Work
    • Scenery/Terrain/Aesthetics
      Work
    • Roots/Habit/Momentum
      Work
    • Other (please specify below)
      Work

Briarscratch

I live in a rural part of New Jersey less than 5 miles from the Delaware.  As far as Jersey goes, it's pretty darn nice.  My 2 acre lot is surrounded by woods, there's a stocked trout stream a short walk from my mailbox and rush hour means less than 10 cars on my road.

Still though, it's New Jersey.  It's ridiculously expensive to live here, it's crowded and highly commercialized, hunting and fishing opportunities are okay but not great, and there are way too many nanny laws.  Especially related to firearms.

On the other hand, I'm the sole surviving son of two parents in their 70s and live 30 minutes from them.  Our BIL, SIL and nieces live 45 minutes away.  My wife's friends are here, I've got a few and my kids are doing okay in school.   So I guess you could say it's family that's keeping  me here.   I'm close with my parents and I feel obligated to be around for them.

One of these days we'll make the move though.  The median income in my part of the world is  $130K +/-.    This means that you have to make a lot of dinero just to survive.   At some point, I'd like get off the hamster wheel and live in a place where the views are more inspiring, I can take up painting again, hunt grouse, fish for trout and hang out with more hippies and bikers.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Rockdoc

• erik meade

• M. R. Byrd

• HuntersDad

At some point, I'd like get off the hamster wheel and live in a place where the views are more inspiring, I can take up painting again, hunt grouse, fish for trout and hang out with more hippies and bikers.

So you're moving to Hot Springs, NC? Not a bad choice!

What Al said earlier, I have a wife and this where she wants to live. And at 77 I don't see myself making any major changes.

A life lesson learned if you younger guys have a dream to do something different from what you are doing or moving to another area DO IT NOW. don't wake up at age 77 wondering what you missed.

Born and raised in Philly area.  Lived down south, out west, in NYC and in England, for periods of my life.

When all said and done, a quote from Dorothy from Wiz of Oz came to mind.

There is no place like home!

Kansas Bound

Born and raised in sw Iowa.  Went to college in Missouri and took a job in Kansas City.  I am trying to make partner so my job is what is keeping me here.  

At times I wish I was living out west with the views but I guess the family is what keeps me here in the midwest.  My mother and father arent getting any younger.

northshoreruffs
I was born and raised in Minnesota and plan to be back there permanently eventually.  My job dictates my location for now, which isn't all bad.  It normally puts me in some pretty awesome locations.  My next stop is in Summer Lake, Oregon for 6 + months and I'm excited to have another new state and area to explore.
A life lesson learned if you younger guys have a dream to do something different from what you are doing or moving to another area DO IT NOW. don't wake up at age 77 wondering what you missed.

Great advice. I couldn't agree more!

I bought my home at age 25. Now nearly 61, I wake up every morning and look at our home and land and thank my lucky stars I had the vision to settle here 36 years ago.

Ken

northshoreruffs -- What the heck are you doing for a living in Summer Lake?  Buddy of mine has a cabin just a half mile or so from Ana Res. so I'm down there from time to time.  You better go have a side of beef at the Cowboy Dinner Tree before you leave the area!
Greg Hartman

Great advice. I couldn't agree more!

I bought my home at age 25. Now nearly 61, I wake up every morning and look at our home and land and thank my lucky stars I had the vision to settle here 36 years ago.

Ken

Yep.  Could not agree more.  No matter how hard you worked to get to your dreams, something that you had absolutely nothing to do with can bring your dreams crashing down before you can realize them.  Don't put off your dreams to do what others expect of you.  In the end, no one will thank you and you'll have lost your dreams.

What Al said earlier, I have a wife and this where she wants to live. And at 77 I don't see myself making any major changes.

I strongly agree. At nearly 63 I have no regrets about most of the things I've done in life, but I do regret some of the things I missed.

northshoreruffs
northshoreruffs -- What the heck are you doing for a living in Summer Lake?  Buddy of mine has a cabin just a half mile or so from Ana Res. so I'm down there from time to time.  You better go have a side of beef at the Cowboy Dinner Tree before you leave the area!

Working for Oregon Fish and Wildlife on the Mountain Quail translocation project.  I might have to buy you a few beers for some fishing tips!

I put other, which would be for ideological reasons. Work would have applied I guess but I had a good job in Asheville, NC which is a great place to live when I moved here. Had a hard time writing this and didn't think I could but maybe I can.

Always figured after I retired from the Navy would end up back in the Northern Tier of Pa. My wife (now Ex after 25 years) was from there too and resisted it strongly so never made it back "home". Lived all over the country while in the Navy and my favorite place overall is the Pacific Northwest, Western NC is a close second though.

About 15 years ago my father passed away of esophagus cancer and shortly after a headhunter contact me about moving to Mn. Timing was right in my life and figured I wasn't smart enough to cure cancer but could help those that might. Never dreamed I would move here until then and took me awhile to come to like this place. No family except my own here and no mountains. Trout fishing is good and Pope and Young HQ and museum is just down the road for a reason, although I no longer hunt big game just birds. Birds are scarce here but a few hours drive North is some of the best ruff grouse hunting anyplace, and world class pheasant hunting a days drive to the West.

My job turned out well in fact beyond my wildest expectations as far as money and position. The world of research is not pretty and I ended up switching to supporting those that take care of the currently sick patients. Recently Mayo Clinic was selected as the No. 1 hospital in the US. 2 months ago found out my youngest son who is 24 has cancer, advanced stage IVB lymphoma and has a poor prognoses. He immediately volunteered for experimental treatment and if things don't work out he wants to donate his body to science. We have come far but still a long way to go in the search of a cure (and treatment) for cancer. Having to go through this we are in the best place in the US if not the world to go through it. People fly in from all around the world to get treated here. I have no regrets for moving and living here at this point and do believe it was the right thing to do.