Hitch hikers and hitch hiking.

I'm in the same age group as a Brad and I too did a lot of hitching in the 70's. Had some real interesting times, some good some not so good. One memorable Jan. night coming from Utah to Albuquerque, I stood in a blizzard in the Four Corners area for 5 hrs. Finally a trucker picked me up, that was no fun. Another time, my BIL and I took off to Alaska. Packed our backpacks and made it about 5 miles out of town. We were standing on the interstate with our Alaska or bust sign when who should happen by but my sister. We hadn't told anyone we were going. She pulled over and firmly told my BIL that he was not going to Alaska. At 18 years old I wasn't too sure about going alone, so there went my career on the pipeline. I often wonder where I'd be today if my sister hadn't come along right then.
  • Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Rockdoc

• browndrake

• Brad Eden

• Ben Hong

Hitch hiked quite a lot in the late 60's earlier 70's. Much in NJ where after a warning the police ticketed me.  Often by gays making a sales pitch. Also NY and Vermont.  Quebec to New Brunswick, Nova Scotia and PEI. I remember in hippy days in New Brunswick my uncle and his buddies passing me by. He probably didn't recognize me or let his buddies know we were related. Mostly nice people, young but some oddballs.  It was exciting at the time.  

I would consider picking up a hitch hiker if I they looked sane and safe.

I used to hitchhike home from base when I was in the service. If you were wearing your uniform it was real easy to get picked up.

Not a very honorable use of the uniform, but any port in a storm, as they say.

I'd be very reluctant to pick anyone up today. Not saying I never would though.

Mike Connally

I've hitched a few times as a kid. Haven't needed to since the 70's. My gut feeling is to never pick up a hitchhiker now. The last one I picked up was on a dirt road on Massanutten Mountain. My son was with me at the time and he was in pretty good shape.  I was pretty sure the two of us could keep anything bad from happening. Turned out the guy was from the neighborhood I grew up in and knew people I played with as a child.

It would have to be a pretty special circumstance these days for me to even consider picking anyone up.

I used to hitchhike a lot. In high school I worked at a grocery store and would often hitchhike home at 2am, no problems ever. Over the years I picked up a lot of hitchhikers, then in about 1975 I picked up a guy on the expressway outside of Menlo Park. When he got in my car all I had to do was look in his eyes and all I could think was “Oh $hit!” He proceeded to rant about how he was constantly being harassed by the police and how he was headed down to the state mental institution just outside of San Jose to check himself in. Fortunately I hadn’t mentioned how far south I was going and found myself getting off the expressway at the next clover leaf so I could rid myself of Mr. Police Harassed Loony Tunes. It’s too bad there’s people like that in society that have to spoil a good thing. I do commonly stop to help people, particularly women. After all, over the years many people have stopped and helped me.

We live in a popular outdoor destination and see people from all over the world. Hitching is a very regular for of transportation by people in our community. On weekends it can suck though - tourists are wigged out by someone hitching.

It is not uncommon that I'll hike a high alpine traverse and come out at a trail head 8 - 10 miles up the highway. On weekdays I'll be picked up immediately - even if I have a dog with me. On weekends it is impossible.

Tried hitch hiking in Mongolia once. I had to wait three days for a vehicle to pass. They picked me up.

Check out the Ride Share section of CL. I provide rides when I can.

Tiger MT's Carter
Seemed to me like begging...

One could also look at it like; there is a person who could use a little help. One never really knows.

Last time I picked up a hitchhiker, it was a G.I. in full U.S. Army dress uniform and toting a duffel bag.

I very seldom see 'hikers any more.  They're usually the local drunks heading to/from the liquor store in town.  Let 'em walk and ponder the poor choices they've made in life - like getting behind the wheel drunk!

Like many here from that era I hitchhiked a lot in the sixties.  It was a common practice and didn't have a stigma/fear attached to it like it does today.  Once hitched from Camp Lejeune, NC to Jamestown, NY, that was my longest.  Met all kinds of people, mostly pretty nice, never had anything bad or threatening happen.

I used to pick up hitchhikers but haven't in many years.  Truthfully I rarely see one around where I live.  When down in Florida I notice many more people hitchhiking than here in Pa.

I have picked up 2 over the last 2 yrs. First one was a backpacker who was walking to the Appalachian Trail and the other was a guy and his dog heading to maryland for work from Southern wva. I think I'm a pretty good judge of character.  After talking to someone I can usually tell a straight up person or smell bull $h;+ pretty quickly.  I gave both a ride with no problems.

I used to hitch hike a fair amount in the late 60's/early 70's. Didn't really think much about it, other than a means to an end! Zero problems encountered.

Used to occasionally pick up a hitch hikers as well in the 60's 70's. I haven't done so for quite some time and I doubt I currently would.

Hitch hiked in college.  From West Lafayette to northern Indiana and back.  Was hitching back south and was picked up by a young man from Cleaveland TN.  He was disappointed I wasn't going all the way down US41 thru Evansville and Nashville.  He couldn't read and could use help reading road signs.

I'll pick someone up if they look like they're a halfway decent human in need of a ride. Its been a little while since I've seen someone hitching, but I give a bunch of people rides if they miss their canoe shuttle at the takeout across the street from my house. I figure it's good karma.

With regards to actually getting rides, that's rare since I do look like one of those aforementioned escaped convicts.

Seemed to me like begging...

One could also look at it like; there is a person who could use a little help. One never really knows.

That is my own feeling if I have to hitch hike.

Depending on the look of the situation and my feelings overall, I generally will give a hitchhiker a ride, especially if I have my own companion in the car.