A FYI CYA in NH

They tried to legislate a similar ban on phone/texting etc while driving in Maine recently and it failed.
  • Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• MAArcher

• Dogwood

• WPG Gizmo

• Don Steese

Because of increased exposure while riding a motorcycle, one really tends to notice what the "Cager's" around them are up to when they are supposed to be driving.

Makeup, tweezing eyebrows, phone, reading a book, etc, but when you see a weaver or a car stopped at a green light with driver's head down you know that they are either drunk or texting.

Happens all too often.

Talking and texting while driving is as dangerous as driving while drunk and should have the same consequences

There is no "right" to do anything in a vehicle it's a priveledge granted by the state and they can make any rules they want

Some people in the nearest big city, San Antonio, can't drive well undistracted, much less talking on their phone. Coupla months ago as I was driving through a GREEN light (I always look both ways in SA, even with the light) I noticed a gal stopped at my RH side at the red light. She was obviously yapping on her phone, waving her hands around, etc.

The stupid b***** suddenly drove through the red light, still babbling on her phone. Since I was watching her I stopped in time and gave her a few hearty curse words and a blast from my horn from behind.

She pulled off the road suddenly, no signal, still yapping on her phone.

Yeah, it's illegal to drive and use the phone in SA. You cannot fix stupid. Not with any law.

I am hyper careful in SA; it has some of the worst drivers west of Rome. Italy.

I drive over 30K miles per year for my job and since cell phones I see 5 times the inattentive screw ups.
I think the problem is with smart phones and not flip phones. I couldn't text or even read texts while driving if I tried with my old flip phone or barely at least. I just got an iPhone and its basically a tiny ipad tablet/computer that happens to work as a phone too. These devices are what people are being distracted with.

That's true to a large extent but we all owe it to our fellow citizens to give one hundred percent of our attention to driving.

We all take driving automobiles lightly when it is factually the most dangerous activity we do

Bobman, that's why there needs to be heavy consequences if you hurt someone.  But instead, we label it an "accident".  

Bottom line, I can talk on the phone and drive just fine.  Its easier than talking to someone sitting next to me because I don't have an urge to look over at them and take my eyes off the road.  My life shouldn't be restricted because a teenager texts and drives.  How about we leave me alone since I'm not hurting anyone, and make an example out of the teen that is?  

Our culture of punishing the many because of the stupidity of the few (which I call legislating to the lowest common denominator) is sickening and fool hardy.

Bottom line, I can talk on the phone and drive just fine.  How about we leave me alone since I'm not hurting anyone.

You hear the same excuse about drunk driving also

Seriously?  If you can't call your wife and tell here you are going to be late for dinner because traffic is bad and drive at the same time, you shouldn't be driving, something's wrong with you and you need to get checked out by a doctor.

Put a chip/software in all phones that disables phone calls/texts over 5 mph and forget about enforcement.  Simple as that.  Won't happen accordingly.  Too easy.

They already have many devices that will do it they run about $100 or you can download a App that will do the same thing.  The one I want is the jammer that works for 30 minutes and looks like a salt shaker makes for quite dinners :D

Very few folks will do so voluntarily IMO.  It would need to be mandated by the FCC (I'm guessing) to the phone manufacturers for all new phones sold going forward.  In turn Verizon, ATT, Nextel, etc. will lobby against it, I would think, as that would drop text and voice revenues.

I drove right through a red light while distracted on my cell phone. Pure dumb luck I didn't kill someone.

One of my friends was killed two years ago on his motorcycle because of a driver distracted and talking on the phone.

Just because you think you can doesn't mean many other people can safely talk on a phone while driving.

I have voice mail and call people back after I pull over.

there are exceptions IMO where talking on a phone while driving  is worth the risk....like reporting an obviously drunk driver or some road rager for instance.
Don Steese
So much for live free or die.

probably trying to curb the live free and kill others by accident.

It seems smart phone usage has hit the #1 spot for accident creation.

That's the problem with people, not putting blame where it belongs and not calling a spade a spade.  

Its not an accident so don't treat it like one.  It is criminally negligent to smash into someone while talking on the phone so charge them with criminal negligence.  We don't need another law.  We shouldn't be legislating to the lowest common denominator.  There should be no ticket for talking and driving.  There should be enforcement of laws we already have and jail time for talking and smashing into someone.

I can talk on the phone and drive.  If you can't, and evidence it by smashing into someone, then you go to jail.  The next guy sees that and thinks twice.

If you know that talking/texting/facebooking/UJ posting while driving increases the risk of you hurting someone and you do it anyway, then you should be prepared to pay the price.

I tend to agree with this, as I'm not big on laws designed to prevent bad things from happening, but where do we draw the line? Do we allow drunk people to drive until they kill someone and then prosecute them for murder?? The argument being some people can drive safely after a few drinks, some others can't.  I tend to think yes, but I've never had a family member or loved one killed by a drunk driver. Like most other issues we face, it's complicated, but I tend to think one must pay a price for living in a free society, and part of that price is giving up some illusion of safety.

Having said all that, I'd love to see some of the twits I see yakking on their cell phones get pulled over by a cop!   :D

Bobman, its about personal responsibility.  It sounds like you know your limits and behave accordingly.  So do since I've never been in a real accident even after 26 years of driving.  That is the way people should behave.  Did we need new laws in order to start behaving responsibly?  No, we did it because we're not stupid and reckless.  So if we are worried about the stupid and reckless, lets punish them when they behave stupidly and recklessly instead of letting them off the hook by saying "oh it was an unfortunate accident".  Its not an accident, you drove too fast and or too close to the car in front of you and started texting.  Now pay the piper.

I think driving and talking on the phone should be part of the drivers test. If you can't do it you either get a restriction on your license or, preferably, you don't get to drive at all because you are handicapped.  

Seriously folks, if you can't handle a quick chat on the phone and still drive safe, you don't have a chance in hell of handling an emergency situation like a kid or animal running out in front of you or the car in front of you stopping short, so please start riding a bike and leave your car in the driveway.  And you should definitely consider wearing a helmet and or getting one of those big three wheeled trikes.

I'm pretty convinced some people can't safely drive with any distractions.

You're all safe from me though, I hate talking on the phone.

Just barely do it stopped, never mind in a car.

Now put cell phones together with the people who think every drive is a Nascar race and they are going for the win, get in front even if they only have a quarter mile to go.