A FYI CYA in NH

Bullwinkle

Just hang up and driving is not a right or you wouldn't need to pass a driving test. While are at it..

Hang up and turn it of when dining others really don't care to hear you.

Hang up and turn it off at the movies or a concert.

Hang up when in the checkout line anywhere.

Don't use your phone in public restrooms.

You don't need to yell into the newer phones or do you need to use the speaker function in public.

The list goes on but you get the idea.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• MAArcher

• Dogwood

• WPG Gizmo

• Don Steese

No one is telling you that you can not use your phone to make a call PROVIDED that you use BLUETOOTH or pull off the road.  What the law says is that you can not have ANY ELECTRONIC DEVICE in your hand.  

If you dont want to use a bluetooth device you can use the phones speaker function if it has one you just can not have it in your hand.

Last week before the 1st I would see 50% of the drivers yakking on the phone while directing traffic today it was less then 10% so clearly the word is out and folks are taking heed.

If you are unhappy about the law you can always get a ticket and then appear before a judge to argue your points about the law and how it did not take into account that you are a better driver then most folks.

You have a choice you can obey the law or disobey the law the choice is completely up to you and so are the consequences.

...... one must pay a price for living in a free society, and part of that price is giving up some illusion of safety.

So good to know that someone "gets it".   This one simple sentence is the very core of what it is to "be American".  I believe there was a time when most of the people living within the countries boundaries held this belief and were true Americans.  Sadly, true Americans are now a dwindling minority, overrun by the lemmings rushing toward the cliffs edge were freedom ends and oppression begins.

I make my living working along roads and hope every state follows NH!  I understand some of the arguments against it but it will be a good law when looking at the big picture.  Even if it only saves a couple lives it will be worth the effort.  Expecially if one of those lives is someone close to you!!

The thread is a good heads up about the new law because like it or not, it is the law.

That being said, I don't like it. Ranks right up there with seat belt laws, helmet laws, blaze orange laws and the like. But that's just me, one of the last of a dying breed of, born & bred "Live Free of Die" guys.

...... one must pay a price for living in a free society, and part of that price is giving up some illusion of safety.

So good to know that someone "gets it".   This one simple sentence is the very core of what it is to "be American".  I believe there was a time when most of the people living within the countries boundaries held this belief and were true Americans.  Sadly, true Americans are now a dwindling minority, overrun by the lemmings rushing toward the cliffs edge were freedom ends and oppression begins.

What it means to "be an American" should mean having an honest discourse over various informed opinions without accusations of being "lemmings" running towards the "cliffs" of "oppression".  And because your opinion is different you don't "get it".  Now that's oppressive.

What it means to "be an American" should mean having an honest discourse over various informed opinions without accusations of being "lemmings" running towards the "cliffs" of "oppression".  And because your opinion is different you don't "get it".  Now that's oppressive.

That's just silly.  How can you call simply voicing a contrary opinion oppressive?  Now pointing a gun at me and telling me I can't talk on the phone, that much better fits the definition of oppressive.

Pointing a gun is a threat.  

Criticizing others for their opinions is what grates me; feel free to disagree but don't denigrate them.

Or in the immortal words of Archie Bunker, "Whatever".

Enough already.  I've already missed too much of my beloved Rush Limbaugh.  Besides big daddy is gonna nuke this anyway.  I know I would.

Dogwood, I'm not trying to be offensive.  Just point out a real problem with the country, at least if you subscribe to traditional American values, especially that of individual responsibility.  

Denigrate means my comments were unfair.  I don't see how you can construe what I've said as unfair.  My referring to people who go along with the status quo despite the likelihood of a fateful end, as lemmings, is a rather reserved epithet for people who would haphazardly, and ultimately with force, degrade my liberties.  

And there's nothing wrong with criticizing someone for their opinions; especially if their opinion is that its OK for them to ruin a country and force their fellow citizens to go along with it at gun point (which is what you do when you make a law, which is all to often taken lightly).

The cell phone thing at face value appears innocuous by itself, but it is in fact insidious.  Death by a Thousand Cuts.

Probably not a discussion that really lends itself to an internet discussion.  Too much lost to misunderstanding.
Rhode Island

The 10th Amendment of the Bill of Rights empowers the states and the people to regulate themselves, so long as those regulations don't infringe other fundamental rights granted by the Constitution to all U.S. citizens.  There is no constitutional right to drive and there is no constitutional right to do whatever the hell you want regardless of its potential to impact other citizens.  So this law is by my estimation entirely consistent with the ideals for American government set forth by the founding fathers.

Furthermore, lets not forget that the "traditional values" of American Liberty only applied if you were a white man.  As a whole I would say the average American enjoys more personal freedom and liberty today than did the average American of 1787, by a long shot.

RI

The 10th Amendment of the Bill of Rights empowers the states and the people to regulate themselves, so long as those regulations don't infringe other fundamental rights granted by the Constitution to all U.S. citizens.  There is no constitutional right to drive and there is no constitutional right to do whatever the hell you want regardless of its potential to impact other citizens.  So this law is by my estimation entirely consistent with the ideals for American government set forth by the founding fathers.

Furthermore, lets not forget that the "traditional values" of American Liberty only applied if you were a white man.  As a whole I would say the average American enjoys more personal freedom and liberty today than did the average American of 1787, by a long shot.

RI

There's plenty of history showing the "Bill of Rights" are by no means our only rights.  There's no constitutional right for you to eat and breath, but do you think you are entitled?  

But if you'd like to relate it to the Bill of Rights, given the intent of "freedom of speech", do you think there's a difference between what could be accomplished by standing on a soap box in 1791 and today?  By limiting communication by cell phone its not a big leap to call that a limitation on freedom of speech.  You may argue its the equivalent of yelling "fire" in a crowded theater, but that's a different discussion.

And what you describe as "doing whatever the hell you want" is very close to what I describe as "pursuit of happiness", which I do have an acknowledged constitutional right to.  

"Potential to impact other citizens" is subjective and I've already told you that the evidence of 28 years behind the wheel of an automobile, many of them with a phone in my hand beginning over 15 years ago, shows I'm capable of driving and talking, as are the majority of people.  There isn't anything in your argument that lends itself to arguing the founding fathers would approve of government regulating the minutia of life.

More freedom?  How do you come to that conclusion?  It certainly wasn't by the shear volume of restriction (laws) on the books today as compared to 1787.  When's the last time you heard of the repeal of a law?  How many have been instituted for every one taken off the books?  Was there a bloated and broken revenue spewing machine forcing people to pay exorbitant fees for a "license" to drive their wagon down the street in 1787?  Has the government ever been so involved in simply moving from point a to point b as it is today?  By a long shot?  I can't even imagine how you figure.

Are you seriously proposing that the ideals our country were founded on are invalid because they didn't originally include black people?  I hope not, because that's just disgusting.

Rhode Island

I said what I meant. What you chose to read into is your prerogative I suppose. But you forgot about women, too. Well better than half the U.S. citizenry had essentially no rights when this country was started, so I don't think its unfair to say the situation has improved as a whole, at least as far as personal freedoms of the average American goes.

Once again, I refer you to the 10th Amendment.

RI

Why not pass a distracted driving law instead of just targeting talking and texting on a phone? What about the burger and Sub sandwich eaters or the women putting on make up (I saw a woman actually change lanes on I-285 in Atlanta with her knee once while brushing her hair with both hands), or the parents that are  turned around tending their small children in car seats while the car is moving, and last but not least, the newspaper and novel readers?

If states are truly serious about making driving safer and not just to use these laws as another way to collect revenue, then how could you not target other distracting activities while driving as well? An electronic device leaves a trail and that is easier for the government to prove its case I guess.

I have had several close calls with idiots on phones in the past, but I have also had close calls with people that were just distracted doing other stuff. I have a friend that was seriously injured in an accident caused by a guy fumbling with his radio.

Made me remember the Crapco Burger

Phone commercial that Rush Limbaugh used to play on his show when New York banned talking on cell phones.

Just hang up and driving is not a right or you wouldn't need to pass a driving test. While are at it..

Hang up and turn it of when dining others really don't care to hear you.

Hang up and turn it off at the movies or a concert.

Hang up when in the checkout line anywhere.

Don't use your phone in public restrooms.

You don't need to yell into the newer phones or do you need to use the speaker function in public.

The list goes on but you get the idea.

Yep

If talking on the phone is more important to you than the safety of others, you deserve to walk.