REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
Greg Hartman

Single Malt For Dummies

Cooter Brown

Unfortunately the Scotch weenie "I can taste ten notes in this" crowd has infiltrated the Bourbon thing.

It doesn't change the whiskey but it raises prices and it's just plain annoying.

I wish this wasn't truth.

Then rise up and rebel!! Try a bottle of Evan Williams.  Cheap.  Great stuff IMO.  Kentucky's oldest bourbon distillery I believe.

I think we should all conduct our own blind taste tests and really sort out the bullsh*t!  Might be fun at bird camp or one of them there UJ get togethers.

Ha! Funny, thats my current budget bourbon. It was even better when it was aged 8 years, They have all gone that way it seems, No Age Statements (NAS) Wild turkey 8 yr, WL Weller 7yr, Antique Weller 7 yr, Old Charter 8 yr (10 yr vanished altogther), recent label changes on Jim Beam Black that went from 8 yr, to double aged to aged, Elijah Craig 12yr. All gone in the last decade. Turkey maybe longer ago, 15 years I think, easy to research when just look for when Russels Reserve 10 yr came out and back up 2 years.

For singlemalt I like eating peat, laphroiag, occasionally I will sip a Balvenie Double Wood. Greg, if you genuinely like the Balvenie DW you may like a bourbon or two, it is a crossover point in my opinion. If a bourbon drinker asks what scotch he might like I suggest the Double Wood.

EW is my go to as well.

The EW 1783 a little more expensive but very good, and a buddy had some small batch EW up north this year which was reasonably priced and very tasty.

SEPAlander

Then rise up and rebel!! Try a bottle of Evan Williams.  Cheap.  Great stuff IMO.  Kentucky's oldest bourbon distillery I believe.

The EW single barrel is one of the best values out there IMO.  With that said, I like all kinds of brown liquors, why discriminate?

GB Jack
I prefer the blends, on the cheaper end dewars 12 year has a fantastic taste and finish. On the high end, I can't beat a Johnny walker blue

Greg Hartman
This has gotten too complicated for a mere pheasant hunter to understand.   :down:

john mcg
IMG_2819_zpsofjznxvb.jpg

casts_by_fly

Greg,

I'm a bit late to the party here but I'll throw in my two pence being the UJ'er that is probably the nearest to an actual scotch distillery.

Like others have said, find something you like, try something similar to it, and keep going.  If you like Glenmorangie and Balvenie doublewood, then you're looking for smooth, clean flavored scotch with a little bit of peat, some spice, and (maybe) not any sherry.  That's a pretty basic set of attributes for a lot of scotches.  My suggestion would be to find a place locally that has a few behind the bar and try them out.  Absent that you're looking at blind buying a few.  With that in mind, my own reccos would be (based on what the state store carries of that you can have them order in for you):

Glenmorangie nectar d'or- like the original orange label, but a lot more character, a little more honeyed and sweeter, but not over the top

Glengoyne 10- no peat, but lots of grain and wood flavors

Highland park 18- a little more peat than Balvenie, but still clean and really nice

Ablerlour 12- a good intro to sherry for a Balvenie drinker

All of the above should be on the shelf at a normal to large PA state store and certainly the superstores will have them.  Stay away from Islay or Islands based scotch for now, at least buying blind.  Too much peat for a lot of people and very polarizing.  Highlands, lowlands, and some speyside will be your game.

thanks,

rick

Laminarman
Greg,

I'm a bit late to the party here but I'll throw in my two pence being the UJ'er that is probably the nearest to an actual scotch distillery.

Like others have said, find something you like, try something similar to it, and keep going.  If you like Glenmorangie and Balvenie doublewood, then you're looking for smooth, clean flavored scotch with a little bit of peat, some spice, and (maybe) not any sherry.  That's a pretty basic set of attributes for a lot of scotches.  My suggestion would be to find a place locally that has a few behind the bar and try them out.  Absent that you're looking at blind buying a few.  With that in mind, my own reccos would be (based on what the state store carries of that you can have them order in for you):

Glenmorangie nectar d'or- like the original orange label, but a lot more character, a little more honeyed and sweeter, but not over the top

Glengoyne 10- no peat, but lots of grain and wood flavors

Highland park 18- a little more peat than Balvenie, but still clean and really nice

Ablerlour 12- a good intro to sherry for a Balvenie drinker

All of the above should be on the shelf at a normal to large PA state store and certainly the superstores will have them.  Stay away from Islay or Islands based scotch for now, at least buying blind.  Too much peat for a lot of people and very polarizing.  Highlands, lowlands, and some speyside will be your game.

thanks,

rick

Highland Park 18 has to be my favorite at the moment.  Also love Lagavulin when the snow flies and fire is lit.

casts_by_fly

HP18 is excellent and one of the three best scotches I've ever had.  Not cheap and not getting any less expensive either.  It isn't one I would recommend to beginners though.  It is very subtley complex for a new scotch drinker.  For someone not used to tasting scotch and digging into a glass, you can get nearly as much benefit from an HP12 or Balvenie doublewood.

rick

John

The Wisky you procured is a product of the Northern Highlands, and GlenMorangie is the best known of 5 distilaries in the region, and found by the sea.  

This Single Malt you have at 10 years aged has the Citrussy tang the North is known for and most distintive.  

Others in the Region

Balblair

Glen ord

Teaninich and another staple Dalmore

Others to try

my go to is Highland Park 12- smoth smokey

if you get into the Wiskey hobby Glenfiddich 21 is fantastic

as is Johnny Walker Blue king of the blends

Greg Hartman

To report back on an old meat hunter's progress so far in the world of classy single malt - when I went to the State Sore this week, I found a bottle of Laphroaig 10 year old.  I learned from you all that this is a peaty scotch and I wanted to try a peaty scotch, so I bought it.  

I've tried it a few times now (in fact am making another attempt as I type this), but I don't really like it - tastes like that nasty medicine you had to take when you had an upset stomach as a child.   I understand this this is an individual thing, like art, and it's an interesting quest; but I very clearly prefer the Balvenie 14 year old - a much crisper flavor.

bruski
This may be an answer. See if you can find an outlet that stocks the 200 ml bottles then pick and mix. See Photo001_zpswdmxuxs2.jpg

Laminarman
To report back on an old meat hunter's progress so far in the world of classy single malt - when I went to the State Sore this week, I found a bottle of Laphroaig 10 year old.  I learned from you all that this is a peaty scotch and I wanted to try a peaty scotch, so I bought it.  

I've tried it a few times now (in fact am making another attempt as I type this), but I don't really like it - tastes like that nasty medicine you had to take when you had an upset stomach as a child.   I understand this this is an individual thing, like art, and it's an interesting quest; but I very clearly prefer the Balvenie 14 year old - a much crisper flavor.

Blasphemy Greg.  Anyone on here who tells you to drink what you like is full of crap.  Just keep buying what we tell you.  After you drink enough you'll like it, trust me : )  

I find it like red wine- an acquired taste.  You hate it until you drink it enough then you can't drink crappy boxed light reds.  I find the peaty ones do better for most with a splash (or two) of ice cold water, then let it sit a bit, it will change in the glass.  After enjoying peaty ones, the lighter ones (to me) like Oban are not interesting anymore.  But then again I have a palate built for strong flavors which is probably why I like wild game.

ruffneck
The Dalmore is a tasty scotch.

John

Greg,

Bring just a boil, 1 1/2 c water and 1 1/2c lowfat milk

pour into slow cooker on low

add, 3 apples peeled cored and sliced

two TBS brown sugar

1/2 cup Laphroaig or ( favorite malt)

1 Cup steel cut oats

stir let cook on low for 7 or more hours

browndog
Are you playing a fiddle in that picture?

Uh.. no.  That would be a shotgun over my shoulder.  This isn't Deliverance, ya know.

Sometimes I'm not so sure.

another old retiree gets feisty !!