REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
bigjohnsd

Tom Brady takes a hit, legacy not the same,

mshowman
Or do you think the Colts could/would have won if the there was another half pound of pressure in the ball?

The Colts would not have won that game even if they deflated their footballs and video taped the Patriots signals. But let's not forget that the Patriots won 5 games in the 2014 season by less than one touchdown each. Without those games they wouldn't have even been in the Super Bowl. I'm not saying they would have lost those 5 games but when there's cheating involved you can't be sure.

What I believe is this: The air pressure rule exists because of the potential to change the outcome of a game. The rule was broken. When rules are broken, the rule-breaker should be punished. It is not my job to determine what the punishment should be or who it should be levied against, but I believe that is the NFL's job. If not, the courts will decide, not a bunch of internet bird hunters. I could very well be wrong and I know that to be true because my wife is an honest person and she tells me I'm wrong on a regular basis.

Kemo Sabe
you are clearly blinded by your love for that man and his team. according to the NFL it has been proven. thats all that matters in the end....

Hardly the case at all.

My main teams are the 49ers and Raiders, but I have followed the Patriots bercause I had a cousin that played for them for 11 years.

It comes down to right and wrong. To penalize both the Patriots and Brady like Goodell has is just plain wrong.

Gunflint Charlie

he deserves the suspension. and forget mentioning that the score was a blowout in the game so it doesnt mean anything.....

The fact that the score was a blowout means  a ton. Or do you think the Colts could/would have won if the there was another half pound of pressure in the ball?

Goodell's penalty for this is way out of wack.

The outcome of the game is irrelevant to the penalty. Only the rule violation and the later obfuscation are pertinent.

Jay

WPG Gizmo
A rule is a rule, whether you think it has merit or not is not relevant.

He is being punished for breaking the rules, then lying about it!!!!

So when the NFL Refs violate the rules by over inflating the balls to 16 pounds and nothing is said about it that's fine or should the NFL from the head office on down to the Refs all be suspended and fined.

Or how about Arron Rodgers coming out on national TV when this all broke loose and saying he likes to have his balls over inflated wait it is not NE so nothing will be said about that.

Gooddell makes and breaks the rules how ever he see fit and lies about it.  I have a feeling when this is over your going to see a new commish for what he makes per year (44Mil) you would think he would get something right.

As for Brady lying about what happened the report did not include most of his testimony Wells only put in what ever they felt was relevant to make their case.

Kemo Sabe
The outcome of the game is irrelevant to the penalty. Only the rule violation and the later obfuscation are pertinent.

Jay

Disagree.

Hard to explain that anything was gained when the Colts got their butts kicked, 45-7. And, it wasn't that close.

The rule is absolutely a meanless,  stupid one.  Hell, they used to gave the balls to the QB's to prepare prior to the game. Jacking with the air pressure to make the ball feel just  right for the QB's has been going on for a long time.

Did you ever think about why the Colts complained about this? And why they knew so much about it?  Could it be that they were doing the same thing themselves, like all of the other teams have in some degree?

Brad Eden
Witch hunt, plain and simple. "Doctoring" balls to QB's requirements is commonplace in the NFL apparently, and was never a huge deal before. On any given day on any given game if balls were scrutinized, foul play could have been called. Many people hate Belechick and many people hate Brady and many people hate the Patriots because they win and beat other teams on a consistent basis. So they look under every rock for a turd. I understand that. But, Im more embarrassed for all the haters who are salivating in glee over what they perceive as the taking down of Brady and the Pats as I am ashamed of deflategate. Im really not that big a fan to begin with for any ball teams; Pats, Red Sox, Bruins, or Celtics. But I will say its great to be a New Englander when it comes down to sports (except maybe this year with the Red Sox apparently-dont really know, we don't get NESN). None of this lack of air changes that.

Kemo Sabe
Witch hunt, plain and simple. "Doctoring" balls to QB's requirements is commonplace in the NFL apparently, and was never a huge deal before.

Agree 100%.

What else is coming into play is Goodell himself. Up until this time, I really thought he was a good  Commish with a strong backbone and  doing a good job.

But this out of line  penalty he handed down reeks of making a decision that was best for his own personal well being. Lots of people like to hate Belichick and Brady because they have been so successful. If he lets Brady off easy, somewhere down the line he's going to get the race card played against him for doing so.

This whole thing is a sad chapter for professional football.

DennisMcFeely
Many people hate Belechick and many people hate Brady and many people hate the Patriots because they win and beat other teams on a consistent basis.

With the exception of the Giants in Superbowls.

WPG Gizmo
Many people hate Belechick and many people hate Brady and many people hate the Patriots because they win and beat other teams on a consistent basis.

They felt sorry for Eli having to live in Payton's shadow all those years now it is Eli that has 2 rings and Payton only has 1  :D

GB Jack

Witch hunt, plain and simple. "Doctoring" balls to QB's requirements is commonplace in the NFL apparently, and was never a huge deal before. On any given day on any given game if balls were scrutinized, foul play could have been called. Many people hate Belechick and many people hate Brady and many people hate the Patriots because they win and beat other teams on a consistent basis. So they look under every rock for a turd. I understand that. But, Im more embarrassed for all the haters who are salivating in glee over what they perceive as the taking down of Brady and the Pats as I am ashamed of deflategate. Im really not that big a fan to begin with for any ball teams; Pats, Red Sox, Bruins, or Celtics. But I will say its great to be a New Englander when it comes down to sports (except maybe this year with the Red Sox apparently-dont really know, we don't get NESN). None of this lack of air changes that.

Is that why you erased my location in my avatar and my picture in the bottom of my post?

Typical

Pats fan, just cover up what you don't agree with!

Hahahahhahahahahahahhahaa

GB Jack

And against Aaron Rodgers

Brad Eden

Is that why you erased my location in my avatar and my picture in the bottom of my post?

Typical

No, I removed your obnoxious location and oversized Pats hating signature photo because you can get out of control.

Hehehehehehehehheeh....etc., etc.

Gunflint Charlie

Jay

Disagree.

Hard to explain that anything was gained when the Colts got their butts kicked, 45-7. And, it wasn't that close.

'Round and 'round we go.

Why would a quarterback alter the balls except for a perceived advantage?? Your logic would give the same act a lighter or harsher penalty depending on how close the game played out? Makes no sense to me in any context.

Poor persecuted Tom Brady, undeserving victim of jealous people clamoring to tear down the hero. Uh, nooo ... it's all about entertainment, big stage, big show, big stars, big deal for Goodel in the spotlight. Must be the fault of the rule and all those merely entertained by Brady making a fool of himself with his stonewalling denial.

Jay

Field Grade

Like I said before, this is gamesmanship, same as pine tar a little high on the barrel of a bat or an emery board hidden in a pitcher's glove or waistbaand to rough up a ball.

This is also a huge windfall for Goodell and the NFL -- they get to completely divert the public attention away from REAL issues like all the wife beaters and junkies and assorted criminals in the league, and now they can act like Wild West Sheriffs who have come to clean up town and concentrate all attention and effluvium and energy on this BS.

I don't even like Brady -- he's killed  my Steelers on more occasions than I care to recall.

But this is a nonsense issue.

If the NFL went after REAL crimes they would not be able to finish a season because so many players across the league would be in jail.

Anyone who buys into this smokescreen would also buy oceanfront property in Nebraska... although, with climate change, I guess that might be a good long-term investment.

-Rob J.

GB Jack

Typical

No, I removed your obnoxious location and oversized Pats hating signature photo because you can get out of control.

Hehehehehehehehheeh....etc., etc.

What was " out of control" about either of those?