A Broken Breed

PartridgeCartridge

Just read this--

CHICAGO (WLS) -- A 5-year-old boy was killed by a dog on the city's South Side Monday night. Several witnesses intervened, eventually killing the pit bull that just wouldn't let go of the child.

Just scare me.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• PartridgeCartridge

• bobman

• steveziv

• terrym

Virgil Kane

Same story  I talked about in post #74.

Sad

PartridgeCartridge
Just read this--

CHICAGO (WLS) -- A 5-year-old boy was killed by a dog on the city's South Side Monday night. Several witnesses intervened, eventually killing the pit bull that just wouldn't let go of the child.

Just scare me.

I'm sure it was a "nice" dog.

Until it wasn't.

Just ask yourself one simple question...

Ever heard this kind of story, that repeats itself weekly and a Springer, or a Pointer or a Brit or a Setter was involved?

It does happen, but very rarely.

Statistical relevance cannot be ignored.

Ever wonder why Wolves make bad house pets?

Pits are "that" wolf. It just happens to share your house/ couch with you.

Mindboggling that humans think we can change the laws of nature... when those very simple, and sometimes cruel laws, apply to us even more.

What is really sad is working with a female who 'loves' pits and rotts and has them as house dogs with a kid in the house. I've said more than once it only takes one slip and fall, one shrill of a scream or maybe just lovingly looking into the dogs eyes; and bam, face is gone or worse. This women mind you is well educated, works in the health care field, etc; but she would argue till the cows came home about those posted statistics and how they are biased. Some people just aren't right.

Mindboggling that humans think we can change the laws of nature... when those very simple, and sometimes cruel laws, apply to us even more.

Wrong.  Wolves are wild and undomesticated, and not selectively bred for given traits/behaviors.

Pit bulls are domesticated and bred for specific unfortunate traits.  Those traits can be selectively bred out.

Big difference.

PartridgeCartridge

Wrong.  Wolves are wild and undomesticated, and not selectively bred for given traits/behaviors.

Pit bulls are domesticated and bred for specific unfortunate traits.  Those traits can be selectively bred out.

Big difference.

Not really.

Both species have undesirable traits that simply don't compliment cohabitation with humans.

As one member so succinctly pointed out...Pits are an old grenade with a rusty pin. I suspect if you live with a wolf, the same end game will most likely occur as well....

Different grenade with the same old rusty pin.

Big difference.

Not really.

Both species have undesirable traits that simply don't compliment cohabitation with humans.

As one member so succinctly pointed out...Pits are an old grenade with a rusty pin. I suspect if you live with a wolf, the same end game will most likely occur as well....

Different grenade with the same old rusty pin.

Clever metaphors but science trumps emotion all day.

The lady two doors down from me is one of those people who think pit bulls are simply misunderstood dogs who get a bad rap by the press.  She is demonstrating to the World just how wrong they are by owning these dogs herself.

Just the other day she told me with surprise in her voice that she has to walk the female pit at odd hours of the day to avoid other dog walkers because it is so aggressive to other dogs.

A pit bull aggressive to other dogs!? Who'da thunk!?

braque du upstate
some of my worst bites came from toy breeds. nobody cares when a wiener dog lights you up. they were breed to kill badgers in their holes. tough SOB. working in the kennel, i lifted thousands of dogs into the air. a ten pound dog is what it is. i don't necessarily think  pits are inherently evil. they just have the power and reputation to create a perfect storm. damn ankle bitters would probably kill me if they could. domesticated or not, dogs still have my respect.

Dave, I am sorry your friend experienced this tragedy.

Pit bull discussions seem to be very polarized. Growing up in Florida as a teenager I used them to effectively hunt wild hogs. They were so effective, a poor kid could kill the hog with a knife while they held the hog down. I couldn't afford a gun :).

I never owned one, but friends (redneck white trash to educated 'normal' types) would loan them to me to use. None of these dogs lived in the house, they were kept in very secure kennels and treated like hunting dogs. I can only recall one mean pup and his owner would abuse him through the fencing believing that it made him tougher. Can ya guess which type of friend I am describing? Anyway, I think they were bred to bite and hold, and I suspect when they injure humans it may stem from their upbringing at least from my experience.

Big difference.

I believe that nature did the selection with wolves, if they did not cut it in the wild they would not survive.

Its more complicated just because wolves have the pack structure and probably  a much higher intelligence than domestic dogs.  But if you break it down to basic level,  it’s survival of the fittest.

Barna