Hitch hikers and hitch hiking.

Back in the early mid seventies that was my mode of transportation.  That's how I got to and from school or anywhere else.  

I'm on the road a lot for work and often pass highway crossings of the AT.  I will often pick up through hikers and give them rides to town or back to the trail head.  I prefer the ones heading back to the trail as they smell a lot better than the ones just coming into town. :)

As I replied earlier one of the 2 hitch hikers I gave a ride to was walking along the highway not thumbing but waved as I passed him. I was on my way home from catering a BBQ and had an abundance of left over chicken and sides. He was waiting to cross the road where I turn. I rolled down my window and asked him what his story was. He told me he left central Illinois a month ago. He was walking to the Appalachian Trail just outside of Harrisburg pa. His mother lived in Maine and he was walking there to spend the winter. Seemed real straight up .  I asked if he was hungry and if he would like some chicken. He said yes of course. Long story short he wound up camping the night at my place and I dropped him off along the turnpike near Harrisburg the next day and saved him a 120 mile walk. I hope he made it. Real cool young man.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Rockdoc

• browndrake

• Brad Eden

• Ben Hong

Hitched a few rides in the late 80's after getting out of high school. Never had a problem. I live only a few miles from the Appalachian trail so occasionally I will give a through hiker a lift. I only do it when I'm driving alone and not if Any of my family is in the car. I figure I wouldn't want them to pay for any poor judgment on my part.

In the 60s I would hitch all over. The lifeguards at the beach would hitch with there orange speedos in their hand.....always were the first to get picked up.

Always picked up guys in uniform.

Would hitch back upstream when floating a canoe. Carrying an orange life jacket meant you wanted a ride back to where you left your car.

When the NY blackout occurred the cops were stopping cars and filling them with people walking across the Brooklyn Bridge. I got to drive a nice middle aged lady home who was grateful. Back then there was no thought of problems.

I worked with a guy who hitched and camped across the west every summer. He got a ride once and when the car stopped at a gas station it left with all his stuff while he was inside.

Can't remember when I saw someone hitching last. If I was alone I would still pick someone up.

When we were in High School and riding around in my buddy's car he would stop for a hitchhiker and when he got close enough he would take off and laugh himself silly till he stopped one day for a hitchhiker and pulled that stunt and his car stalled, the hitchhiker caught up with us and the guy pulled him out of his car and beat the crap out of our buddy while we sat in the seat and laughed our butts off.  ahhhhh the good old days.
Gunflint Charlie

I did it a lot in the early '70s during my first couple years as college student without a car. Usually it was the 70 mile trip between the college town and my home town. It's probably been 20 years since I've given a ride to a hitchhiker, but I think I'd do it if the situation felt safe. Just don't see many any more.

Jay

pa'tridge hunters

Used to do it all the time in the early 70's.

If I see someone with a lunch box or a tool belt over their shoulder in the morning or afternoon I'll stop and give them a ride.

Did it a few times here 80s and 90s.  In Russia I did as a matter of course for years and several times a week.  I suppose it was more "gypsy cab " as you flagged down a car negotiated a price to destination and off ya went.
I used to hitch a lot floating rivers and hiking.  It freaked my wife out and she made me promise to give it up.  I was always carrying in some capacity and have always been pretty good at taking care of myself.  I don't ever pick people up, but stop to help etc.
As a young Soldier in Fayetteville, NC, in the early 90's, I stopped to give a ride to a "damsel in distress". Having grown up in the UP, it was common to give rides to people because everyone knew everyone else. Anyway, I stop, she gets in, and then she asks me "Are you a cop?" Damsel, my ass.

I hitched all over Northern California in the early '70s.  Primarily from San Francisco or Berkley up to Sacramento and then North to Yuba City.  Usually easy to get a ride with a sign. No odd experience to relate, one guy did tell me he had a pistol.

I have picked up a few guys while driving cars around the country.  Not often though, very situationally dependent.

Seems like the average young folks just don't hitch any more. A few foreign tourists, mostly european.

Over the years I picked up a lot of hitchhikers, then in about 1975 I picked up a guy on the expressway outside of Menlo Park. When he got in my car all I had to do was look in his eyes and all I could think was “Oh $hit!” He proceeded to rant about how he was constantly being harassed by the police and how he was headed down to the state mental institution just outside of San Jose to check himself in. Fortunately I hadn’t mentioned how far south I was going and found myself getting off the expressway at the next clover leaf so I could rid myself of Mr. Police Harassed Loony Tunes.

Was that you I picked up Big John?

I have never planned on getting anywhere by hitch-hiking.   I have done so a couple times when I had car troubles.  I have only picked up people that I could see had car troubles.  I know of too many people that have had bad experiences to want to put myself in that position.

I avoid hitching or picking them up when possible.  Mostly a safety thing.

Last time I hitched a ride was a couple winters ago.  I was working out in the hills.  Company vehicle broke down about 10 miles off pavement and about 35 miles from town.  

By the time I hit pavement it was getting late.  I figured that I could get to spotty cell service in about 7-10 miles from there.  It was about 15 degrees outside.  Although I had a fleece lined levi jacket, I was not dressed at all for the 10-15° weather and the north wind blowing on me.  I would have thought that somebody would pull over for me, but nobody did (and many people passed by) until about 10:30 that night.  I hiked 5 miles of highway before anybody stopped.  It was an older Christian couple travelling west to visit grandchildren.

I think that people are scared to pick up hitch-hikers any more.  You can trust me, not only am I harmless, but I was way too cold that night to have been a danger to anybody.  I am glad that there are some people that still stop for half frozen, broken down people..

I avoid hitching or picking them up when possible.  Mostly a safety thing.

Last time I hitched a ride was a couple winters ago.  I was working out in the hills.  Company vehicle broke down about 10 miles off pavement and about 35 miles from town.  

By the time I hit pavement it was getting late.  I figured that I could get to spotty cell service in about 7-10 miles from there.  It was about 15 degrees outside.  Although I had a fleece lined levi jacket, I was not dressed at all for the 10-15° weather and the north wind blowing on me.  I would have thought that somebody would pull over for me, but nobody did (and many people passed by) until about 10:30 that night.  I hiked 5 miles of highway before anybody stopped.  It was an older Christian couple travelling west to visit grandchildren.

Maybe what you experienced was karma... just sayin'

You also got me thinking, maybe it'd be a good idea to carry a gas can in your car so if you break down you can carry the gas can as you hitchhike and people will see you as someone in need and not a potential criminal.

BTW during the years past when I did a lot of hitchhiking I found it far easier to get a ride if I'd wait by an intersection or somewhere people could easily stop to pick me up.

Maybe what you experienced was karma... just sayin'

they say that what goes around, comes around..

Gas can may not be a bad idea.

You also got me thinking, maybe it'd be a good idea to carry a gas can in your car so if you break down you can carry the gas can as you hitchhike and people will see you as someone in need and not a potential criminal.

If your ride breaks down often enough that that you are focusing on optimizing hitchhiking - you need a better ride.  :p