A FYI CYA in NH

If you are driving into NH this weekend know that we are now hands free which mean NO electronic devices (cell phone ipod gps i.e.) can be in your hands while driving or stopped at a light.  

This is only for the driver of the vehicle the passenger can do what they want.  

You can use blue tooth or safely pull of the road if you feel the need to check your phone.

It is being enforced first fine is $100 second $250 third $500.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• MAArcher

• Dogwood

• WPG Gizmo

• Don Steese

This past weekend in NH on 95 I saw the electronic signs giving warning.

I bet they bag a ton of people this weekend....

So much for live free or die.

probably trying to curb the live free and kill others by accident.

It seems smart phone usage has hit the #1 spot for accident creation.

probably trying to curb the live free and kill others by accident.

It seems smart phone usage has hit the #1 spot for accident creation.

That's the problem with people, not putting blame where it belongs and not calling a spade a spade.  

Its not an accident so don't treat it like one.  It is criminally negligent to smash into someone while talking on the phone so charge them with criminal negligence.  We don't need another law.  We shouldn't be legislating to the lowest common denominator.  There should be no ticket for talking and driving.  There should be enforcement of laws we already have and jail time for talking and smashing into someone.

I can talk on the phone and drive.  If you can't, and evidence it by smashing into someone, then you go to jail.  The next guy sees that and thinks twice.

If you know that talking/texting/facebooking/UJ posting while driving increases the risk of you hurting someone and you do it anyway, then you should be prepared to pay the price.

I agree.  Dumbarse driving is dumbarse driving, whether it be a phone in your hand, or a mascara brush, or a quart of Colt 45.

It's been the law a while here and I'm getting seriously pissed seeing all the LEO's whipping down the road with a phone jammed to their ear. If they ever cite me for it, I'll make it my life's mission to photograph and report each and every one of them that I see doing it.

Not much to living free or otherwise when you are dead.

Friend of a friend's lovely 19 year old daughter was told over and again by everyone not to text or talk on the cellphone while driving. It was horrible what she did to the other family and herself. The dead were lucky.

Its not an accident so don't treat it like one.  It is criminally negligent to smash into someone while talking on the phone so charge them with criminal negligence.  We don't need another law.  We shouldn't be legislating to the lowest common denominator.  There should be no ticket for talking and driving.  There should be enforcement of laws we already have and jail time for talking and smashing into someone.

I can talk on the phone and drive.  If you can't, and evidence it by smashing into someone, then you go to jail.  The next guy sees that and thinks twice.

How's that going to help the poor SOB that gets crippled or killed by a distracted driver?  Let's prevent the wreck (and I am OK with throwing the book at them if they cause an accident)

FWIW nearly everyone thinks they can drive OK with a phone up to their ear - studies and my personal observations disagree.

I'm sorry for the wronged and stupid, but it doesn't mean u get to infringe my rights.   Give up liberty for security and u deserve neither.

It doesn't help the poor sob.  But by that logic we should all surrender our guns and drivers licenses and live locked in our homes.

Can you still pick your nose while driving in NH?

Damn it Brad, I'm trying to have a serious discussion and get people to think logically.

NH statute now reads: You can pick your nose, and you can pick your friends, but you can't pick your friends nose.

I for one have no issue with this new law it has been proven time and again distracted driving kills period.

There is nothing so important that you can not pull over to make a call if need be or to check your facebook status just dont be a arse and do it while operating a vehicle.

I have been flagging a lot of traffic the past few weeks as we have one lane of road closed while we work.  Better then 50% of the drivers that pass me had a phone in their hands doing what ever while I am trying to get them to stop so they dont hit the cars coming at them or one of my co workers.  You also do not see the drivers that are reading the paper literally holding it up in front of them while driving , eating a bowl of cereal one hand holding the bowl one the spoon, changing clothes at 50 mph I dont get how you feel the need to put on a new shirt, putting on makeup staring into the mirror with both hands involved and a ton of other things.  They are not driving they are just going down the road in a object that can kill anyone it comes in contact with including them.

The way you see it is to let the people do what they want and then if they do something wrong make them pay.  When they do something wrong it is to late most times.

How about if it was you or your family that was injured or killed because someone was on their phone.  

Like it or not the law is NO electronic devices can be in the drivers hand while the vehicle is in operation very simple and easy to understand just dont do it.

Put a chip/software in all phones that disables phone calls/texts over 5 mph and forget about enforcement.  Simple as that.  Won't happen accordingly.  Too easy.

Talking and texting while driving is as dangerous as driving while drunk and should have the same consequences

There is no "right" to do anything in a vehicle it's a priveledge granted by the state and they can make any rules they want

Put a chip/software in all phones that disables phone calls/texts over 5 mph and forget about enforcement.  Simple as that.  Won't happen accordingly.  Too easy.

They already have many devices that will do it they run about $100 or you can download a App that will do the same thing.  The one I want is the jammer that works for 30 minutes and looks like a salt shaker makes for quite dinners :D