Black Powder hunting

I love black powder hunting and shooting. All of my guns have been traditional style though the odd time I get an itch to get an in-line. My go to gun is a .54 cal TC Hawken shooting patched round balls though I have experimented with conicals over the years.

013.jpg

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• popplecop

• WPG Gizmo

• Virgil Kane

• ruffneck

I'm a flintlock hunter, anyone else.  My rifle is a copy of a Henry Trade Rifle, 50 cal.  Lock is a L&R that has been tuned and a roller added to the frizzen  Will admit open sights getting to be a challenge to my old eyes. My back up is TC New Englander 50 cal. with a peep and a fiber optic front.
I shoot 100 grains of Blackhorn 209 with a 245 gr. Powerbelt Aerotip.

Have you ever shot a big game animal with that setup?  I love Powerbelts ease of loading and target accuracy, but I shot a bear with one and it completly disintegrated hitting nothing more than a rib bone on the way in.  It broke into a numerous tiny pieces and the biggest piece retained about 1/10th of it' original weight and never penetrated the offside.  I found it just under the skin. The bear went 15 yards and never left a spec of blood.  I was fortunate to have made a good shot.  After that experience I went online and found lots of other folks talking about similar experiences using powerbelts.  Their softness makes them easy to load, but stinks for terminal performance.  I went to a Barnes tipped MZ after that.  They load and shoot as well as the Powerbelts, but have a much better terminal performance.

Regular power belts have a bad rep which is deserved the Platinum ones on the other hand are very good bullets.
I shoot Barnes in all of my guns.

X 2. I've taken 4 bears in Canada with my CVA Apex. Barnes solid copper is all I every use with a 100 grains of Blackhorn. Very happy with this setup.

Darn, guess I'm really old, still have a can of DuPont and of course GEOX.  Still shoot round balls with linen patches too.  Combination in my flinter kills deer and that is what I look for.  Too darn old to switch to these new fangled ml guns, although I see a new TC that is kind of nice looking.

I'm a flintlock hunter, anyone else.  My rifle is a copy of a Henry Trade Rifle, 50 cal.  Lock is a L&R that has been tuned and a roller added to the frizzen  Will admit open sights getting to be a challenge to my old eyes. My back up is TC New Englander 50 cal. with a peep and a fiber optic front.

Yes I hunt flintlock. I have a Lyman Great Plains in left hand. 50 cal. Havnt had a thing done to the lock yet. I should look into it tho. Not happy at times with the way it fires ( or doesn't fire ). Our season is after Christmas and usually snow. I've found the colder the better. No moisture in the air helps. I use pyrodex and maxi balls , or pa conical. I've killed several deer with different loads and lead. Settled in on 90 gr. Powder and 245 grain lead.

I've found I get better ignition using 2F blackpowder and 4F in the pan than I did with Pyrodex.  At least that is what works the best in my rifles.

I enjoy shooting my ML. I have a cheapo inline TC with iron sights that really spits them out, and groups really nicely at 100 yards.

Sadly I have yet to kill a deer with it. Not for lack of trying, it just seems that deer never come by at the right time, or I do something stupid. Hopefully this year.

Every year a bunch of us from the rugby club spend a couple of days orchestrating what we call "th black powder push", doing a series of drives on a friends land. We see deer, often on the run, but every year a couple of deer do get dragged out.

I've found I get better ignition using 2F blackpowder and 4F in the pan than I did with Pyrodex.  At least that is what works the best in my rifles.

Agreed. I get lots of hangfires with BP substitutes in all my flinters and percussion guns.

Get some real BP and your ignition problems should be solved. I thought I also remember that some TC flinters had soft frizzens but a google search will help you out with that if yours is soft.

Virgil

I have been bitten by the flintlock bug and have acquired three in the past three years.  Modern custom guns that are period-correct 18th Century guns.  Two smoothbores, a French fusil de chasse and an English trade gun patterned after one made by London gun maker Richard Wilson.  Both are 20 ga and shoot well with roundball or shot.  I plan to try wingshooting and turkey hunting with these this fall.  This summer I got a beautiful .58 cal Virginia-style longrifle stocked in cherry.  It's accurate and I can't wait to try to take a deer with it this season.  

I have always hunted deer with revolver and bow or crossbow, so the flintlock doesn't seem as big a handicap to me as to some guys.  All mine are much more reliable and have much faster lock times than most people expect.  Since going REALLY traditional, I have no interest in my inline.  There's something very cool about using the 300+ year old technology that my forefathers used when the areas I hunt in the Appalachian foothills were the frontier.

Aw trade guns, had a 12 and a 20.  Actually took a grouse with the 12 and deer with the 20.   Sadly both went down the drain in gun trades.  Would love to the 20 back.  That was 30+ years ago.   Son has a 20 that I bought for him in  84 he sold it but managed to get it back.  You have 2 fine flinters.
I use Powerbelts to load in the woods after I take a shot because they load easy. For a 100 yard shot they are adequate.
I enjoy muzzleloading a lot as the season is timed to very pleasant fall temps. I also enjoy traditional style rifles w patched round balls . I often tell new hunters on a budget that their first deer rifle s/b a muzzle loader as they can use it for both the ML season as well as the regular gun season  and frankly until just a few years ago I never killed a deer that would have been out of range of my ML.