A FYI CYA in NH

Everything we do in this life is about choice and that means everything from what time you wake to what you have for breakfast to how you live your day.  You have total control over what you choose to do no one else has that option just you.  You can choose to kiss your wife goodbye in the morning or you can just leave your choice.

Just as you can choose to obey the law or you can choose to break the law totally up to you but with choice come consequence.  Your choice to not kiss your wife this morning had consequences maybe she wants you to do that everyday and today you didnt.  She feels something is amiss or she gets mad at you these are the consequences of your actions.

Your riding in the car with your kids you know that there is a hands free law but your choice is to break the law by doing what you want which is use your phone no one will see you do it right.  Your kids know about the law, you talk about it and they over hear you doing it. They know that it is wrong to break the law because that is what you teach them but yet here you are doing just that in front of them so the consequences of this action is your kids learn that if dad can break the law so can I.

Freedom of choice is something we all have the same as living with the consequences of your choices.  What you choose to do right or wrong is your choice and yours alone.  No one is perfect we all make wrong choices and we all live with the consequences of our choices.

I will tell you this one of my coworkers has already been hit this year by a car that was driven by someone not paying attention.  He suffered a bruise to his arm and he was lucky,  the driver was not cited for hitting him by the local police as he said he never saw him.  Your inconvenienced because you want to talk on your phone, sorry to bad, get over it, put it down, pay attention to driving your car, because next time it may not be a bruise.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• MAArcher

• Dogwood

• WPG Gizmo

• Don Steese

Everything we do in this life is about choice and that means everything from what time you wake to what you have for breakfast to how you live your day.  You have total control over what you choose to do no one else has that option just you.  You can choose to kiss your wife goodbye in the morning or you can just leave your choice.

Just as you can choose to obey the law or you can choose to break the law totally up to you but with choice come consequence.  Your choice to not kiss your wife this morning had consequences maybe she wants you to do that everyday and today you didnt.  She feels something is amiss or she gets mad at you these are the consequences of your actions.

Your riding in the car with your kids you know that there is a hands free law but your choice is to break the law by doing what you want which is use your phone no one will see you do it right.  Your kids know about the law, you talk about it and they over hear you doing it. They know that it is wrong to break the law because that is what you teach them but yet here you are doing just that in front of them so the consequences of this action is your kids learn that if dad can break the law so can I.

Freedom of choice is something we all have the same as living with the consequences of your choices.  What you choose to do right or wrong is your choice and yours alone.  No one is perfect we all make wrong choices and we all live with the consequences of our choices.

I will tell you this one of my coworkers has already been hit this year by a car that was driven by someone not paying attention.  He suffered a bruise to his arm and he was lucky,  the driver was not cited for hitting him by the local police as he said he never saw him.  Your inconvenienced because you want to talk on your phone, sorry to bad, get over it, put it down, pay attention to driving your car, because next time it may not be a bruise.

It’s not about obeying or not obeying the law, it’s about the effectiveness of the law.  One can be just as distracted just as much with smoking a cigarette, especially if the hot ash goes down your shirt.   :oops:

To your example,

A young married couple on a motorcycle were stopped and waiting to turn left on a 2 lane road.  A truck behind them did not see them and pushed them in to oncoming traffic.   The husband was ran over by the oncoming car, instant death, the wife was thrown in to a ditch and she is in a coma brain dead.  They had 2 young boys at home.  The truck driver was not speeding, impaired was not tired or distracted.  He just did not see the bike.   No law would have prevented this from happening.  

When we drive there is a risk that comes with this activity.  

Barna

But in the example of my coworker he was standing on the side of the road with traffic stopped due to a lane closure in his lane.  The vehicle that hit him was the first one in the line of stopped cars, when the single lane was opened to his traffic after all the oncoming traffic had passed and he flagged the cars into the open lane the driver hit him then kept going.  The drivers distraction was he was stopped and not happy about it.

But regardless of what you feel the effectiveness any the law is,  it is not your choice to decide what is or is not effective.  The law is the law we live in a country of rules like them or not  if you feel it is not effective you have the option to protest it in court.  

If we each could decide what we feel is effective or not then no law would be effective.

There is risk in living

Gary, I'm not sure why these types of discussions go right over your head.  Of course there's choices and consequences, no one's saying otherwise.  (Unless you look at it from the perspective that people who cause "accidents" aren't paying the correct consequences.  They are not being prosecuted as criminals and instead I'm paying for their mistakes through insurance premiums.)

The point I'm trying to make is that the ignorant and uninformed have taken it upon themselves to make my choice for me and are forcing me to comply at the point of a gun.  That is a disturbingly un-American trend.

I "choose" to use my phone when I feel its safe and not to when I don't think it is.  To be honest, I rarely talk on the phone and this law will hardly affect me.  But that doesn't make it right.

So much for live free or die.

Well I guess we know what's going to be brought up at the NH sovereign citizen's meeting....or the "free Keene" rally.

Get a bluetooth, build your own highway to drive on, or fly a plane to get where you're going.

I'm sorry for the wronged and stupid, but it doesn't mean u get to infringe my rights.   Give up liberty for security and u deserve neither.

It doesn't help the poor sob.  But by that logic we should all surrender our guns and drivers licenses and live locked in our homes.

Amen.

You want to Drive and Talk while holding your phone, great.  

Just don't drive and talk in New Hampshire, or anyof the 30 odd other states that have laws against this as well.

Certainly "distracted driving" encompasses much more than talking on or using a cell phone in o es hand, but the increased amounts of distracted driving due to cell or smart phone use may well be prevented if 80-90% of the "Lemmings" follow the new law.

Then thecNH State Patrol will have more time to catch those freedom loving Cell Phone Holders!

I love it when Amurricans have "serious" discussions!

Back to the topic at hand, please tell me where does your "right" to do as you wish in the confines of your car begin and my "right" to further enjoy life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness end?

Back to the topic at hand, please tell me where does your "right" to do as you wish in the confines of your car begin and my "right" to further enjoy life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness end?

THAT, my friend, is the million dollar question!!

Carry the libertarian idea to the extreme and you'd have no stop signs or red lights, no jay walking laws, machine guns in gun cabinets, etc. etc.

Carry it to the other extreme and you'll have cameras everywhere watching everything you, and very little personal freedom. You may be a bit safer, but is it worth the price in personal freedom?

Smarter people than I will have to wrestle with these questions.

Well that would be when the greater good of many outweighs the inconvenience to a relative minority.  I'm thinkin'.

Can't fondle my cell phone while driving 'cuz it might save a few lives.  How dare you infringe on my rights.

Boo who.

Rhode Island

THAT, my friend, is the million dollar question!!

Carry the libertarian idea to the extreme and you'd have no stop signs or red lights, no jay walking laws, machine guns in gun cabinets, etc. etc.

Carry it to the other extreme and you'll have cameras everywhere watching everything you, and very little personal freedom. You may be a bit safer, but is it worth the price in personal freedom?

Smarter people than I will have to wrestle with these questions.

Ah, but this is precisely why the 10th Amendment exists.  It grants the individual states, and the people, the sovereignty to strike that balance for themselves.

Regardless of whether this law is effective or not, it's as American as apple pie  :unclesam:  

RI

Do Kanuckians have any similar restrictions to cell phone use while driving? And is there an equivalent in the Constitution of Canada to the US Declaration of a independence where it references life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness? Just curious.

Transportation is, in the main, under provincial jurisdiction, and there are instances where cities and towns may have regulations that supersede provincial laws.

Our constitution and bill of rights is very similar to those of other free, democratic countries.

individual states, and the people

Regardless of whether this law is effective or not, it's as American as apple pie  :unclesam:  

These are the ones I was talking about who are smarter than I!!  

and whoever decided apple pie should be the bakery shop symbol of America?  I personally prefer coconut cream...or cheesecake!!  Let's take a vote!!!  :D