Hitch hikers and hitch hiking.

I went to Grove City college as a freshman/sophomore while my girlfriend (now wife) was at Clarion.  I used to thumb up there nearly every weekend (about 40 miles away).  Ended up transferring to Clarion midway through my sophomore year (spring of 1980) and didn't have the need to hitchhike much after that.  A few times up to Cook forest and back while at Clarion.  

I very rarely see anyone thumbing any more.  If they looked like a clean cut college kid, I'd probably give them a ride.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Rockdoc

• browndrake

• Brad Eden

• Ben Hong

I haven't seen a hitchhiker in many years.

Personally, I wouldn't hitch, or stop and pick up.  I've no desire to have my picture on a milk carton....  "It rubs the lotion on its skin or else it gets the hose again."   :ghostface:

I haven't seen a hitchhiker in many years.

Personally, I wouldn't hitch, or stop and pick up.  I've no desire to have my picture on a milk carton....  "It rubs the lotion on its skin or else it gets the hose again."   :ghostface:

x2 ROTFLMAO  great post

A couple years ago bird hunting in VT with my Boykin I was a couple miles away from my car and was making my way back on a country road. Put my thumb out & the first guy driving by picked me up, in a jeep, with shotgun & dog.

My son & I have been picked up in Maine walking down a logging road with dog & guns WITHOUT sticking out a thumb.

PartridgeCartridge

Great topic.

I used to do it all of the time in the late 70's and early 80's, mostly getting to college or down to the shore.

I met some great people doing it and a few kooks, and with just a few exceptions, most people were down to earth folks just lending a hand or being friendly.

I don't see too many people with their thumbs out these days. Kind of sad actually, as it was a testament of a different time when people respected and trusted strangers based on the belief that most people were good people.

What has happened to this world?

Ah the great american novel "On the road". Things have sure changed since Kerouac and Cassidy haven't they. Setterchick hitches every year when backpacking the AT, Colorado or some other trail with two other women to get back to the trailhead. I have picked up hikers and day workers in Colorado often. The open road in the south, hell no. Location,location, location.

I did a good bit of hitch hiking in the early 90's while thru hiking the AT. It was the way to get into towns for a resupply that the trail was close to but not going through.

Met some interesting folks, some odd but most all real nice and glad to help. Along the way I met many great Americans and was the beneficiary of "trail magic" (folks doing nice things and/or giving goodies) along the way. Rides were always much appreciated.

I have not seen a hitch hiker in years that I can remember but have given rides to people that have broken down or run out of gas. I have a 18 mile ride to and from work and have more opportunity to help than you might think. Hopefully my luck will continue and never have  a problem doing so.

I've never hitchiked, never put out a thumb but have been given a ride a few times I needed one.(breakdowns, hunting) I have picked up a few that looked alright especially in weather. Almost offered today in the snow but the guy lit up a cig as i approached him, cant stand it.  I stop for most people needing help except when children are with me. May offer to call for them then but not taking any chance.

My girls tell me not to stop for women/girls that I will scare them but I tell them I stop because if I do I know nothing bad will happen, even if they are scared they are safe.

I have never hitch hiked myself.

Back in the day when military pay was so low I did pick up people in uniform. As a young officer I figured I owed them that. Pay is fairly decent now so you don't find nearly so many GIs with their thumbs out.

Also gave rides to the occasional damsel in distress (or not!) semi lost hunter or very inebriated local somewhere in Europe. Some funny stories there!

I USED to pick up Mexicans looking for work. They were almost always very hungry but generally had water in a 1 liter plastic jug, tied around their necks with a piece of old haybailer twine. They would get water out of every cattle trough they found. You could always see the bits of moss from the trough floating in their bottle. They were very polite, respectful and ragged and only asked for work, NEVER a hand out. They ate a lota of sandwiches but I felt pretty good about it.

Now-a-days I would NEVER pick up a Mexican or OTM (Border Patrol speak for other than Mexican.) 9/10ths of them are druggies, drug mules, people let out in the middle of nowhere by their coyotes. Very bad deal. Come to think of it, I prolly would't pick up anyone today.

Living and driving in Texas, especially in the winter, you find bums traveling from one place to another along the east-west interstate highways. I never stop; some of then are not right in the head or are doppers. Why in the sam hill does some one make his way from one place to another when all they do is be a bum no matter where they are?

One of life's many mysteries.

Back in the early mid seventies that was my mode of transportation.  That's how I got to and from school or anywhere else.  

I'm on the road a lot for work and often pass highway crossings of the AT.  I will often pick up through hikers and give them rides to town or back to the trail head.  I prefer the ones heading back to the trail as they smell a lot better than the ones just coming into town. :)

People keep asking, what happened to those safe simple times we used to live in? I feel that part of it is population. Even if the crime percentages stay the same, with a larger population the number of crimes increases. Add to that a news media that makes its living glorifying crime and spreading fear and it’s no wonder no one will pick up hitch hikers these days. Below is some information about population growth that I poached off the computer. If you were to ask me, I feel that mankind’s biggest natural threat is overpopulation. However, nature has ways of keeping population in check, it’s just ways that mankind won’t like very much.

According to demographers, the world's population didn't reach 1 billion until 1804, and it took 123 years to hit the 2 billion mark in 1927. Then the pace accelerated — 3 billion in 1959, 4 billion in 1974, 5 billion in 1987, 6 billion in 1998, 7 billion in 2011, looking ahead, the U.N. projects that the world population will reach 8 billion by 2025.

People keep asking, what happened to those safe simple times we used to live in? I feel that part of it is population. Even if the crime percentages stay the same, with a larger population the number of crimes increases. Add to that a news media that makes its living glorifying crime and spreading fear and it’s no wonder no one will pick up hitch hikers these days. Below is some information about population growth that I poached off the computer. If you were to ask me, I feel that mankind’s biggest natural threat is overpopulation. However, nature has ways of keeping population in check, it’s just ways that mankind won’t like very much.

According to demographers, the world's population didn't reach 1 billion until 1804, and it took 123 years to hit the 2 billion mark in 1927. Then the pace accelerated — 3 billion in 1959, 4 billion in 1974, 5 billion in 1987, 6 billion in 1998, 7 billion in 2011, looking ahead, the U.N. projects that the world population will reach 8 billion by 2025.

Fact is violent crime is way down compared to 20-30 years ago.

I think its just the 24 hr new cycle is so sensationalist we now here about every bad thing that happens, so we are all unnecessarily paranoid.

I never hitchhiked or picked them up. That probably is due to a story dad told when I was very young. It happened before I was born. Dad was on his way home form one of his 9 brothers house when he picked up a hitchhiker. Dad told him he was only going a few miles but the guy put a knife to dad's throat and told him he was going across the state, like it or not. Dad normally did not carry a firearm but he had a shotgun his brother had set his eyes on and insisted on trading a pistol to. Dad had tucked the unloaded pistol under the front seat for the ride home. At a stop dad got the jump on the guy and told him to get out or he would "fill him full of holes". Dad said he left in a hurry.
Nowadays it’s carjackers that people have to worry about. Since I always wear my seat belt I’ve always figured that if someone jumped into the passenger’s seat I’d simply drive the car into a tree and see how much Mr. Carjacker enjoyed meeting my good friend the windshield.
I think its just the 24 hr new cycle is so sensationalist we now here about every bad thing that happens, so we are all unnecessarily paranoid.

Exactly!  And with 24 hours to fill, you not only hear about it but you hear it repeated over and over.  This is also one of he main reasons kids today have almost no contact with nature. Their parents are terrified to let them outside. This, coupled with computers, tv, and video games keeps most kids inside all the time.

The motto "If it bleeds, it leads!" is not too far from the truth. It's all about ratings/money. Unfortunately if there wasn't a market for this stuff they wouldn't cover it. We have seen the enemy, and he is us!