REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
Ben Hong

Play the Gypsy

If the St. Louis Blues were intelligent, they would be feeding off the talent of Vladimir Tarasenko.

apparently someone in St. Louis read this column and applied the advice.  Hope the Wild skate a bit faster and lay a few more hits tonight

The real Blues team showed up on Wednesday. If they play like that every game, they will make a deep run. I am sticking to my guns in that I don't see anyone stopping Anaheim or this re-energized Blues team.

Ducks win the cup.

Big Al

Heading out to the 5th game of the Red Wing-Lightning series. This has turned into a very entertaining series. Hope the Bolts don't need the last minute heroics that happened in game four.  

Go Bolts!!!!!

dogrunner
Ah those pesky Wings, after chitting the bed last game they come back and pull a Shutout in Fla.  :D

Ben Hong
What the hell happened to the Blues?

Gunflint Charlie

Blues couldn't match the Wild's speed, didn't match their relentless effort -- poor Wild effort in game 4 excepted.

Pomoxis

Blues couldn't match the Wild's speed, didn't match their relentless effort -- poor Wild effort in game 4 excepted.

My take is a little different. Hitchcock went with a rookie goalie that was hot and cold. Allen played horribly in games 5 and 6. Yes the Wild played fast but the Blues out shot and out scoring chanced them in almost every game. I think the Wild were very lucky to get out of this one.

erik meade

:down:    :down:  

We are aptly named - it would seem.

Gunflint Charlie

My take is a little different. Hitchcock went with a rookie goalie that was hot and cold. Allen played horribly in games 5 and 6. Yes the Wild played fast but the Blues out shot and out scoring chanced them in almost every game. I think the Wild were very lucky to get out of this one.

Allen wasn't nearly as good as Dubnyk -- big factor. With better goaltending for the Blues, I think yesterday's game might have gone to OT. But then Wild wouldn't have been sitting back so much in their checking game.

Other than the game 4 oddity, the Blues edge in shots came mostly in the 3rd period of game 5 in St. Louis, when the Wild held the lead, clogged the middle in front of Dubnyk with great hustle, dumped the puck out again and again. Few of the Blues shots were uncontested, rebounds were quickly cleared. Hitchcock predicted between games that the Wild would tire in game 6 because "they absorbed a lot" in that period. But their energy didn't flag at all -- it was the Blues that wilted Sunday under the Wild's checking pressure in the 3rd. Hitchcock did a clever job of coaching through the media before game 4. Didn't work so well before the last 2 games.

The Blues one goal yesterday came when Dubnyk was impeded getting to the post by a defender at the edge of the crease. Their one great close-in scoring chance came off a turnover by Dumba, and Dubnyk stuffed it. Goaltending is so big in the playoffs, and the Wild are getting it.

Jay

Allen wasn't nearly as good as Dubnyk -- big factor. With better goaltending for the Blues, I think yesterday's game might have gone to OT. But then Wild wouldn't have been sitting back so much in their checking game.

The Blues edge in shots came mostly in the 3rd period of game 5 in St. Louis, when the Wild held the lead, clogged the middle in front of Dubnyk with great hustle, dumped the puck out again and again. Few of the Blues shots were uncontested, rebounds were quickly cleared. Hitchcock predicted between games that the Wild would tire in game 6 because "they absorbed a lot" in that period. But their energy didn't flag at all -- it was the Blues that wilted Sunday under the Wild's checking pressure in the 3rd. Hitchcock did a clever job of coaching through the media before game 4. Didn't work so well before the last 2 games.

The Blues one goal yesterday came when Dubnyk was impeded getting to the post by a defender at the edge of the crease. Their one great close-in scoring chance came off a turnover by Dumba, and Dubnyk stuffed it. Goaltending is so big in the playoffs, and the Wild are getting it.

Jay

Pretty good assessment I would say. The goalie is part of the team. Wild vs. Hawks should be a fun series with both teams playing entertaining hockey. I still think the Ducks will be tough for anyone.

RuffChaser
As fun as it is to watch the Flames right now I think they are in trouble. They have lost around 20 in a row at Anaheim. No a good trend considering the Ducks have home ice advantage.

vagrousehunter
I've been wondering all day in what spectacular way the Caps will lose tonight. The Caps are 0-4 against Halak in elimination games , scoring 1 goal in each game.  They are 0-3 in their last 3 game 7's at home while being outscored by a combined 13-3 score.

Tom Avent

If you play the odds, the Caps are due. Still, NO WAY I would be in the building(yes, I know that is the sign of a weak fan, but I have no desire to pay to have my head bashed in and my heart ripped out AGAIN).

I will be watching, but through my hands like a kid at a horror movie.

Tom Avent
Of course I should be careful. If the Caps do pull it off and break the curse, the real horror story starts........otherwise known as the New York Rangers.

Ben Hong

Of course I should be careful. If the Caps do pull it off and break the curse, the real horror story starts........otherwise known as the New York Rangers.

I think and believe that the NYI will pull it off. Good red-blooded Canuckian boy like Tavares will absolutely put his heart and guts on the ice.

Tom Avent
Ben.....that wouldn't be a prejudiced statement against red blooded Russian boys, would it?