Some of my fathers sayings often heard on the way to school

This is the year that counts

Economics determines everything

After all were just the head of the primates

Nobody said it was going to be fair

Mike Connally
Actually it was Kris Kristofferson.

I like Waylon's version best

Kris wrote it. And damn near everything else.

I think everyone of the Highwaymen sang it.

SODAKer

Mother: The person standing in front of you is the person standing in front you.

Father: The older you get, the more you realize you really control very little.

Female friend: You either love her enough to put up with her or you love her enough to let her go. Once you make the decision don't bitch about her.

Best friend: In the end people are who they are, live your life to the fullest with no regrets and let the chips fall.

Blaze Foley: I'm tired of runnin' 'round lookin' for answers to questions that I already know

I could build me a castle of memories just to have somewhere to go

juneboy1

These are a couple of good sayings I learned hanging around the cotton chopping string.

1. What most folks call hell I call home.

2. I'm so poor I couldn't buy a flea a wrestling jacket.....with short sleeves.

I have several more but I was just a kid and didn't have to foresight to record most of them. Most of the great sayings were in the work chants. Alan Lomax recorded lots of stuff in the Arkansas and Mississippi Delta. Most of the blues and a lot of folk songs got there start here.

topdog1961

A nephew is fond of saying:

"If ifs and buts were candy and nuts, wouldn't the world be grand."

He is a big sports fan so likely it comes from a coach somewhere, but maybe Kris Kristofferson said it first.

mshowman

One of my dad's older friends once told me, "You have to grow old but you don't have to grow up. Live by that and someday you'll thank me."

My dad (who didn't go to church but would give me change for the collection plate each Sunday morning before my mom took me) said, "For every one of these copper ones you put in the plate, take a silver one out. You'll make your mom proud, but don't tell her. Let it be a surprise."

And on a day when my shooting was even worse than normal, my buddy Bill said, "Damn Mike, shoot where they're going, not where they've been."

charlo slim

From a crusty old duck and goose hunting mentor -  "Shoot 'em where the corn goes in, not where it comes out".

From.... I really can't remember -  "Lots of things can be fixed, but stupid ain't one of them".

juneboy1
Damn SODAKER just quoted Blaze Foley the Duct Tape King!!!!!!

mshowman
A friend of mine claims that his grandfather once told him, "Boy, a man can make a living with good brains or a strong back. You need to thank the Lord for your strong back."

MN Tonester

He is a big sports fan so likely it comes from a coach somewhere, but maybe Kris Kristofferson said it first.

:D

Rex Hoppie

My son's high school football coach.

You know what you got when you got potential?

You    ain't     got    ****!

Kemo Sabe

From my hard core, coal miner grandfather:

"Your ears will often lie to you, your eyes can lie to you at times, but you nose never lies. If it tells you something stinks, it stinks. And it always will."

trust me

A childhood friend's father on keeping bad company:

"When the police raid the whorehouse, the piano player goes to jail too."

Another one I like:  It's not always easy to the do the right thing, but it's always right."

gunut
Heard this when I was a teenager. Never forgot it. Lived my life by it:

"Highly intelligent people talk about abstract things: concepts, theories, philosophy....

People of average intelligence talk about more concrete things: cars, sports, vacations, shotguns..

Stupid people talk about........other peoples shotguns."

When you think about it, and after a lifetime of observation, it's true.

true....

Wingman

Once when my grandfather and I were doing some sort of heavy work and i was young and trying to muscle everything, he told me "The strongest man in the world can lift more with his head than he can with his back."

Once when my dad and I were working on a bailer I was under it and trying to reach up and take off some bolt I couldn't see. I was reefing on it as much as I could in that awkward position.

Dad watched me for a bit and finally said, "You know, I bet that would come loose faster if you tried turning it counter clockwise."

I've since considered that not just specific advice, but metaphorical with respect to any situation where you're working really hard but what you're doing is not solving the problem.