REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
Mike Connally

Words to live by....Or drink to...

bntsetter

"Failure is the opportunity to begin again more intelligently". - Fortune cookie

"There is only one way to do something, the right way." - MY father

MN Tonester

One of my grandfather's favorites:  "Hell was made for priests and lawyers"

gunsrus

''Life , be it a daring adventure or be it nothing at all !''

walt lister

Out of the dark we came, into the dark we go. Like a storm-driven bird at night we fly out of the Nowhere; for a moment our wings are seen in the light of the fire, and, lo! we are gone again into the Nowhere

H Ryder Haggard from King Solomon's Mines

charlo slim

In reply to the ubiquitous greeting -  "How are you doing?",  "How's it goin'?", etc:  Compared to what?

skipper

my dad to me,  you do something stupid like that i will kick your ass until your nose bleeds.                                                                                a friends father would say, if you boys are going out with them girls tonight make sure you wear your raincoat

Kansas Big Dog

My mother said, "If wishes were horses, we would all ride."

"Don't ever look a gift horse in the mouth."

grouse28

My old boss to a less than stellar employee - "you do that again and I'll nail your balls to a stump and push you off backwards"

Rex Hoppie

A boss asks you: how many fence posts are there up Tucker Creek Road?  Don't ask why he wants to know, say I don't know boss but by 2 PM we both will know.

topdog1961

A now sexist sounding quote of my mother's about running a household that I wish my wife understood:

"A woman can throw more out the back door with a spoon than a man can bring in the front door with a shovel."  

grouse28

Money may not buy happiness but it can buy you a favorable verdict, a favorable law, and a favorable legis-critter.

Field Grade

'There is no such joy in the tavern as on the road thereto.' -Cormac McCarthy.

(That one comes to mind during skull-splitting hangovers.)

'When I read about the evils of drinking, I immediately quit reading.' -Henny Youngman.

'Dad drove a stock car to an early death/ All I remember was a drunk man's breath" -Rodney Crowell.

'Ain't in in for my health.' -Levon Helm.

'Some men, like bats, have eyes only for darkness.' (can't remember source).

JB1

"Seasons is what you put on your birds, not when you get them" Uncle Shuk

charlo slim

I'd rather die peacefully in my sleep like Grandpa then screaming hysterically like his passengers.

Brad Eden

I worked on the summer painting, floor finishing and repair crew at an elementary school while in college. When I would complain about the job my boss would say "The door swings both ways, you can come in and you can go out". In other words if you don't like it find another job. I've used a version of that on occasion here when someone complains about the Board; "The sign-in swings both ways, you can sign-in and you can sign-out."