REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
GB Jack

Ghosts, what is the deal

Gunflint Charlie

Many years ago I was with a small group of friends a year or two on either side of age 20 who experienced communication with an incorporeal personality. Some skeptics among us asked for a particular physical demonstration of it's presence -- and it was given to us, with no possible human intervention, at a time precisely specified.

The way events unfolded make a pretty long story. I won't tell it here because it's long, and because I'm not interested in persuading anyone who understandably believes only in what they can see and touch.

People who know me would tell you I'm as hard-headed skeptical as anyone when it comes to questioning unlikely assertions. Skepticism prevents me from believing in an almighty God with a human-like personality. But personal experience of the "supernatural" stretched the boundaries of my world in a humbling and awe-inspiring way.

Jay

Brad Eden
I do not believe in ghosts. I don't believe in ghosts because I have never experienced anything in my 57 years on earth that would suggest they exist. I also dont believe in aliens or UFO's or Bigfoot for the same reason. Others experiences may differ.

Uplandish

I don't believe in ghosts, as in trapped spirits that can't move on as I have never had any experiences that would make me think such a thing is possible.

But I do believe that passed love ones and even pets will come visit you or even help you when you really need it, even if that help is just to give you courage during a troubled time or guidance. I have had too many personal experiences to ignore this, or else Im just crazy.

northern_hunting_mom
I do think there are things we cannot see that can be called supernatural. I don't know what it is or what to call it. I also think it is very rare for most people to see it.

Escopeton
I once lived in a house in East Los Angeles while I attended Cal. State L.A.,.  I shared the house with a former U. S. Marine buddy and his friend.  One night while asleep, I got startled and sat up in my bed to find a woman standing next to my bed.  I stared at her for a little moment and she smiled and walked into my closet.  She was Hispanic and middle aged.  I wasn't scared and didn't feel threatened.  During my stay at the house, I had a more than a couple of encounters with her and nothing that made me feel bad or threatened.  Even the room mate that was my Marine friend had encounters with her - he said that she wanted to tell him where the treasure was hidden.  I didn't get along with my friend's life long friend but we did agree on this. More than a few times, we would be cooking, partying or just sitting around and foot steps would come into the the room and nothing would be there.  My USMC buddy's grand mother had died in the the house but the room mate that knew her said it was not her, not by looks nor age.  I am not to judge.

Ben Hong
If you are Christian, then you believe in ghosts. But, most civilizations have the spectre of the spectre.

Can you flesh that out a little for me please Ben? I'm not sure I understand what you are saying... Is there a difference between ghost & spectre in your understanding?

Thanks & God Bless, Matt s

Christianity is based on the Holy Trinity, one of which is a spirit or ghost or spectre. Most, maybe all, of the world's civilizations have a strong and integrated belief in the spirit world. Meaning belief in ghosts.

Dakota Dogman

Thanks Ben,

I wasn't sure whether to read the "but" as in "in contrast too" or as "then again..."

It is Sat. PM about 10 my time.  Time for preachers to be going to bed so he doesn't put the congregation to sleep tomorrow.  Maybe a fuller thought from me tomorrow evening.

God Bless,

Ben Hong
Thanks Ben,

I wasn't sure whether to read the "but" as in "in contrast too" or as "then again..."

"...then again"

dogrunner
I seen Ghost-busters I believe. :D

Virgil Kane

My wife and I have had multiple unexplained things happen or  seen either by ourselves or when we are together. Not saying they were "ghosts" but then there isn't much other explanation of what they could have been.

We don't talk about it much because the skeptic's would say we're crazy. Still we know what we experienced and a few that I have had would make the hair on my neck stand straight up.

Virgil

GB Jack
I would really like those who've had experiences to take the time on here and tell them.

Ron Kruger

Many years ago, I had a profound death experience and know for certain there is another dimension in which what we call "spirits" exist: a place of a Higher Good, one that transcends man's egotistical ideals of judgment and justice.

This experience not only removed my fear of death, but of most everything, so I have no fear of "ghosts," and while I don't completely discount the possibility, I'm convinced the claims are the products of fearful minds interpreting natural phenomenon as spiritual interference.

Over the decades, I have, in fact, lived for months and as long as a few years in three separate places everyone swore were "haunted."

I still know there is a God, but I still don't believe in earthbound ghosts. I believe there are forces of good and evil on this Earth, but both are a product of human influences.

Fear itself is the ultimate evil, and most religious dogma manipulates this emotion. Do not be afraid and know that in the end, the only things that matter are the people you help and the people you hurt.

Greg Hartman
I would really like those who've had experiences to take the time on here and tell them.

X2.  Let's hear about the ghosts.

Jacob Jesus Escape

When you find yourself in times of trouble...

I don't believe in ghosts and challenge them to make their presence known... That said, I experienced and wrote this after my mother died.

---

On Wings

as i concentrated on my work

these words fell free

my mom is gone

the phone rang minutes later

and after one choking tear stared

into the southern light

of february s six foot windows

i laughed at my dad s confusion

as he was so alive

and leaving work i sought our river

heading home down stairs at the bridge

to the bank near trains

numb along the tracks

until i saw my white house

its steep green roof

a rock dove

circling

over my roof around again and again

from the tie between the rails

i watched the bird come around

swing around

then fly to me

to circle me

my face

against the heavens

falling with my tears

to gravel and tar

believing that she was

only gone

only dead

and only missed

by fools

trust me

Call me a sceptic, but i've had two experiences myself, shared with others, that I cannot explain.  Once a voice heard by both my wife and me.  Another time, distinct creaking footsteps upstairs in an empty house, heard by both my son and me.

My brother and his wife are two of the most sober, boring people you'll ever meet, not prone to exaggeration or hyperbole, and their family has been living with a "shadow" for years.  Brother and his wife experience it regularly, one son did while he was still at home, and the other son doesn't seem as sensitive to it, only has seen/felt it once. They don't like to talk about it and don't want it made widely known.

They'll be fixing dinner, and "feel" someone in the room.  A shadow will be visible against the kitchen wall, vaguely human in form, as if a person were blocking the light from the ceiling fixture.  Yet, no one is there, just the shadow.  When they are aware of it, the shadow will move away and disappear.  

Once they were in the living room watching tv with the family dog.  Suddenly a woman's chattering voice came from the kitchen. Both adults heard it, the dog sat up and barked.  They assumed it was a cell phone or something similar, but all electronic devices were asleep or in another room.  No one else was in the home at the time.

In none of these instances did anyone feel scared, or any presence of evil.  Just a presence.