TRIVA QUIZ

I happen to have a t-shirt of the armless and legless Knight of the Bridge, with the caption "It's only a flesh wound."
  • Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Steve Sutton

• Larry Brown

• M. R. Byrd

• Cooter Brown

Cooter Brown

Well, my first history question didn't get any takers.

Here's an easier one:  Which two presidents died within hours of each other on July 4, 1826?

springerguy

Jefferson and Adams.

They were also prolific letter writers to one another for a good portion of their adult lives.

Cooter Brown

Correct.

They were very good friends for years during and after the Revolution, then had a falling out and did not communicate for a long time.  Their disagreement was cemented when  Adams in his bid for reelection was defeated by Jefferson who was VP at the time--although during the the Adams presidency the tension was building and they hardly communicated during the four years of Adams' term.  Jefferson played hardball politics that makes what goes on now look tame.  Among other things Jefferson objected to was Adams's Federalism which Jefferson viewed as almost monarchial in nature--Adams thought Jefferson was naive in many of his judgements, particularly his unquestioned support of France and the revolution there, which Adams correctly predicted would descend into anarchy and a near dictatorship.

Ironically Jefferson went on to execute extraordinary powers beyond what the Constitution gave the executive--the Louisiana Purchase being the prime example.

Partly at the urging of Benjamin Rush they reestablished their relationship and had a fairly substantial exchange of letters in their later years.

M. R. Byrd
Errol Flynn was best man at a wedding during the premiere of a movie. Name of the movie and location of premiere?
Steve Sutton

I saw Dodge City the other night, Flynn and DeHavilland, on TCM and they did the little "history of the film" thing at the beginning.....the commentator said the premiere of the movie was only the second time that a movie had premiered in a location other than Hollywood and it was a huge event......one of the funniest parts of the commentary was "the studio sent a TRAIN LOAD of Stars to the opening", (imagine Hollywood Stars arriving via train these days), and that the festivities included a wedding but didn't include specifics.....

So, just a guess......"DODGE CITY".........

Cooter....what history question did we miss?....

Steve

Cooter Brown
Cooter....what history question did we miss?...

Steve

From page 12.  It should be pretty easy.  The whole question is a clue to the answer.

"Who said, '...you are a Virginian, and a Virginian should appear at the head of this business', to whom was it said, and what 'business' was he refering to?

northern_hunting_mom

Steve

From page 12.  It should be pretty easy.  The whole question is a clue to the answer.

"Who said, '...you are a Virginian, and a Virginian should appear at the head of this business', to whom was it said, and what 'business' was he refering to?

My whacked out guess for the business is Marlboro.

Cooter Brown

Steve

My whacked out guess for the business is Marlboro.

Jen's drankin' agin.

northern_hunting_mom
A lot of tobacco was/is grown there! At least, I thought there was.
Cooter Brown
A lot of tobacco was/is grown there! At least, I thought there was.

That's a fact, Jen.  They still do if they have a baccer 'lotment.

So who sang the following lyrics:

"And curse Sir Walter Raleigh

He was such a stupid git"?

Steve Sutton

ahhhh missed it earlier...you know REAL HISTORY stuff mixed amongst Hollywood stuff.....

Survey says....

Thomas Jefferson......Declaration of Independence.....

Now YOU have to answer the question that I asked regarding about what is unique about the pistol with the yellow grips that John Wayne carried in so many of his movies.....

Steve

Cooter Brown

ahhhh missed it earlier...you know REAL HISTORY stuff mixed amongst Hollywood stuff.....

Survey says....

Thomas Jefferson......Declaration of Independence.....

Now YOU have to answer the question that I asked regarding about what is unique about the pistol with the yellow grips that John Wayne carried in so many of his movies.....

Steve

You missed the first and in my mind the most important part of the question--who said it to Thomas Jefferson?

I didn't see the question about John Wayne's pistol.  But if the question is what I think it was, the pistol was a Great Western, NOT a Colt, with grips made of milk somehow; I forget the trade name.  They were meant to look like ivory.  Popular for a while.  Cassien?  Spelling?

What famous TV character also carried a Great Western revolver?

What material were the grips on his gun made from?

Steve Sutton

Dang Cooter....three questions in one question is two questions too many....the Title is TRIVIA not TRIVIA's......

Not to mention I'm old....I hid my own Adult Easter Eggs this Easter and by the next morning forget where over half of them were.....and a Squirrel ran across the driveway this morning carrying something shiny.......so two out of three should get a "great job" not a "you missed the most important question"......

Since its narrowed down to one JOHN Adams for the final win Alex......

On the Wayne question.....Wrong......my original question was what was unique about Wane's PERSONAL Colt that he carried in most of his movies after Hondo......its true he carried he pair of Great Westerns in his last movie, THE SHOOTIST, but those guns weren't the single yellow handled Colt SAA that he carried in so many movies......that one was indeed a Colt but there was something very unique about it........

James Arness carried a Great Western in the Cavarly model, (long barrel which was of course totally unrealistic in gunfighting but sure looked impressive in Arness's hand), something I have always thought was WRONG since he should have been packing an authentic Colt and not a Hollywood prop...

I know the answer to the material and where the color came from on Wayne's pistol but not the answer to your on the Great Western grips....thinking about it my anwer on Arness to your question is wrong since he had black grips on his pistol......don't tell me.....

Steve