REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
bigjohnsd

Tom Brady takes a hit, legacy not the same,

shoot-straight

not a brady fan. not a pats fan. however, i respect them for their success over the years.

brady is a great qb, but a huge whiner in my opinion. he has gotten away with far to much over the years. i saw one instance last year where he yelled and bumped a ref. anyone else- they would be gone. i am simply loving the fact that he has been outed. there is no doubt is my mind that he wanted those footballs deflated. no employee there says no to the "golden boy", at least no employee that wants to keep their job.

just glad he got a taste of the taint. small victories. :D

bigjohnsd
just glad he got a taste of the taint. small victories. :D

TMI

shoot-straight
oh thats not what i meant......i meant "being tainted".... :cool:

NW River Mac
Any drama is good for the NFL.  Remember this isn't sport, it's show business.

redrockin7
You might have a case, but the refs checked the balls and they were correct before ball boy took a bathroom break.

As I said, who's to say the ball boy, who apparently wasn't very fond of the golden boy, didn't deflate them on purpose, knowing protocol (not sure on this - do they get checked post-game too? guess so if they were caught?), and hoping Tom takes the fall. Tom has a lot more to lose than ball boy / assistance equipment manager.

With that said, completely see the other side, that TB requested to have a little air left out.

I'm still not sure how you "prove" TB wanted them deflated below league minimum. Maybe he just wanted them deflated TO league minimum and though the equipment manager what know what level this is... but apparently got a little aggressive in letting the air out (meanwhile leaving the air out of TB's sails when caught).

Honestly have no clue what happened and don't care, but to me, ridiculous to release a report about "probably" and the primary evidence being text messages between two low-ranking individuals who appear to be holding something against (and maybe rightfully so - maybe the dudes a complete jackass) TB.

redrockin7

Quote from NYT

Less than two minutes later, McNally and the bags of balls emerged from the bathroom. He continued onto the field with his precious, pressurized cargo, a longtime anonymous gofer, unaware of the notoriety that awaited him.

Isn't McNally the dude who was saying "f*&^&^% Tom" in all the text messages? Isn't it just as possible he did it on purpose to screw Tom? This could explain Tom's calls to the guy following getting busted... While I admit it's possible those calls were to try to cover things up, they could have been calls to honestly find out what happened. "WTF did you do man? I only wanted the balls deflated to league minimum and for some reason you went several PSI below... I want an explanation you idiot."

While TB may very well be guilty, he may very well not. We'll never know.

redrockin7
Remember this isn't sport, it's show business.

Sadly, has been becoming more and more true in recent years. I used to be pretty die-hard Steeler fan in front of the tube every Sunday, but quite honestly I'd rather spend my fall weekends hunting or pretty much doing anything other than watching male soap operas.

I do still enjoy an occasional game every now and then but the storylines they concentrate on all pre game, breaks, and post-game are leaning much more towards the league drama lately.

redrockin7
I'm just waiting for the Barbara Walters exclusive interviews with Jastremski and McNally and/or Tom Brady. LOL.

Field Grade

I can't stand the Pats because they have knocked my Steelers out of the playoffs more times than I care to recall.

Nonetheless, Tom Brady is arguably among the top 5 QBs ever and this will do nothing in my eyes to tarnish his legacy.

This is gamesmanship, same as a pitcher who gets away with roughing up a baseball on his belt buckle, or a batter using a little extra pine tar on the barrel, or a baserunner stealing signs.

The NFL has bigger fish to fry -- with all the violent criminals inhabiting the league.

If you really want to fault the Pats, ask yourself why they ever brought in Hernandez when he had a history of awful behavior.

Or go around the league and look at all the other rich criminals playing the game.

Much as I love football, you really have to suspend disbelief and hold your nose sometimes to get through the season.

If I may paraphrase Redrockin', today's NFL is an entertainment machine... not really a sport per se. It is a warped mirror of the best and worst impulses in our country.

Wow, that's so insightful someone should pay me to write it.

Rob J.

Kemo Sabe

Excellent points, Field Grade.

This is pretty much a media generated situation. They love to destroy  people, and has no second thoughts about doing so whenever a situation presents.

Case in point: http://mmqb.si.com/2015....-brandt

To me, Brady did make a wrong, but in reality  it's about the equivalent of getting a parking ticket. But this guy Andrew Brandt is one of those who has to make it into far more than it really is even though no one was hurt, no one was battered, and no serious law was broken -- and the team that complained about this to the NFL lost the football game 45-7.

I mean, how many people even knew this rule about inflation pressure of a football even  existed prior to last January?

The Commish should tell the media to get a life, and put their efforts into something that really matters.

mshowman
The Commish should tell the media to get a life, and put their efforts into something that really matters.

Maybe he doesn't want their attention on the things that really matter.

Kemo Sabe

I seriously  doubt the Commish wants to deal with things like this, where this kind of publicity does nothing but hurt the NFL's image, and serves as a major distraction, taking  up his time from where it could be put to much better use. I mean, this is a bull$h!t  attack on one of the best players who ever played the game.  

Maybe you can explain why you think he would want the media to take this mole hill and make a mountain out of it?

mshowman

I seriously  doubt the Commish wants to deal with things like this, where this kind of publicity does nothing but hurt the NFL's image, and serves as a major distraction, taking  up his time from where it could be put to much better use. I mean, this is a bull$h!t  attack on one of the best players who ever played the game.  

Maybe you can explain why you think he would want the media to take this mole hill and make a mountain out of it?

The commissioner doesn't want any kind of bad press but I think this has less of a negative impact than things like the Ray Rice or Adrian Peterson issues. I think it's safe to say that most of the public takes less offense to deflating footballs than to knocking your girlfriend unconscious and dragging her across the floor.

shoot-straight

is the brady deal less or more than the following things/people:

pete rose- betting on baseball (not against his team though)

jerry rice- used stickum when it was illegal, but owned up to it

any of the roid guys high in the HR category

i put him in the class with the roid guys who continue to deny.

update- very similar to a corked bat situation

Kemo Sabe
The commissioner doesn't want any kind of bad press but I think this has less of a negative impact than things like the Ray Rice or Adrian Peterson issues. I think it's safe to say that most of the public takes less offense to deflating footballs than to knocking your girlfriend unconscious and dragging her across the floor.

That's the exact point. This Brady issue is nothing compared to what happened with Ray Rice and Adrian Peterson. But it's being dealt with by the media in a very similar manner.