TRIVA QUIZ

Cooter Brown

John Adams is correct.

Arness is also correct.  My recollection is that his gun had stag grips.  But that gun probably changed over the years.  That show was on for a long time.

As far as Wayne's gun, that's all I got.  Great Western, cassien grips.

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Steve Sutton

• Larry Brown

• M. R. Byrd

• Cooter Brown

MN Tonester
the wife and I watched 'Shane' last night.  I don't recall if I had ever seen it before, but it is an excellent Western.  As I am sometimes prone to do, I looked up info on the movie and found out there were two Academy Award nominations from this cast for Best Supporting Actor.  Can you name them?
Larry Brown

I'm guessing Brandon DeWilde (sp?) and Van Heflin for the supporting actor nominations.  Jack Palance also played a great role in that movie.  When he auditioned and got the role, the director asked him if he could ride a horse.  He replied that he could.  Well, he couldn't . . . which is why you see him walking and leading his horse when he comes into town.  (He obviously learned later on.)

Here's a tough but very interesting movie trivia question for you:  In "The Longest Day", one of the actors fought in the same part of the battle in which he REALLY fought on D-Day (although he was not playing himself).  Who was it, and what part of that day's fighting did he participate in?  Hint:  He's not American.

For westerns I would rank Shane among the top 5, and maybe top 50 in all categories of all time. I must have seen it a dozen or more times as it was one of the most requested movies at the cinema appreciation classes I use to help at.

George Stevens won for best director (??) and Jack Palance was nominated for best supporting actor.

Larry Brown

Looks like the quiz is dying out.  I'll save the non-American actor who played a part in "The Longest Day" that put him exactly where he really fought on D-Day.  That's a tough one.  Here's easier movie trivia:

How many actors can you name who've played Wyatt Earp?  Doc Holliday?  And can you name the movies in which they played those roles?  How about one famous actor who played Earp in 2 different movies?  You can toss in TV if you wish.

Cooter Brown
Larry, I'll take a WAG at the "Longest Day" actor: Richard Burton?
Steve Sutton

James Garner played Earp in two different movies....Hour of the Gun and Sunset.....I believe it was Robert Ryan that played Holliday in the first one and the second one was after Holidays Death...Bruce Willis played Tom Mix in Sunset....

Hugh O'Brien...champion of the Buntline Special played Earp in the TV series, "Life and Times of Wyatt Earp",  and later in a movie about a much older Earp, (don't recall the name of the movie on this one)....I can't recall Holiday in the series and the movie was after Holidays death...

Val Kilmer played both Holiday and Earp....He's my favorite Holiday and an unimpressive Earp....Tombstone and ???? on the Kilmer piece of fluff...

Henry Fonda and Victor Mature in My Darling Clementine...Mature is way too healthy for Holiday and the gunfight at O.K. Corral is the singularly worst historic portrayal of any "historic Western event" EVER......Fonda puts on a heck of a show on the dance floor though....

Costner and Quad in Wyatt Earp....and over long yawner that is perhaps more accurate than Tombstone but way less entertaining.....

Burt Lancaster and Kirk Douglas in Gun Fight at O.K. Corral....

Early on  there was an Earp movie starring Randolph Scott..(how could there not have been)?....but I can't recall who played Holiday or what the name of the movie was....

Followup trivia question....an actor know best for "Going Boldly" had a very active early career in Western...never a star but a pretty decent third tier actor.....usually a bad guy.....got to be both an Earp and a McClaury in his career.....his name?......

Steve

Larry Brown

Good job, Steve.  That movie in which Kilmer plays an older, retired Earp must've gone straight to video.  There was an Earp movie with Randolph Scott ("Frontier Marshal"), in which Cesar Romero was Doc Holliday.

Agree that Kilmer was the best Doc ever . . . and of course "Tombstone" also featured Dana Delaney, which is never a bad thing.

You got all the other ones I can think of in which Earp was the main character--although you missed one in which he was a major character, and played by a really famous actor:  Jimmy Stewart as Earp in "Cheyenne Autumn".  I'd forgotten about that one until reading through your post.  I'll admit to googling to see if Doc made an appearance in that movie.  He did, played by Arthur Kennedy.

Your followup question:  That's "Bones" from "Star Trek", whose real name I can never remember.

Larry Brown
Larry, I'll take a WAG at the "Longest Day" actor: Richard Burton?

Right first name, and correct nationality.  But it was Richard Todd, who played Major Howard at the fight at Pegasus Bridge in the movie.  On 6 June 1944, Todd was an officer in the Parachute Regiment, fighting to hold the bridge until relieved by Howard and his troops.

Steve Sutton

Larry no argument on the Dana Delaney statement.....

DeForrest Kelley for Bones.....I'm surprised how often I see him on the old Westerns.....I was watching Warlock last night while answering the question and wouldn't have remembered him as McLaurey if I hadn't been seeing him at the time.....

I've seen Cheyenne Autumn more than once and not only don't remember Earp as a character being in it but don't recall Jimmy Stuart begin in it...how they figure into that plot is beyond me and I'll have to watch it next it comes on....

Here's one that I missed that you jogged into memory mentioning Stewart......Will Geer played Earp in Winchester '73 .......no Holliday in that one......

Steve

Larry Brown

Bonus point for Winchester 73.  I'd forgotten that one.

Some of us obviously watch too many movies!

Great line in "Tombstone" where Josie takes off the mask in her theater performance and Wyatt says "Well, I'll be damned!"  To which Doc adds:  "You may very well be!"

Steve Sutton

arry...the complete quote is..

"You may indeed.....IF YOU GET LUCKY"...

My favorite line is Holliday to Big Nosed Kate ......

"It's true, you are a good woman. Then again, you may be the antichrist".......given that the Dr. had just told Holliday to drink less, stop smoking and resist carnal dalliances and Kates response was to roll and light a cigarette, and to commence said "carnal dalliances" I do believe Doc statement should have been "you ARE" and not "you MIGHT BE".......

Steve

I think a lot of guys would love to get lucky with Dana Delaney.

I used to eagerly anticipate "China Beach" on TV in the 70s just to catch a glimpse of Dana Delaney. She is all woman, all female without being fluffy.

Whenever I see Randolph Scott's name mentioned, I usually think of his sidekick in many of his westerns...Joel McCrae.