A Broken Breed

PartridgeCartridge

I am always a little leery of PBs, and pay close attention when I'm around them, but I can't say that I've ever had a bad experience with one. Some of the owners who feel the need to decorate them with spiked collars, while they chain them in the back of open Jeeps with chrome plated log chains, concern me far more. I do get concerned when one gets around my dog. It seems to me that dogs of any breed are more likely to fight with another dog than with a person and, quite honestly, my setter wouldn't have a chance against a PB.

As for the breed being broken, I don't think it is. In fact, I think they do exactly what they were bred to do. I just don't know that a dog with those bred-in instincts should be exposed to the general public. The first PBs I was around were owned by a man in the deep south whose property bordered swamp and river. His kids played freely with the dogs in the yard but he said that wouldn't be possible without the PBs to protect them from the water moccasins and alligators that often came into the yard. I feel certain he never took the dogs to a Farmer's Market or social gathering. They were simply dogs with a job to do.

PC, sorry to hear about your friend and hope all works out well for him. I actually thought you were tugging our legs when I first read the post. Sorry for interpreting that wrong.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• PartridgeCartridge

• bobman

• steveziv

• terrym

MTRookie76
Dave, very sorry about your friend. I hope he makes a full recovery mentally and physically.
Virgil Kane

I live in the verbs and we have a guy in the neighborhood that has 2 PB's. Fits what Wyo has described to a "T". I walk my Britt on the sidewalk and this jagbag struts down the middle of the street with his PB's in tow. Makes cars wait and yells at them when they go around him and his thugs. He intentionally will see someone coming with a dog and go to their side of the street because he gets a kick out of his dogs lunging at the end of their leads at the unsuspecting dog walkers and dog. Since this guy got these PB's a few years ago I now carry concealed when walking my dog in what should be a safe neighborhood. It's just a matter of time before these dogs kill something be it another dog or a child. I often think that this guy needs a good a$$ whipping, after all he's encouraging their behavior.

That being said, while I do not trust these breeds I have to wonder if most problems are from first time dog owners that have no business owning a breed like PB's. Hey I love dogs and have owned Britt's, Treeing Walkers and Cockers but as an example  I  don't think I would never own a Chessie, I don't think I could handle one and know my limitations. Not that Chessies are bad dogs, they are not but the ones I have had contact with are a bit aggressive compared to Britt's and I just don't have the skills necessary to train such a dog . I wouldn't ever consider owning a PB and for first time dog owners I think  they are taking on something they have little chance of being successful at.

I got attacked by a yellow lab a few years ago and have the scars on my arm to prove it. The dog jumped at my face when I walked by the dog and it's owner and I blocked it with my arm. Funny that when I went to the hospital to get treatment I was told by the nurse and police officer that the number one dog for recorded dog bites in this area is the Labrador Retriever. I would guess only because of the sear numbers because of their popularity. Had this been a PB I fear I would have been in a fight for my life.

PC I'm sorry to hear about your friend. A tough day indeed, hope he recovers from this tragedy.

Virgil

Pits represent less than 10% of the dog population yet disproportionately represent attacks and injury. In total dog bites a higher population might show more incidents but that doesn't disprove the inherent danger of that breed.

Breed Bodily harm Child Victims Adult Victims Deaths Maimings % of total dog population

Pit bull 3397 1355 1312 295 2110 6.69%

Rottweiler 535 297 141 85 296 2.76%

Husky 83 51 8 26 27 1.04%

Wolf hybrid 85 70 5 19 49

Bullmastiff (Presa canario) 111 46 41 18 63 .02%

German shepherd 113 65 41 15 73 3.72%

Pit bull-mix 206 78 54 12 115

Akita 70 44 22 8 52 .07%

Chow 61 37 18 8 40 .01%

Doberman 23 12 9 8 12 1.70%

Unidentified 81 16 29 8 32

Boxer 64 19 23 7 31 1.25%

German shepherd-mix 45 28 14 7 30

*Chart ordered by number of deaths; includes only a portion of breeds listed in report.

Actually the breed is broken, originally when bred for the pit and for fighting they were ruthlessly culled if they ever bit humans.

It had to be done so the owners of the dogs could separate them at the end of a bout in the pit.

Today just the opposite happens, now foolish people intentionally breed them to be human aggressive .

The breed has no place in modern civil society.

A pit bull thread.....again....the real question is will ther be pit bulls in the after life? :p  :p  :p  :D
High Mtn Hunter
The first thought I always have whenever I see a pit bull is " why in the hell would anyone choose to own that dog?"  Even a little bit of research would indicate that it is a potentially dangerous breed and the reality is that the breed scares most people to some extent.  So unless you are a thug / drug dealer etc, why would anyone make the choice to get a dog that scares people and is a potentially deadly dangerous animal that is viewed by most people as such?  I just cannot understand that and I see many seeming normal men and women who have these dogs as pets and walk them off leash in my area.  It mystifies me.

Dave,

Sorry about your friend.  A real tragedy.   Can't add anything, as I agree with all others. The breed scares me.

I'm in agreement with this thread.   So I couldn't believe when this morning I saw the following post from a shelter in Mass. who is selling/placing 19 puppies from pit bull and Cane Corso mothers - mothers whom they identified as aggressive.  This is just stupid.  For those who are not familiar, Cane Corso's are pretty much a giant, more aggressive pit bull - favored by those for whom a regular pit isn't quite enough dog.  

19 pit-Cane Corso pups

PartridgeCartridge
I'm in agreement with this thread.   So I couldn't believe when this morning I saw the following post from a shelter in Mass. who is selling/placing 19 puppies from pit bull and Cane Corso mothers - mothers whom they identified as aggressive.  This is just stupid.  For those who are not familiar, Cane Corso's are pretty much a giant, more aggressive pit bull - favored by those for whom a regular pit isn't quite enough dog.  

19 pit-Cane Corso pups

Putting those pups out for adoption seems almost criminally negligent given the documented aggressive tendencies of the bitch.

What are people thinking? I guess you just can't fix stupid.

WHY own one?

I wondered myself why anyone would want one until I owned one.

The ones that are stable well bred and never ever bite anyone, which is by far most of them, are really really nice dogs.

They have every trait someone would want in a pet companion type dog.

I still would never recommend anyone ever have one.

VizslavsBird

Our place is remote but on a main road.  Typical LEO response time is over 45 minutes in our part of the county.  A very big county with few LEO's.

Sometimes all you need is a good deterrent.  We have watched numerous times when some one would pull in the driveway and just look at the dog and go on down the road.  When you aren't a local, when you haven't called to indicate you were there on business, you probably have no reason to be here.  

Some would go ahead and pull on up to the house.  The pit would go up on the porch and position himself right in front of the door, just stand there and stare.  Very few ever rang the doorbell, most would honk the horn.  

Over 20 years of having pits and not one bite on a human.  Selection of the bloodlines most important, training is a very close second.  All it takes is a bit of common sense.

If small kids are going to be there the dogs are put up.  All dogs.  

We don't think we are bad asses.  We don't walk our dogs down the street or road to scare people. Our dogs stay on our remote property as watch dogs,,,,not guard dogs.  Hopefully you know the difference.

MN Tonester
When the weather warms up, we like to take our lab to the beach for him to fetch tennis balls out of the water.  Last summer, this young man had his pit with him and it was fortunate he had the dog on a leash because it was all he could do to keep his dog from challenging and lunging at every other dog on the beach.  I shudder to think what would have happened if that leash had parted.  The fellow had no business owning such a dog that he had marginal control over.
When the weather warms up, we like to take our lab to the beach for him to fetch tennis balls out of the water.  Last summer, this young man had his pit with him and it was fortunate he had the dog on a leash because it was all he could do to keep his dog from challenging and lunging at every other dog on the beach.  I shudder to think what would have happened if that leash had parted.  The fellow had no business owning such a dog that he had marginal control over.

YEP,

that right there is the real problem

I told my son not to bring ours back here unless its some kind of emergency I don't want it near my dogs period.

I had a incurably dog aggressive American bull dog cross that someone dumped on our road and I tried to help, we had him for about 6 months, ended up shooting it in my front yard when it had one of my shorthairs by the throat.

That was a bad day... my kids didn't understand because the dog was friendly to them, but vicious with other dogs.

I still regret it but didn't really see any practical alternative.

We don't think we are bad asses.  We don't walk our dogs down the street or road to scare people. Our dogs stay on our remote property as watch dogs,,,,not guard dogs.  Hopefully you know the difference.

I think I do know the difference and that's why I keep riding the fence on this topic. Your dogs have a legitimate job to do and they're doing it. It isn't unlike the guy I mentioned earlier who kept PBs to protect his kids from the snakes that came into his yard. You both have have somewhat unique situations and it seems the dogs are suited to address the needs. Personally, I don't think I'll ever want or need a pit bull, and many people I see with them shouldn't have them, but that doesn't mean they're wrong for everyone or in every situation.