Hitch hikers and hitch hiking.

On a lot of western rivers it's pretty common to hitch back upstream after float fishing downstream. Just carry a life jacket as Irsh Eyes mentioned or wave a fly rod.

On a Forest Service road I picked up an elk hunter whose horse ran off. When I got to his camp there was no feed, horse gear, water buckets, other horses, etc. Makes you wonder....

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Rockdoc

• browndrake

• Brad Eden

• Ben Hong

I've never hitch hiked in the US, but it was a frequent mode of transportation in the Peace Corps.  A car seat was a lot more comfortable than squeezed into a shaking, shuddering public transportation bus for hours.  Never have picked a hitch hiker up.  It seems like a judgment call based solely on appearances, and for whatever reason I always see the shady ones.  Either that or I'm a chicken. ???

You also got me thinking, maybe it'd be a good idea to carry a gas can in your car so if you break down you can carry the gas can as you hitchhike and people will see you as someone in need and not a potential criminal.

If your ride breaks down often enough that that you are focusing on optimizing hitchhiking - you need a better ride.  :p

+1

When I was a teenager on trips to the nearest big town my Mom would let me drive to get more experience behind the wheel. One trip, we spied a pair of young female hitchhikers thumbing for a ride. While passing, one of them pulled up her shirt and exposed her natural assets. I learned at that moment that some young ladies were averse to wearing undergarments. My Mom (the original church lady) burst out laughing.

Having Mom ride shotgun on that day kinda ruined the every-teenage-boy's fantasy.

Use to hitch rides all over Germany when I was there, got picked up every time.  One night about 2:00 AM there were 6 of us drunk GIs about 60 miles from our tack site,  a young girl picked us up in a duck (Citroen) it was a tight fit but she was going right by our destination.   After I got a car I would pick up just about everybody if I had the room.    

In the US deepens on the situation, I picked up lost hunters and was picked up myself once hoofing it back to the car.  The last hitcher I picked up was in Columbus OH about 24 years ago, felt sorry for the guy and stopped.  It turns out that  he just got out of jail, was busted for trying to pick up a prostitute.  Kept ragging on the cops, took him to what appeared to be a crack house, he was meeting some friends there.  Now days it depends on the situation, I will stop for people in need of help like broken down car or something, but that’s about it.  

Barna

Birdcountry70
I saw a TV show once a long time ago which had a guy that bought a red metal gas can layed it on its side and cut it in half and added hinges and a hasp and converted it into a suitcase.  He always had people pull over immediately to offer a ride.  When they found out what was going on some people thought it was funny and some made him get out.  I thought it was pretty creative.
braque du upstate
Pretty stupid but i gave a guy a ride last night. I've had people help me out. Try and help when i can. The guy had a story about his girlfriend leaving him at the gas station a few hundred yds from my house. Seemed a bit odd , but believable. Guy had on a sweatshirt and it was f ing freezing out.  I give him a ride 4 miles down the road and something was up. Didn't seem dangerous, but i called 911 when i got home. 2 minutes later i had a k9 tracking team in my yard. Think he may have been dwi, or worse. I didn't smell alcohol. They had 7 patrol cars involved.  I  drove by what looked like a dwi stop. 3 cop cars . Then they had the ramps blocked like they do for check point Charlie. Cops interviewed me, never called back.  Dying to know what happened.   Could have been bad. I know better. Being a nice guy has burned me more than once.  Usually i'm a bit paranoid and security conscious.  Guy caught me pulling into my driveway, wasn't my normal routine.  Good way to end up dead.
Slightly off topic, but the best movie scene about hitch hiking is to be seen in the movie "The Jerk" starring Steve Martin, about 40 years ago. In fact the whole damn movie was pretty funny.
Dakota Dogman
 Guy caught me pulling into my driveway, wasn't my normal routine.  Good way to end up dead.

Seems to me getting him 10 miles down the road would be cheap insurance.  Rather have him gone than near the family.

Picked up a couple now and again, mostly young guys trying to make some miles.  Not for several years now though... I've got a family & seldom am in a car alone.

About 10 years back, when we were still in the middle of no-where SD had a guy trying to camp the night on the church steps.  Not that we would have minded that, but there was one of those major SD summer thunder storms building up and I couldn't stand the thought of him being caught out there for that.  On the ride to the hotel found out he was from England on a walk-about across the USA.  Quite a walk if you ask me.  

I'm with Ben for my self though... I'm just not able to ask.  Maybe if I grew up in a different culture, but in my world you got to drive when you were @ 14... asking for a ride was just not done.  Only time I came close was to get a girl home in a pretty good snow storm.

God Bless,

Slightly off topic, but the best movie scene about hitch hiking is to be seen in the movie "The Jerk" starring Steve Martin, about 40 years ago. In fact the whole damn movie was pretty funny.

I thought you were going to reference the seen in "Up in smoke"  :D  Tommy chong hitching when Cheech maron pulled over and gave him a ride. I can can still hear Cheech yelling out " hey double bubble"   funny movies.  Who dreams up these scenes  :D

When I was a teenager on trips to the nearest big town my Mom would let me drive to get more experience behind the wheel. One trip, we spied a pair of young female hitchhikers thumbing for a ride. While passing, one of them pulled up her shirt and exposed her natural assets. I learned at that moment that some young ladies were averse to wearing undergarments. My Mom (the original church lady) burst out laughing.

Having Mom ride shotgun on that day kinda ruined the every-teenage-boy's fantasy.

That girl must've seen the classic Clark Gable-Claudette

Colbert movie "It Happened One Night".  Claudette hiked up her skirt after Gable's thumb failed.  But not as high as your hitcher, and I expect Claudette was wearing underwear.  "The limb is mightier than the thumb," she told Gable.

I've picked up a lost hunter or two, and have been picked up myself when I got turned around in the woods.  Worst one was when 3 of us got turned around in the UP a couple years back.  Somehow, my poor shorthair managed to break his foot and was 3-legging it with us.  The guy who picked us up said he would not have stopped except for the dog.  After going the wrong direction for at least an hour, one of the other guys realized his phone had gps capability.  We were heading the right way when we got picked up, but a long ways from our vehicle.

I thought you were going to reference the seen in "Up in smoke"  :D  Tommy chong hitching when Cheech maron pulled over and gave him a ride. I can can still hear Cheech yelling out " hey double bubble"   funny movies.  Who dreams up these scenes  :D

Somebody with a Labrador, man.

bennelli-banger
back in the '80's a buddy and I took amtrak to whitefish, thumbed it south to yellowstone where we hooked up with a good buddy who was a park ranger there, thumbed it back to whitefish after about a week in the park, then resumed on the train to seattle...from there we camped on the top, open-air portion of a ferry to skagway...from there, we decided to hitch back to mn...up to whitehorse, then east...lots of stories, let me tell you...made some good friends. back to mn late september to get back to the U of Mn...hard to concentrate...dropped out after about a month, went hunting, then moved to snowmass and proceeded to spend the winter as a ski bum there...worked a split shift, so I could ski every day...that was the life!  glad a I did it, but I knew it was temporary, and I did get back to school and take care of biz...one memory from the hitchhiking back from skagway....an incredibly bright blue sky intersected by some snowcapped peaks in a place called Stone Mountain Provincial Park in Northern BC...we stopped to take a break...some kind of memory.  I had already to driven to Alaska at age 18, so this wasn't my first time through this area, but there was something about that day, that place...
The strangest hitchhiker I have ever seen was standing along an exit ramp from a highway in Vermont.  There was nothing around, no homes, buildings, etc.  He stood with his thumb out and around him was woodworking equipment. Including a table saw, band saw, not sure exactly what else but it was a fair amount of stuff.  It just about killed me to not stop and find out what the story was.  But I was in my Miata with a friend and it seemed kindof rude to stop just to satisfy my curiosity when I couldn't help.  There was a fair number of vehicles coming off the highway, I assumed someone with a pickup would help him.
grousehunter 61
It all depends on where we are and what we are doing. If there is room and the person looks OK, I will stop, but not if I am just going down the road a short way. In my youth, hitchhiking was the way to go. I found that I could beat the greyhound bus going from Texas to Calif, so when on leave I would  hitchhike home, met some real nice people and a couple of a-- holes. One old man picked me up in town, nice guy, about 50 miles later in the middle of nowhere he turned left, let me out it was about 11;00 at night and we were in the desert, spent the night sleeping in the bushes. One guy who I am sure was my guardian angel, if you believe in that sort of thing, I didn't until then. I was in El Paso Texas, on the wrong side of town, a car load of guys of Hispanic decent drove by and yelled something that was not nice, In my normal way I returned the complement along with a single finger wave. Probly not the smartest thing to do, I could hear their tires squealing as they rounded the corner and were headed back, great, nowhere to hide and as the song says, nowhere to run. I readied myself for a fight and it was not looking good. Out of nowhere, came a 58 chevy, very plain, gray in color, and the car stopped, I tossed my duffel bag in and jumped in. I looked back the car I waved at was at the corner looking for where I went. He took me to Phoenix, my next ride took me to So. Cal, the next took me home....... So I do if I am alone, if the wife is with me, no. Keep in mind I always carrie a 45 auto.