REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
GB Jack

Ghosts, what is the deal

gonehuntin
Jack, I lived with five girls in one of the more famous haunted houses in Wyoming. In fact they had it as part of a TV special. I can guarantee you there are ghosts. The story is very long so sometime if we run into each other in Tight lines or on the river or woods and you have time, I'll tell it to you.

GB Jack
Jack, I lived with five girls in one of the more famous haunted houses in Wyoming. In fact they had it as part of a TV special. I can guarantee you there are ghosts. The story is very long so sometime if we run into each other in Tight lines or on the river or woods and you have time, I'll tell it to you.

I'd love to hear that, start typing!,,,hhahahaha

gonehuntin

This happeded in the 60's Jack in Laramie, Wyo. I was a ski bum at the time, guiding fly fishermen or working construction and skiing all winter in Jackson Hole. At the end of the summer I got on a Carpenters Apprentice program and was hired in Laramie to work on new dorms being built. That summer I had been dating a pretty girl that worked at a lifeguard at one of the dude ranches in Jackson. When I got to Laramie, I called some girls I knew from Jackson, they said they had an apartment there, had an extra bedroom and asked me to move in with the five of them. Rent was cheap, I knew the girls, I could keep my Lab there with me, and it would only be for a few months until the ski area openied in Dec.

It was home coming weekend so I called my old girl friend from the summer and asked her out. She wasn't thrilled about me living with the five other girls but liked them when I introduced them. The apartment was in one of the crap sections of Laramie and a drunk had just been killed under the stairway to the apartment a few weeks before I got there. We had the whole upper apartment over a motorcycle shop and there was a steel staircase leading up to it; a treacherous affair in winter. The girls were having a party there (I'm not sure a party ever ended there) and I took my girlfriend to it. We were sitting in the car before we went up and noticed a five point star in the apartnent next to ours. It instantly dissapeared and we didn't think much of it. Next morning we were sitting around the table having coffee and recovering and I mentioned the star. The girls had told me all of the apartments were vacant around us. They looked at each other, laughed, and told me it was "Freida The Freak", their resident ghost. They explained the place was an ex whore house whose madam had been Ruthie Raisin. We called the place "The House of The Raisin Sun". It became famous through out Laramie and Drunks still climbed the stairs trying to buy "favors". The girls were glad I lived there to repel them at the door.

After I moved in, things got worse. It was like the ghost didn't want any men there. G was a folk singer and bell freak; she sewed bells all over her clothes and had them hanging all over the apartment. Late at night all of the bells would start ringing in unison. When you were laying there and it was quiet and night, sometimes you could hear laughing and music from the 20's. Sometimes a record player would start playing music in the middle of the night or while we were sitting in the kitchen eating with no one there to start it.

WE had two pets living with us, my lab Kelly and S's dog Mooshie. The pets always alerted you first to the event about to happen. They would stare at a spot, start shaking and salivating, and growl at the spot. Then an event would occur.  Thanksgiving came and all of the girls went home but one. She stayed to keep me company in the apartment. We were sitting in the living room listenting to music when Kelly growled. From G's room, a guitar began strumming. N, the girl I was with said "I thought everyone was gone." We went down to the room, Kelly charging ahead, and no one was there. The guitar quit strumming. N and I were the only ones there.

Another night I was awakened by S screaming hysterically from her room. I jumped from bed, grabbed a gun, and ran to her room, sure someone had broken in. I threw open the door and stepped in. The rooms was as cold as ice with an overpowering smell of perfume in in. Mooshie was curled up growling and shaking on S's bed. As I stood there, the room warmed and the smell left.

I was there alone one weekend when in the middle of the night Kelly jumped onto my chest in bed, stared at the door and began roaring like a lion. I was sure the ax murdered had broken in and was waiting outside. I grabbed a gun and threw the door open, jumping into the hall and letting Kelly charge past me. He ran into every room growling and barking as I followed him. Nothing. I told the girls I'd never spend another night there alone.

S's dad was a deputy so he began and investigation of the place. Ended up Ruthie was still alive but crazy, a victim of alcoholism and syphilis. He interviewed her but she would admit nothing about the place. He got keys and went into all of the abandoned apartments around ours and found no foot prints or signs of anyone living there. Some college professors asked to hold a seyance there. I said no way in hell while I was there. I left for Jackson in Dec and never returned. When I left, so did the girls, all moving in to different places.

I used to tell the stories to my little girl and many years later when we moved form Idaho to Wi., I drove he past it to show it to here. The apartment was still there but a logging chain was across the door and a green snake was painted on the back door. No one ever lived there again after we left. Years later it was part of a TV special on haunted houses.

Do I believe in ghosts? You're damned right I do.

gonehuntin

One of the other things that was a constant pain in the rear, was that many times when we'd come home drawers would be open and clothing strewn. Sometimes entire pieces of furniture moved.

We had Christmas cards made up for our friends before I left. I went to good will and got and old pin stripe suit, fedora hat and big cigar. The girls wore sheer negliges, and sat in a row going up the steps with me on the top step smoking the cigar. We took a photo, put it on a card, and sent them out to our friends with "PIECE ON EARTH, GOOD WILL TOWARD MEN" written on the cards. Sure wish I still had one of those cards.

GB Jack
That's an AWESOME story!!! Fasinating

Greg Hartman
GREAT story!  Thanks!

tut
I have to admit.  I believe in them.  I have seen one and no there were no drugs or alcohol in the equation.  Was in my wife's home built in Arlington in 1940.  I kept quiet for quite a few years and then one day asked my Brother In Law about it.  Anyway, female ghost wearing a white dress (almost long like wedding dress) and he asked me if it was a female, young and wearing a white dress and I said yes.  Bottom line is he had seen the same ghost when he was a lad.  Scared the stuffing out of him then.  For some reason it startled me, but I was more fascinated then scared.  Was nothing scary about the young lady/ghost at all.  She went by me and then went up the stairs and on her way.  Only saw her the one time.  Was very early in the morning.

Hub
This happened in the 60's.....

I am assuming this is code for....I was high the whole time.  That explains the rest of the story perfectly  :D

In my opinion with most of this stuff there is a component of people wanting to believe.  It's makes for a more interesting conversation.  I am skeptical by nature.  I have never heard or seen a ghost.  I can't be hypnotized etc.  I notice that people never see ghosts in a 1990's rambler.  It's always an old house where someone died etc etc.  These are the types of places people allow themselves to turn a creaking floor, shadow, or tired eyes in a paranormal experience.

trust me

...It's always an old house where someone died etc etc.  These are the types of places people allow themselves to turn a creaking floor, shadow, or tired eyes in a paranormal experience.

Not always.  Early in the thread I related the experiences of my brother's family.  New house that they built, no deaths, no tragic history, most boring family in the world. They just seem to have a benign visitor.

shoot-straight

a friend told me that one of the guys in his deer hunt club saw a ghost of a union soldier walk right by him just after he left his stand after dark. he literally ran out of the woods and swore he would never go there again. left his stand and dropped other stuff too.

i have more than one grouse spot that have old graves and such. i get creeped out- because it could be a cloudless day, and when i enter that area, the sky just always seems to be grey. the area is just dark overall.

Gunflint Charlie

In my opinion with most of this stuff there is a component of people wanting to believe.  It's makes for a more interesting conversation.  I am skeptical by nature.  I have never heard or seen a ghost.  I can't be hypnotized etc.  I notice that people never see ghosts in a 1990's rambler.  It's always an old house where someone died etc etc.  These are the types of places people allow themselves to turn a creaking floor, shadow, or tired eyes in a paranormal experience.

I don't understand dismissing all who've offered detailed and often corroborated accounts as delusional. Seems something like nervous "whistling in the dark" to me.

Jay

Virgil Kane

I am assuming this is code for....I was high the whole time.  That explains the rest of the story perfectly  :D

You can believe what you want. I know what I saw. House was bought new by my father after WWII. Mother, Father and brother died in that house. And talk about coincident my Mother and Father died in the same house on the same date at the same time of day years apart and I have the death certificates to prove it, August 7th at 9:45 PM. Mother from cancer and Father from heart failure, not a  prearranged suicide.  And how about this for coincidences, 9 years after my Father passed away I asked my girlfriend to marry me in that house. When it came time to pick out a wedding date her and her Mother picked August 7th without knowing a thing about my parents deaths other than they were deceased. Once again I have the marriage certificate to prove the date. And you can ask my wife about this because she was real pi$$ed when she found out at our wedding from a relative that this was the date my parents died.

Coincidences? Could be. Some spirit or force that we know very little about? Could be too. Should I buy a lottery ticket on August 7th? Never have but maybe I should.

Oh and BTW after a bit of heavy drinking when I returned home from VN I never in my life touched any drugs other than prescribed by my doctor so I can count out hallucinating.  I can't say what I saw in that house other than it was a dark shadow in a dark house and it scared the crap out of me. Can't explain August 7th other than it's a date that seems to follow me around for some reason.

Not trying to change your mind and not saying you couldn't be right with some of these stories. Just letting you know my experiences.

Virgil

gonehuntin
Over the course of 50 some years, I've stopped arguing and trying to justify what happened. I simply leave it up to each one to believe or not. I've never seen a flying saucer and I believe in them. I've never seen God and I believe in him. I've never seen a ghost in a Rambler and I have always assumed that even a ghost wouldn't be caught dead in a Nash Rambler.  :D

TonyS

Ok, my turn.  I have three stories.

First I lived in an old house that had been owned by a man and his wife. This was a house behind a house.  When I moved in the lady still lived in the house.  She was in her mid 70's. Her husband had passed away several years previous.  The house I lived in was behind her house.  There was a gate on a fence that blocked access into my back yard.  One time while sitting on the bed facing the backyard I saw an old guy in a plaid shirt walk by the window.  I ran out but saw no one.  Later, I asked the lady if her husband was fond of a certain plaid shirt.  She grinned at me.

Another time I was in an old gf's house.  She had told me that they had bought the house from the estate of a guy that was a gambler.  He had some serious losses and had hanged himself.  One day I opened the bedroom door where the act had taken place.  There from the chandlier in the room hung the guy.  I will never forget that purple black tongue handing out of his mouth.

Third one.  When my mother died my brother came to live with me and my then wife.  In the days after my Mother's death we all received telephone calls.  The phone would ring, we separately picked up.  After it had happened to all of us we talked about it.  We all picked up the phone, no one was there.  We all upon realizing this felt/saw a blinding flash of white light.

Finally for you bigfoot doubters.  Go to the ranger station at Willow Creek near the Shasta-Trinity alps.  Ask about a camping spot and mention you saw all the Bigfoot signs in town.  Next morning, after the rangers come and check on you, tell us your story.

TonyS

Ok, my turn.  I have three stories.

First I lived in an old house that had been owned by a man and his wife. This was a house behind a house.  When I moved in the lady still lived in the house.  She was in her mid 70's. Her husband had passed away several years previous.  The house I lived in was behind her house.  There was a gate on a fence that blocked access into my back yard.  One time while sitting on the bed facing the backyard I saw an old guy in a plaid shirt walk by the window.  I ran out but saw no one.  Later, I asked the lady if her husband was fond of a certain plaid shirt.  She grinned at me.

Another time I was in an old gf's house.  She had told me that they had bought the house from the estate of a guy that was a gambler.  He had some serious losses and had hanged himself.  One day I opened the bedroom door where the act had taken place.  There from the chandlier in the room hung the guy.  I will never forget that purple black tongue handing out of his mouth.

Third one.  When my mother died my brother came to live with me and my then wife.  In the days after my Mother's death we all received telephone calls.  The phone would ring, we separately picked up.  After it had happened to all of us we talked about it.  We all picked up the phone, no one was there.  We all upon realizing this felt/saw a blinding flash of white light.

Finally for you bigfoot doubters.  Go to the ranger station at Willow Creek near the Shasta-Trinity alps.  Ask about a camping spot and mention you saw all the Bigfoot signs in town.  Next morning, after the rangers come and check on you, tell us your story.