunny, 81 degrees. I had just come in from clearing snow off my roof.   :down:
I voted other :D  (Tired of suburban life) Having a love of the outdoor's and knowing I wasn't happy anymore chasing a dollar. Throw a dog in the mix made the move even easier. I sold my house and turned my vacation home into our new home.  My first birddog died 1 yr & 5 months after  we moved here. Heartbroken. Dam that hurt ,  I got Max so he's a country boy who think's he has these birds figured out.

I grew up in New England (Massachusetts) and live 20 miles from the house I grew up in.  I have no desire to move.  Some of the politics in Massachusetts infuriate me, but it was a great place to have our daughter grow up and go to school.  The taxes are not as bad as folks think and there are way more recreational opportunities than folks think.  Not to mention the easy access to ocean, mountains, cities, sports, etc.  

New England is a small place too, a 4 hour drive from here puts me in Quebec or NYC and, as I have recently learned, a 15 hour drive will put me in Labrador. The world is easily accessible through Boston.  

We are pretty parochial here.  Nearly everyone I know who has moved away moved back to New England.

I married my wife knowing I was stuck.  With all 4 siblings, 7 nephews/nieces living within 15 minutes of the house and mom and dad (70s/80s) literally down the street, I ain't going anywhere for a long time. Thankfully I have a good job/career and my wife is fine with outta state hunting trips etc..
I have lived in western WA my entire life and enjoy the pursuit of coastal Roosevelt elk and 30# steelhead. I have to drive 5 hrs. to find quality bird hunting which I don't mind at all. When I look into the future, I hope to find my wife and I in Idaho enjoying quality folk who think along the same lines as I.

I feel my current lifestyle meets nearly all of my needs quite nicely. With my home-on-wheels I can enjoy summer and fall just about anywhere I choose, which this year will be up north fishing and upland hunting. While I enjoy cold weather, I hate the winter depression that sets in with the relentless dreary overcast short days that the northern winters bring. So I have Arizona to go to with day after day of sunshine, beautiful starry nights, and three species of quail to hunt during a hunting season that extends all the ways into early February. Life is good. If I still had my late wife by my side my life would be perfect.

BTW I only made the mistake of wintering in Houston TX this year because I thought I finally had an opportunity to sell an oil prospect. I no sooner arrived and the price of oil crashed, along with the opportunity to sell my prospect. C'est la vie!

I have lived in NH my entire life and have never given any thought to living anywhere else.

I chose other.

Only one of five siblings still living and working in the town I have called home my whole life.

Work

Hunting

Fishing

Trapping

Outdoor recreation

All only a step out the front door.

For those that follow my adventures...enough said.  :)

I live in Appalachia because it's home.  Low cost of living, family nearby, boundless outdoors opportunities, enough work to make a living if you choose to.  All adds up to a high quality of life for me.  I walk out the back door, whistle up the dog and load my shotgun.  Literally, birds pointed 200 yards out the back door (at times.) Can hunt all the private land I want for the cost of a knock on the door and a shake of the hand. I hunt some of the same covers my father hunted 40 years ago.

My parents turned a young boy loose with bird dogs and shotguns and canoes and spinning reels, and look what happened.  I think they knew I wouldn't turn out.

I grew up in Erie, PA. I grew up chasing grouse, wc, bunnies, squirrels and the occasional pheasant. Went to Penn State Erie just a few miles from my parents house. I have a degree in Plastics Engineering. I spent a number of years in Chicago and was miserable. I was working long hours and just plain miserable. My brother talked me into going on an elk hunting trip to Colorado. On a mountain top near Blowout Pass I thought long and hard about how miserable I was. I decided to do something about it. I realized some of my happiest days were chasing grouse and WC so I decided to get back to that.

I researched and found WI or MN were in my mind the best places to chase grouse and WC. I applied for jobs and the first one that felt right was in MN. I toook it almost 10 years ago. I moved about 8 months after that trip to Colorado. My plan was to rent for a while, find where I wanted to live, by a house and get a dog.

About 1,5 years after moving to MN I bought my first home in Montrose and 6 weeks after moving in I bought home my first setter. I since have met the greatest woman ever and we are engaged. We are getting married on the North Shore this summer.

That's it. I moved here for the King and have no intention of leaving.  love it here and am the happiest I have been since I was kid with no worries and cares.

Moved here to Homosassa, Fl for the fishing and realized later about all the state land and then got back into bird dogs. Lots of land to run them, just few birds, no we just follow the dogs with a cup of coffee, leaving the gun at home. All in all its a really nice area, no snow/ice, on cool morning we take the some dogs out with the temps in the 30's and by the time we've gone a few miles its in the mid 40's or more then take the boat or horses out. I've been all over having gone in the Marine Corps at 17, doing 21 yrs and then working for the Army as a civilian for 20yrs. Spent summers in the motor home in CO, Wy, MT, catskills, mts of PA but get out when the cold starts appearing, would not want to deal with that again. Semper Fi
This is home and it has been our family's home for the last 109 years. My father was born in the house in 1912 and my oldest brother also. My place is rough and secluded. Not many people would like it, but I do.
This is home and it has been our family's home for the last 109 years. My father was born in the house in 1912 and my oldest brother also. My place is rough and secluded. Not many people would like it, but I do.

I've never been there but by the description, I like it.

It's your castle and I bet you could build many more just on the memories.

Gunflint Charlie

My answer today is "roots", etc. But with my parents and my wife's now deceased, we're building a home next year on land we bought in 1997 in the southern Black Hills. Ask then and my answer will be the same as bigjohnsd's.

Jay