A Broken Breed

PartridgeCartridge

Don Steese
What's worse then a Pit Bull? The owner(s)

I've yet to meet a Pit owner that isn't a:

* DmbFck

My buddy certainly doesn't meet your criterion.

No but the majority of pit bull owners do, in my opinion. My question is, with all the hundreds of breeds out there, why would anyone want one of these mutants?  I think I know, but will leave it to others to figure it out for themselves.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• PartridgeCartridge

• bobman

• steveziv

• terrym

VizslavsBird

Hello, I am must be Dmbfck that was referred to by one of the member here.

It twas a pleasure to be called such and esteemed name by someone that has never met me or my dogs.

Thanks

Man,  I hope your buddy has a good recovery from this!  Very sad situation.

For me this is one more check on the no way in hell I'll ever own or let my family be around these types of breeds.  

I'm a surveyor and have had a couple scary moments with pits around people's houses.  If I was aloud to carry a gun at work I would and that is because of those moments!  Unfortunately the point of my rod will have to do.

Funny you brought up pit bulls and for what its worth I totally agree with the points members have brought up, two in particular

1. Getting bit by lab or pointer isn't the same as getting bit by a pit bull

2. Dogs are breed to do a job I never thought much about that till my 6 week old GWP 's were the  back yard pointing butter flys and robins.  Pits jobs are to fight and kill other dogs.

Last Sunday I was coming home from the dog park and there was a big old pit mastif mix running loose down the street . Neighbors running into their houses ect.  I stopped and called it over. Dog came right over sniffed my hand and I gave him a pat on the head and put a leash is collar with no tag. No problem. I tied him up to a street pole got some water and food dog.  He seemed well feed, intact but had a eye infection and a goofy left eye. Why in the world you would not have a tag on your dog is beyond me.  I walked him around 4 neighborhoods asking anyone out if they knew this dog finally I gave up and headed home.

My wife tried calling animal control with no answer then she starting calling "bully dog" rescue groups no answer (and no call back on Monday either after leaving messages) finally she called 911 because 311 doesn't work on Sundays. The first dispatcher said let it go there's nothing we can do. No way was I going to turn this dog loose. This was a 90 lbs dog it could hurt some one -hell it could total your car if you hit it.

She called back again and got a different dispatcher and she sent a k9 unit then transferred her to the supervisor  Who was not happy about the notion of turning the dog loose.

The K9 cops showed up and put him in the back seat and also informed us the the 911 call was recorded and no one should have told us to let the dog go He also said the supervisor would be dealing with that dispatcher.

He's in the MPLS animal pound under the name "THOR" I doubt the owner will pick him with all the fines ect. to release him. I feel sorry for him, he's more that likely going to be put down. I got a soft spot for dogs.

I'm glad he didn't bite me.  PC hope your buddy heals up - I hear chicks dig scars

Don Steese
Hello, I am must be Dmbfck that was referred to by one of the member here.

It twas a pleasure to be called such and esteemed name by someone that has never met me or my dogs.

Thanks

I think you'll find that said member was speaking in generalities. Not meant as a personal attack. There are always exceptions to the rule and you're likely one.

So I'm jogging down a narrow trail along a ridge in a nearby state park.  Ahead I see a "typical" PB owner and his dog heading up the trail.  The dog is on a leash but as I approach he makes no effort to rein it in.  10 yards away I come to a slow walk stick to my side of the trail and pass (with a polite greeting) never taking my eyes off the dog.  I hear a disgusted "sheesh!" from him as he continues on.  What the hell?  You think I'm going to run straight at a pit bull and it's owner, pass within two feet and hope for the best?  No point really, just thought I'd share.
Grouse Gunner

I have a very interesting story about a Pit. Few friends of mine were out doing surveillance on a double murder suspect/dealer/all around piece of sh*t. Around 4:15 in the AM they see the target pull in in the drive way, walk into the house, and proceed to give him the worst welcome party ever. They hit the house (mansion) him and his friends were squatting in with a few flash bangs and went to work clearing the house.

Long story short, there's a 10-12 week old pit who sustained numerous flash bangs and a lot chaos and wasn't remotely phased. He thought it was a game. The dog literally would walk around the house as our team cleared the place and point out where individuals were hiding. The dog would stop at a door, they'd clear the rooms before it, and then get real focused where the dog was standing. Sure enough, they'd find a bandit.

This dog tried to sit next to the 11 individuals detained. He was eating cigarette butts and drinking spilled liquor. They kicked him off of him while detained in flexicuffs, said it wasn't their dog, etc..he was found a home within two days and is alive and well.

That being said, everyone who knew how that dog was raised refused to take that dog. The dog was a complete ******* as a 10 week old. Humped relentlessly, bit everything, fought incessantly. From what I've heard he is in a good situation and doing well, albeit his humping problem.

Regardless, I will never own one and will turn away from a park if there is one where I am running my dog. Call me jaded, I don't care. I've been trained to expect the worst in my career and will keep my dog away from any situation which has the potential for harm.

Lot of folks that reject media hype buy into it on this topic. According to their usually inaccurate reports every dog attack is a pit. Most of what you hear just isn't fact.

Anyone that follows the media should recognize they aren't concerned with facts just how sensational they can make the stories.

I follow this topic closely and have for a long time, the vast number of "pitbull" attacks in Atlanta are not pits.

If you read my previous post I strongly recommend not owning a pit, but I really believe very few people in the general population have any clue about dogs.

I don't believe it's fair to paint a picture with such broad strokes.  When that happens often people/things get included that don't deserve to be.  Incidents should be judged on an individual basis, as each situation is unique to the individuals involved.
Sorry to hear about your friend PC. Pits make me nervous and I avoid them.
Sorry to hear about your friend PC. Pits make me nervous and I avoid them.

My sentiments exactly .

This post is not meant to start an argument but to relay some disturbing info about an incident that just happened to a person very close to me.

He recently adopted a young pit bull from a shelter. I counseled him about the downside to the breed, the current dog bite statistics and my opinion that somewhere in the past, this particular breed had a broken gene that often manifests itself in unspeakable carnage. He disregarded my input and moved forward with the adoption.

I really wanted to like this dog. He seemed to have perfect confirmation and a very playful and gentle demeanor. He loved getting his belly scratched. By all appearances, he was gentle and biddable.

I really wanted to like this dog.

I did notice from the very beginning that this dog would lay in the corner on his dog bed and leer intently at my buddy.

The pup also growled at anyone approaching his food bowl. Except me. He was docile and friendly as a puppy with me.

Two nights ago, my buddy was watching TV and called the pup up next to him for a belly scratching like he had done a hundred times before.

The pup jumped up on the couch and clamped his jaws around my friend's face and began to violently shake his head. The resulting facial wound will require plastic surgery to close and fix. His septum was punctured as well.

There was blood on the walls of the living room. It was a vicious attack.

We are still in a state of bewilderment about the whole thing.

Personally I do believe that there is a broken chromosome or a defective gene in SBT's/AST's (Pit Bulls).

I will NEVER trust another Pit Bull.

Her name was Lady.

She was the neighbor's dog before leash laws were enacted.

She was friendly.

One day, I saw her easing about.

The next thing I knew she was after me and got me.

I'm lucky the owner was nearby and got her off me.

That was 1969.

I never trusted her or any other pit bull since that day.

Hope your friend heals well physically and emotionally.

NW River Mac
I don't believe it's fair to paint a picture with such broad strokes.  When that happens often people/things get included that don't deserve to be.  Incidents should be judged on an individual basis, as each situation is unique to the individuals involved.

I think if you do a bit of research you will find the empirical data that supports most of these negative comments about PB's.  If you don't want to see it you, wont.  

Interestingly there have been several comments written here that have not changed my mind about this breed but have reinforced my belief that these dogs don't have a place in the general public.  

I'm paraphrasing here:

People think these are lab type dogs...  They are not!

The guy couldn't go for a relaxing walk with his Britt because he kept pointing and had to pull him off...  Should he expect something different?

Jumped up on the couch, grabbed his head and shook it...  Well, the documentation supports such behavior from this breed.

All these comments speak to a thousand years of breeding for such traits and 30-50 years of backyard breeding by people naive enough to think they have a "great" dog has done nothing to breed these traits out.  

If you have a PB and nothing bad happens you gambled and won.  But, you gambled and the odds against you winning are much greater than if you had any other breed.

Country Nate
I don't like the dam things, never did.  They have a tendency to "snap" at any moment.  My fear is that someone in my neighborhood will get one.....
Pit Bulls became illegal to have in my town after an incident in which one owned by a family, for an unknown reason, killed their two year old child, drug her body around the fenced in back yard and had to be shot by LEO's so they could recover the body.