REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
Field Grade

Anthony Bourdain: Red stag hunting in Scotland

Field Grade

Anthony Bourdain, the traveling trencherman (or whatever you want to call him) has this show on CNN called 'Parts Unknown.'

On last night's show he traveled to Scotland and sampled the culture and cuisine there.

In the last segment of the show he went to an exclusive, high-class hunting estate in the Scottish Highlands. The type of place I will only ever see on TV (which is fine with me since I'm essentially a pot hunter with a meat dog and beat-up old guns).

But I liked the show because they ate wild grouse prepared traditionally -- let it hang for a few days, browned it, then covered it in bacon and roasted it, deglazed the pan and poured the gravy over it.

The next day they walked over hill and dale in the Mars-like terrain of the Highlands and Bourdain pulled the trigger on what looked to me like a pretty big red stag, although I don't know the first thing about these animals.

They field dressed it and he was given a faceful of viscera as his 'blooding.'

When they got back to the lodge (basically a castle) the chefs prepared the venison traditionally and they had a feast.

All of this was uppercrust and nothing that I will ever experience.

But I have to admit that they portrayed hunting in a positive light and that alone is reason enough for me to appreciate the episode.

As much as I want to dislike Bourdain's programs, I really can't find all that much fault with them. He kinda tells it like he sees it and gives you a window into various cultures that we don't often see.

I know CNN has its own general political agenda, but I'm not writing about that here... just the Bourdain show.

They will be repeating that Scotland episode in reruns, if anyone is interested.

Here's a clip, with the hunting stuff at the end:

http://cnn.it/1Rl2vrr

-Rob J.

trust me
Don't know who Bourdain is, but I'm betting he used a break action single shot stalking rifle.  Probably in 275 Rigby, can't be shooting a German caliber after all.  That would be bad form, old boy.

JWP58

While I don't agree with everything Bourdain, I enjoy most of his shows (No Reservations, Lay Over, etc.).

I especially liked his MT (Paradise Valley) No Reservations, dude got to hang out with Jim Harrison....cool in my book.

gonehuntin

I just got back from a trip to Ireland. While there I stayed at Adare Manor and fished the River Mague for Browns and Salmon. Closest I'll ever get to a deluxe trip. This was free.

P1010706_zpskpsema4r.jpgP1030216_zps6eq8chwm.jpg

Brad Eden
Whenever hunting is shown in a good light to the masses it makes me happy. His TV shows are interesting and I especially enjoy those dealing wth wild game. But Im a little weary of Boardains aging bad boy schtick. He readily admits hes been riding the coattails of his first book Kitchen Confidential; an irreverent and seedy exposé of New York City restaurants, kitchens and chefs, etc. I do recommend that book though.

bennelli-banger
I enjoy Bourdain big-time...LOVED the Montana episode!!!!!

Flyline
I enjoy all of Anthony's shows. My favorite was a few years ago when he spent some time with Ted Nugent on Uncle Ted's ranch in Texas. What a hoot!

Uplandish
He has always given hunting and killing  a more than fair shake in his books and TV shows. He (and his writers)  offer an unapologetic and necessary view on hunting and slaughtering - and partakes in both throughout many episodes of "No Reservations" and its newer CNN reincarnation "Parts Unknown".. it is where food comes from after all, a fact that far too many against hunting ( but not eating meat) have almost forgotten.

TonyS

What I really appreciate is that these chefs show the styrofoam only crowd where really good food comes from.  And it ain't styrofoam.

I have seen Tony hunt previously.  I saw an old episode of Marco Pierre White's show where he was hammering grouse, a deer and then he took his puppy, Gordon Ramsey, out salmon fishing.

No styrofoam-maybe the masses will catch on.  But I kinda hope not.

Jakeismydog2
I am a fan of Tony's shows. One of my favorites that included hunting was in the Ozarks I think. They went duck hunting. After the hunt the rednecks he went with cooked up some of the duck the way they usually do it. Then Tony cooked some up like a fancy chef would. Those rednecks could not believe that duck could taste as good as tony made it.

bigjohnsd

Saw last night's show, liked it.

Generally like the shows he does, a little different view of the world.

I will refrain from further expressing my feelings upon learning of his visit with the pervert from Texas. :down:

John

Anthony, Likes the Ramons...cant be all that..and his food choices are great.   Early on he struck as a elietist snob.  I think he honestly does take things as he experinces them, He has experienced al lot the world has to offer, and takes part in the one thing that binds us all...food.

He is someone I would like to meet and spend a few hours cooking with, I think it would be a hoot.

JWP58

Saw last night's show, liked it.

Generally like the shows he does, a little different view of the world.

I will refrain from further expressing my feelings upon learning of his visit with the pervert from Texas. :down:

If you're referring to Nugent, he ain't from Texas....and never will be.

I believe he's from Michigan...being the "motor city madman" and all.

atticus

I usually like Bourdain's shows and this was no exception.  I like his sarcastic point of view and enjoy the program's off the beaten track locations.  

I agree, as stated above, he has always given discussions around hunting and where meat comes from, an unblinking and fair look.

That said, his social commentary can get a bit tiresome--if not preachy.

Ben Hong
I usually like Bourdain's shows and this was no exception.  I like his sarcastic point of view and enjoy the program's off the beaten track locations.  

I agree, as stated above, he has always given discussions around hunting and where meat comes from, an unblinking and fair look.

That said, his social commentary can get a bit tiresome--if not preachy.

Like all good chefs, he knows and appreciates the provenance of his meats. And, he doesn't mince words.

I like.