TRIVA QUIZ

Richard Nixon played which musical instrument?

He was actually quite good.

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Steve Sutton

• Larry Brown

• M. R. Byrd

• Cooter Brown

Cooter Brown
Nixon played the RECORDER.....though not as well as he thought...

Steve

Well done, old man.

Steve Sutton

As the Kentucky Derby approaches how bout some RACE HORSE trivia.....

Secretariat is considered by many to be THE GREATEST RACE HORSE ever.....

So two specific "questions"....

What physical attribute makes him SPECIAL?...

When he was buried he was given a rare and special honor for race horses....what was that "HONOR"?.....

Steve

RuffChaser

I believe his heart was 2-3 times the size of a normal horse.

I do not know about the honor of his burial.

I am not a horse man but I do respect thoroughbreds and all the work that goes into them and how athletic they are. I see way to many horses that seem to be a good idea at the time but probably haven't had a saddle on them in years, no grass in their pasture, etc.

I do know secretariat was the only non-human to be on ESPN's list of 100 greatest athletes of all time.

Steve Sutton

RuffChaser.....correct on the enormous size of his heart....I've heard the size a bunch of different %'tages with the most common being around between 2-1/2's to 2-3/4's larger than the normal horse....no wonder he was so fast and had the stamina to go with it.....

I'd have had him way higher in the TOP ATHELETE's than his mid-30's given the fact that he's one of only eleven to have accomplished the TRIPLE CROWN in almost a 100 years not to mention that to this day he holds the record in all three races.....won 80% of his races and only finished out of the top three one time.....and never ever ever said anything stupid.....not to mention good looking as all get out.....

I'll save the answer on his burial for abit to see if anyone knows t....

I hear you on "seemed like a good idea"....but then that goes for everything from boats full of leave to couch Labs that weigh 150 lbs to mangy pointers that haven't been off a chain since they were put up during a poor bird year....

Steve

Secretariat was buried just as I have my pack goats-

whole and in one piece- Normally I think it's just the head and hoofs and the rest is cremated. Really liked that race horse

Secretariat was buried ...whole and in one piece...

Whew.  I was afraid the answer would be "he was a big part of the "Surf and Turf" dinner special for the next few days.

Steve Sutton

Ugly D......correct....except that "normal" burial of race horses includes the heart as well.....

Always thought that was a pretty neat tribute to a great horse....

Steve

Secretariat was ridden by Ron Turcotte and trained by another Canadian Lucien Laurin. Turcotte made his mark with Northern Dancer, won the Preakness and the Kentucky Derby with Riva Ridge in the year before  he rode Secretariat to the Triple Crown in 1973. Secretariat was the greatest race horse ever, but it took these 2 guys to coax the best out of him. I am proud to call Ron Turcotte a friend.
Larry Brown

Malcovich played Laurin in the movie, I think?

Since we had fun with who played Dracula in the movies:  How many actors can you name that played D'Artagnan, of "3 Musketeers" fame?

Steve Sutton

Ben...neat rememberance.......I was 21 the year Secretariat won the Triple Crown.....I wasn't and am not a Racing fan but at that time I had a favorite Uncle...one that the matriarchs of the clan considered SKETCHY who was.....the Black Sheep of the family who's only saving grace according to the "family" was that he was related only by marriage......

He attended the Triple Crown races religiously and I was working for him that year...he invited me to attend with him and given that I had only recently reached the age of majority and having been raised by a bunch of truly devout Baptists truly believed he had "invented having a good time" I couldn't resist....that the parents steadfastly stated that "you cannot go" made it an even bigger adventure.....

So I went....and I sat in one of the "premium seats"  and I got to see Secretariat win the Derby......watching him run to this day places him at the top of my "Spectator Sport" experiences......not to mention that I found out that if my Uncle didn't invent "having fun" he was most certainly on the Committee that did.......

Steve

On the Beverly Hillbillies the banker Milburn Drysdale's wife was a Boston blueblood.  What was her name?
KerryLuft
won the Preakness and the Kentucky Derby with Riva Ridge in the year before  he rode Secretariat to the Triple Crown in 1973.

close, but not quite. Riva Ridge lost the Preakness in the mud (he was a terrible mudder). Riva Ridge won the Belmont, though, and was a heck of a horse.

Another bit of trivia: The horse that finished second to Secretariat at the Derby was Sham, and he also broke the two minute barrier. That didn't happen again until Monarchos won in 2001.  And Sham's heart was twice the size of a normal horse's at 18 pounds ... he just ran up against another horse that was even more freakishly gifted.