REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
Greg Hartman

Single Malt For Dummies

Greg Hartman

I found a bottle of 10 year old Glenmorangie on sale at our local State Store (In PA, the *&%# gubermint controls all liquor sales through its own stores and selection is usually very limited).  It was probably on sale because none of the customers knew what it was - I didn't either.   Being a sucker for a bargain, I gave it a try.  I find that I like it – a small shot glass worth, sipped very slowly at room temperature is a real treat.

I’m no kind of drinker in terms of either knowledge or quantity; and I am a PA Dutch phez/meat hunter (read: beer or bourbon), not a sophisticated, tweedy New England ruffed grouse aficionado (for whom enormous single malt expertise is required), but Chase, Joy and I do chase ruffs when we can’t be hunting the King, so I guess some small understanding of the single malt world couldn’t hurt us any.  It still won’t make me tweedy and all that, but maybe I’ll try to wear jeans now and then that don’t have as many holes and aren’t quite as manure caked and baggy.

Please keep it simple and use small words because we phez hunters get confused easily and the State Sores, er... Stores, have only a few choices.

Thanks in advance.

PS - this is what it looks like when a phez hunter goes after grouse.  We are very tall and step over those birch and aspen whips instead of through them.

10-23-15%20-%20Shadow%20and%20Joy_zpsaqh

Cooter Brown

Brace yourself, Greg.

The single malt world is far more complicated and full of nonsense than the pheasant load/pointer v. flusher/boots/Alpha/beeper/bell/force fetch subjects COMBINED.

Are you playing a fiddle in that picture?

Rex Hoppie
Single malt for dummies might be Hurricane in 40 ounce bottles.

B J Smith
I found a bottle of 10 year old Glenmorangie on sale at our local State Store (In PA, the *&%# gubermint controls all liquor sales through its own stores and selection is usually very limited).  It was probably on sale because none of the customers knew what it was - I didn't either.   Being a sucker for a bargain, I gave it a try.  I find that I like it – a small shot glass worth, sipped very slowly at room temperature is a real treat.

Good stuff for sure! Sipping it "neat" or with a splash of mineral water (if your a true conisore  :D ) is the way to go.

The wee bit of water supposed to do something to the hootch to make it more drinkable.

Uplandish
This dummy will be keeping his eye on this thread.

Greg Hartman

Uh.. no.  That would be a shotgun over my shoulder.  This isn't Deliverance, ya know.

Doubleplay
Enjoy. It's one of the oldest Highlands distilleries. Next time try some Islay distillery also. It's an acquired taste but sure beats bourbon in any given day.

john mcg

Glenmorangie is one of my favorites and what will be sipped this evening with tired dogs next to the wood stove while contemplating recipes for woodcock.

The only New England tradition I have is the fortune to have a couple of bird dogs.

Remo

Uh.. no.  That would be a shotgun over my shoulder.  This isn't Deliverance, ya know.

Sometimes I'm not so sure.

cockerman

Hey gang,

Been awhile....

At any rate my favorite single malt is put forth by by Bunnahabhain.

Various ages out there but good across the board.

Hope all are cutting feathers...

Jim

Greg Hartman

Sometimes I'm not so sure.

Watch it, buster..

Dogwood

Glenmorangie is a good scotch for folks who don't like scotch.  Light, very little, is any, peat (read smoke flavor).  A step up in flavor would be Balvenie.  Fun to try something really peaty like Bowmore for kicks.

You might find you like blends just as much as single malts.  Famous Grouse is decent with enough peat to make it good.

While your at it try some Irish whiskeys; very clean, smooth, and light. Bushmills 10 year old is great and I think about 30 bucks.

phonefly

Scotch whisky has priced itself out of my realm. Folks still bestow it on me, but I have moved on to Irish whiskey.  Notice the Irish know how to spell it as well.

So many folks walk in and see Glenfiddich and its packaging and it ends up at my house.  I'd rather have kerosene.  I re-gift it or put it out at the club for the barflys.

Every now and then I get a keeper.

Greg Hartman

Thanks for the input.  I'd like to try something "really peaty" because I don't know what that means, so I'll look for Bowmore at the State Sore next time.  If I can't find that (likely), I'll look for Islay or Balvenie.  They may not have any of those either - we'll see.

Any other suggestions?

Yeah, the stuff is expensive, but with the tiny quantities I drink, a bottle will last me a long time - so cost isn't that critical.

I noticed that the single malt scotches are all aged X-number of years.  The older stuff is more costly, logically enough.  Does the age of the booze make a real difference and is it worth the extra bux?