A Broken Breed

PartridgeCartridge

I don't disagree totally with the flow of this conversation but I see repeatedly that Pit bulls were bred to fight....or attack or whatever......I believe the truth and a very important point is that they were bred to fight DOGS.....not people.

A lot of PB owners are completely stupid. I have seen them get a dog and then treat it like a lab, take it to the dog park and let it romp around.....I don't think that is the best way to do it. A PB is not a lab, it is a breed that has to have an educated owner, one who understand what he has and treats it accordingly.

Personally I feel what many people do and would never choose to bring one in my house. Not when there are so many other options.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• PartridgeCartridge

• bobman

• steveziv

• terrym

I grew up in a area with a lot of poverty.  The only people I knew that owned Pit Bulls were drug dealers or people that lived in places with so much crime that the benefits of having an aggressive dog outweighed the concerns.  While living in white suburbia it's hard to imagine the usefulness of having a dog mean enough that people would think twice about breaking into your house.  Pits Bull's are like guns in a way. People that don't own them can scarcely understand why people who have them would even want them.  They say things like, 'They are more likely to hurt you than they are to protect you.....etc etc".  

Taking a Pit Bull out of a shelter is a huge roll of the dice.  No matter the policies of the shelter concerning aggressive dogs, there is no guarantee that the people getting rid of the dogs are being truthful.  There is no telling what happened to that dog previously or what it was bred to be.  For all you know that pup came out of 5 generations of dogs living in the front hallway of a drug house bred for aggression and treated more like a set-gun than a pet.

Cooter Brown

I don't disagree totally with the flow of this conversation but I see repeatedly that Pit bulls were bred to fight....or attack or whatever......I believe the truth and a very important point is that they were bred to fight DOGS.....not people.

A lot of PB owners are completely stupid. I have seen them get a dog and then treat it like a lab, take it to the dog park and let it romp around.....I don't think that is the best way to do it. A PB is not a lab, it is a breed that has to have an educated owner, one who understand what he has and treats it accordingly.

Personally I feel what many people do and would never choose to bring one in my house. Not when there are so many other options.

First of all, Dave, I'm very sorry about your friend.

To gundogpa's point--true enough--I don't know much about the history of fighting dogs but it seems to me that a human aggressive fighting dog would be culled.

If anything is broken it's that pits are mostly not bred to fight now and that human aggression is not culled out.  Add to that the fact that human aggression is sometimes bred into the breed by certain alleged human beings and you have a very toxic mix.

Pointing dogs are bred to point, border collies to herd, Labs, Chessies to retrieve.  They sometimes do these things to the degree that it can be annoying.  These traits have been selected into the breeding for hundreds, maybe thousands of generations.

Pits are bred to fight.  It's just as simple as that.

Ever know anybody with a Border Collie that didn't have a real job?  They'll drive you crazy but likely not put you in the hospital.  I once saw a guy downtown that had a nice looking Brittany.  I talked to him.  The dog was a pet, not a field dog.  Broke my damned heart.  They guy's complaint?  The damn thing pointed all the time.  He couldn't make it stop pointing.  He couldn't even enjoy a nice walk through the park without having to drag the dog off point.

These bred in behaviors are very difficult to overcome.

What scares me are the people that have Pits etc. and seem to deny the fact that they were bred to fight and that they will sometimes choose to do so.  Obviously these are the sort of people who will not take precautions.

Add to that the fact that human aggression is not being bred out and sometimes bred in and you have a time bomb.

What's worse then a Pit Bull? The owner(s)

I've yet to meet a Pit owner that isn't a:

* DmbFck

Either someone has a Pit Bull for the "bad ass" factor or they think that a 90# ball of muscle and teeth that is bred for one thing (to kill) is a real "sweetie". The "Bad Ass" usually ain't so BA and the other faction is putting themselves, family and others at risk by exposing everybody to a bomb...a time bomb that will eventually go off...

a ban  on Pit Bulls and ban on Pit Bull owners would be awright with me. Don't get me started on Dobermans, Rotts and other similar breeds

Brad, let me apologize in advance. Rant over

Well you haven't met everyone who owns a pitbull have you?

Pit bulls are an obsolete breed, the very best thing that could possibly happen to the breed would be for all of them to be neutered and have the breed disappear into obsolescence.

I became a pitbull owner by accident, my daughter brought on the puppy from college I asked her to get rid of it of course she didn't,overtime we became attached to him.  I've never had any illusions about whether not he is dangerous, he certainly is.

My daughter went to Georgia State in downtown Atlanta and someone tried to carjack her, her pit was in the backseat the carjacking attempt ended badly for the carjacker. He is unstoppable, absolutely fearless and without question the most loyal and protective dog I've ever seen.

Unfortunately those types of traits are really a disadvantage in a modern society unless you live in the hood.

He is definitely not some maniacal monster that goes off at the blink of an eye or attacks any dogs or anything like that he is actually very stable.  Several of my bird dogs have acted alpha around him and he's ignored them luckily for my bird dogs.

My single son 29 years of age now keeps him as a watch dog on his property he's just too dangerous to have around my bird dogs which are dumb enough to bite him and they can't understand what he is.

I feel very sorry for pitbulls and the way they're treated every pound is full of them and they are constantly being killed.

I obedience trained him which was very easy because are they are very willing dogs and we have pretty good control over him. However I think he's a huge liability and I would strongly recommend that nobody ever intentionally get a pitbull.

I admit I love him, in a lot of ways he's been the best dog I've ever owned he's also real worry I worried for his safety and I worried for the safety of people around him.

You have to own one to really understand what they're all about .

Don't ever get one is my advice.

PartridgeCartridge
What's worse then a Pit Bull? The owner(s)

I've yet to meet a Pit owner that isn't a:

* DmbFck

My buddy certainly doesn't meet your criterion.

I don't blame the dogs as they are nothing but the product of selective breeding. The breed was designed to fight to the death. Other breeds are created to herd, point, retrieve etc. Blame the humans.

That said I consider every single pit bull as a menace. They are a live grenade with a rusty pin. Every time a tragedy happens it's always somebody's well behaved family pet that ....snapped. They likely don't all snap but enough of them do to make it quite evident these things don't belong among people and other animals. With all the other more predictable breeds I have to question why people choose that one? Actually I think I know why they do. Thankfully here Pits need to be neutered and can't be in public without a full muzzle restraint.

Cooter Brown
Well you haven't met everyone who owns a pitbull have you?

Pit bulls are an obsolete breed, the very best thing that could possibly happen to the breed would be for all of them to be neutered and have the breed disappear into obsolescence.

I became a pitbull owner by accident, my daughter brought on the puppy from college I asked her to get rid of it of course she didn't,overtime we became attached to him.  I've never had any illusions about whether not he is dangerous, he certainly is.

My daughter went to Georgia State in downtown Atlanta and someone tried to carjack her, her pit was in the backseat the carjacking attempt ended badly for the carjacker. He is unstoppable, absolutely fearless and without question the most loyal and protective dog I've ever seen.

Unfortunately those types of traits are really a disadvantage in a modern society unless you live in the hood.

He is definitely not some maniacal monster that goes off at the blink of an eye or attacks any dogs or anything like that he is actually very stable.  Several of my bird dogs have acted alpha around him and he's ignored them luckily for my bird dogs.

My single son 29 years of age now keeps him as a watch dog on his property he's just too dangerous to have around my bird dogs which are dumb enough to bite him and they can't understand what he is.

I feel very sorry for pitbulls and the way they're treated every pound is full of them and they are constantly being killed.

I obedience trained him which was very easy because are they are very willing dogs and we have pretty good control over him. However I think he's a huge liability and I would strongly recommend that nobody ever intentionally get a pitbull.

I admit I love him, in a lot of ways he's been the best dog I've ever owned he's also real worry I worried for his safety and I worried for the safety of people around him.

You have to own one to really understand what they're all about .

Don't ever get one is my advice.

That's quite a post, bobman.

My brother works animal control and he tells me all the stories about the dogs he's had to catch and some he's had to put down.  One pit bull that he had to put down required two slugs from his 12 gauge to convince it to turn around, and a third to finish the job.  Crap.  He said that where pits are different from other breeds is that they have had their sense of self preservation bred out of them.  He has seen videos of pits with broken front legs that people line up to fight...they literally fight until they are dead.

Another difference he has noted is that some breeds (like herding breeds) typically bite to incapacitate something...going for heels, arms, etc.  Pits go for the head and neck...much more serious!

I'll never own one...and I don't trust any of them.  I figure if someone has one, they probably don't know enough to control the thing.  If they did, odds are they wouldn't have it!  (Bobman, I'm sure you aren't in this category).

I've seen enough of Pit Bulls and their owners (both Thug want-to-be's and the innocent Uniformed) to form an opinion... and even though there is the rare exception (there always is), I'll stick to that opinion

PC, I'm really sorry to hear about your friend and I certainly wish him a full recovery. You did try to talk him out of the deal, wish he would of listened to you. Hope that Pit got a case of lead poisoning shortly after the incident

I donated some feed to our local animal shelter a while back. they had 20 dogs, 18 were Pits. I'll bet that ratio is fairly close in shelters nationwide. I find Animal Shelter visits to be a gut wrenching experience...regardless of breed/species involved

cthemfly25

Pit bulls are the preferred breed of drug dealers and a task force assigns team members to take them out in a raid.  Our neighbors grandkid brought his pit home from college and left it with his grandfather.  No control over the beast, and no training.  He leaped our picket fence from a standing position...and he's a big pit.....chased my cocker and then turned toward me.  You cannot read the dog.  I looked away and covered my privates.  He didn't attack.  I was lucky.  Years later that same dog attacked and almost killed a Great Dane.  The owner attempted to pull the pit bull off the Dane and his fore arm was ripped open requiring 24 stitches.  He still has that dog.  The problem isn't whether they bite or attack more than other breeds....hell, there may be more bites from cockers than from pits but the consequences for a pit bite are devastating if not deadly.  

Really sorry for the OP's friend.

PartridgeCartridge

The really sad thing to me about the whole situation is that, in one day, my friend lost his dog and his face.

That's a tough day by anyone's standard.

PaFlyfisher

Dave, first of all, I'm very, very sorry to hear about your friend.

As to your point, I couldn't agree more. People who own pitbulls will cite their experience with the gentle side of the breed. This is a pretty weak argument, I think. Plenty of dogs can be equally or even more gentle and loving, without the proclivity towards aggression. That labs or goldens bit more people is also a nonsense statistic, as there are many fold more of those dogs in the world.

I think one can absolutely not disregard the ferocious purpose breed into the pitbull historically, and its continued value as a guard dog and even, albeit rarely, fighting dog, that continues to motivate breeding today, traits that may have been selected for in the parents of any dog in a shelter one may consider adopting. Not a gamble I want to take.

There are so many great dog breeds, many with the innate ability and desire to guard you and yours, why anyone rolls the dice with a pitbull is beyond me.

Bede

I honestly think dog fighting is much more prevalent than some people think. People seem to think it rarely happens, however go to tha hood and I bet it wouldn't be hard to lay some money down on a dog fight on a Friday night.
braque du upstate
that sucks dave. my friend had his two year old disfigured. his malinois was a internationally famous protection dog . STUPID dog fight between  his dog and his wife's ankle bitter. poor kid lost his eye, half his face etc, etc. one of the big reasons i got out of protection training. domesticated or not, powerful breeds are potentially deadly. i got tired of the hassle and responsibility.  split second and lives are ruined.