TRIVA QUIZ

MN Tonester

Larry and Ben, you're both correct re. Shane.  Brandon DeWilde (the kid) and Jack Palance were both nominated for Supporting Actor (neither won).  I was a bit surprised that Palance received a nomination because he really didn't have a lot of screen time compared to Van Heflen.

In one of the scenes where Palance is supposed to saddle up, he had so much trouble trying to mount up that they finally placed him on the horse, had him dismount, then ran the film in reverse to finish the scene.

Alan Ladd was so inept with guns that the scene where he and Palance have the dual at the end of the movie that the scene had to be shot something like (if you can believe it) 116 times.  The movie won Best Cinematography Oscar.

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Steve Sutton

• Larry Brown

• M. R. Byrd

• Cooter Brown

I think a lot of guys would love to get lucky with Dana Delaney.

I used to eagerly anticipate "China Beach" on TV in the 70s just to catch a glimpse of Dana Delaney. She is all woman, all female without being fluffy.

Whenever I see Randolph Scott's name mentioned, I usually think of his sidekick in many of his westerns...Joel McCrae.

China Beach ran in the late 80's early 90's.  I was a big Dana Delaney fan until she ruined the mystery in Exit to Eden, which was awful.

She didn't play Big Nosed Kate in Tombstone either, she played Josie something or other.

Larry Brown
Whenever I see Randolph Scott's name mentioned, I usually think of his sidekick in many of his westerns...Joel McCrae.

"Ride the High Country".  Great Western with both of them at the end of their careers.  Both played other roles when younger, but eventually made nothing but westerns.  They were lucky to be able to have good careers doing that, in those long ago Hollywood days.

Larry Brown
She didn't play Big Nosed Kate in Tombstone either, she played Josie something or other.

I don't think anyone had Dana playing Kate.  She was Wyatt's love interest--and future wife.  Apparently worked out well for him.

Here's a brain teaser with both sports and movie links:  Vince Lombardi is often credited with this quote:  "Winning isn't everything . . . it's the only thing!"  But it's actually from a movie.  What was the movie, and who said it?

And since I mentioned Lombardi, a bonus question for Packer fans:  When the Pack hired Lombardi, he was not their first choice.  Who turned down the job before they hired Vince?

...In one of the scenes where Palance is supposed to saddle up, he had so much trouble trying to mount up that they finally placed him on the horse, had him dismount, then ran the film in reverse to finish the scene....

Now that's surprising.  Palance was 112 years old and doing one-arm pushups on the Grammys or Oscars or some such just a few years ago.  Surely getting aboard a horse was something he'd done 100's or 1000's of times on Hollywood sets.

He musta had a bum leg or something that made it difficult.

Steve Sutton

Actually at the time Shane was filmed Palance couldn't ride....in the screen test for the part he was asked "can you ride" to which he responded "yes".......they cast him in the part and didn't find out that he couldn't ride until it was too late to go with someone else which is why he walks the horse in the scene......he learned to ride after Shane....

Steve

"You would do it for Randolph Scott."

Ah, my favorite western of all.

M. R. Byrd

Dodge City has had the Wyatt Earp statue for a few years.

Wyatt%20Earp_zpsmthc3oiw.jpg

The Doc Holliday statue was just added.

DocHolliday_zpsfy1eseih.jpg

Steve Sutton

They truly got carried away with that Buntline Special didn't they.....I guess the didn't want him to feel "inadequate" so they accentuated his "tool"......

I wonder if Earp ever really used that ridiculous "gift gun"....most certainly not in any serious "close in" altercation, (witness his choosing the top break S&W Model 3 as his weapon of choice in the O.K. Corral dust up)....

Steve

I can't imagine trying to quick draw with the Buntline Special :D  :laugh:

You'd have to have real short arms I'd think, or really flexible elbows.

Virgil Kane

They truly got carried away with that Buntline Special didn't they.....I guess the didn't want him to feel "inadequate" so they accentuated his "tool"......

I wonder if Earp ever really used that ridiculous "gift gun"....most certainly not in any serious "close in" altercation, (witness his choosing the top break S&W Model 3 as his weapon of choice in the O.K. Corral dust up)....

Steve

Earp to my knowledge never used a Buntline Special. Story goes that the author Ned Buntline  who use to write dime novels about the tales of Wyatt Earp made up the story about the 12" barreled Colt.  

You can read more about it here.

http://www.kancoll.org/khq/1976/76_2_shillingberg.htm

Virgil

charlo slim

Trivia question #1. (multiple choice)

What is the primary leisure activity of UJ members:

A. Cogitating the technical points of the ideal pheasant load.

B. Discussing the best cold-weather hunting glove (sxs, dt)

C. Watching old movies.

hint -- see the previous 282 posts on this thread

Trivia question #2. (keeping with the Buntline theme)

In what small Nebraska town, and in what year, did a 1 armed, small-town policeman pull a Buntline revolver on me during a routine (sortof) traffic stop?  Too tough for y'all?  OK it was Sutherland NB, and the year was 1963.  I must admit needing to Google a Nebraska map to remember the town.  Never thought I would forget it either... scared me bad.  First watching him struggle trying to get that monstrosity out of his belt, and second seeing the muzzle swaying around what looked like a 10-20 degree arc! It was a wonder that he didn't assassinate Johnson and the Twins before completing the "draw".

M. R. Byrd
It was a wonder that he didn't assassinate Johnson and the Twins before completing the "draw".

:D  :D  :D  :D  :D