REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
Mike Connally

Words to live by....Or drink to...

kadehippy

My old dad always said  "If it's got tits or tires it's trouble"   :x Been married to the same woman for 57 years so maybe he was wrong9_9

SEPAlander

Out of the many my dad had; this one has always stuck with me; probably because I learned it the hard way more than once.

"Lazy people work the hardest."

His is way of saying, if there's a job to, it's worth doing right.  It's always more work to do it a second time.

WhatsDaPoint

It's never so bad, that it can't get worse. 

juneboy1

I remember many years ago when Clinton was running for governor of Arkansas  one of his favorite sayings was "If a turtle was on a fence post you know it didn't get there by itself". He still has a million of those, I wish I had the foresight to write them down.

Fin2Feather

One from my dad:

Wish in one hand and sh!t in the other and see which one fills up first.

And this one I actually heard from Tom Selleck on an episode of Blue Bloods; don't know if it's a quote or something written for the show, but I like it:

I cannot do everything, but I can do something,

And I will not let what I cannot do interfere with what I can do. 

HAMMER DOG

Heres to cheating, stealing, fighting and drinking. If you cheat may you cheat death, if you steal may you steal a womans heart, if you fight may you fight for a brother. If you drink may you drink with me.

Spin
On ‎7‎/‎25‎/‎2016 at 10:57 AM, HAMMER DOG said:

Heres to cheating, stealing, fighting and drinking. If you cheat may you cheat death, if you steal may you steal a womans heart, if you fight may you fight for a brother. If you drink may you drink with me.

I'm going to write that one down Hammerdog. I hate to say it but for my favorite post (out of a sea of dandies) Walt Lister's "hold my beer and watch this" is topping my list.

HAMMER DOG

@Spin Lord knows in my youth I said Yall hold my beer and watch this, probably too many times LOL.

CptSydor

My father gave me these two gems. One more profound than he likely intended, the other just smart.

1) Probably after he heard my first complaint when I got a real job in high school. " You are always going to work with some who doesn't pull their own weight and you are always going to work with an asshole. Get used to it." That was his way of saying (or my interpretation), work hard and worry about what you are doing/accomplishing and how you present yourself. In the end, it will work out in your favor (and it always did for me). I tried to pass that advice on to hundreds, if not thousands of students.

2) As I left for university. "Wrap it up, you don't want to ruin your life with a kid at this point"

salmontogue

My dad told me, "It's the assholes who make you appreciate the good people".

Perk

NW River Mac

I had a coach once who wouldn't tolerate us being disrespectful of others and especially the opposing team.  Each time a player would point out a crude or lewd comment or action that an opposing player, coach or parent said or did he would calmly say to us "now you know how not to act."   That has stuck with me for fifty years.

Brad Eden

Let your conscience be your guide.

Pull my finger.

Crazy Horse

I'm late to this thread, but for all you military guys you may have heard this one sometime during your tour of duty. This was a favorite phrase in Nam many years ago. I'm sure it still applies today.

Lifer: same same fly. Eat schit and bother people.

grouse28

My grandfather said about some people, "he's so crooked he could shoot through a barrel of pretzels and not hit a one"

Not a quote to live by but very descriptive of some people to avoid.

salmontogue

My dad used to say, "He's so crooked that when he dies they won't need to bury him, they can just screw him into the ground".

My favorite with a drink...May you sit on he tack of success and rise quickly.

Perk