REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
Greg Hartman

Single Malt For Dummies

Greg Hartman

Here's where I have come out after my brief foray into the world of single malts.  I'm glad I did this because if an old phez/meat hunter is going to chase ruffed grouse on occasion with a double gun, he MUST have a little knowledge of single malts.  

BUT, I am too much of a plebian to become a convert.  Yeah, I like some of the single malts (The Balvinie 14 year double cask was my fav), but they cost $50-$75 a jug.  Even at my very low level of consumption, they are not that much "better" than the bourbon and other whiskies I can buy for $20 or so per bottle to be worth the extra cost.  I'm just not sophisticated enough and/or don't have sufficiently developed taste and/or am too ingrained PA Dutch cheap to be willing to pay that much more for something than may or may not actually be "better", nor do I care enough about any kind of booze to spend that kind of money on it.

So, this has been an interesting exercise and thanks for all your help in introducing me to this world, but I think I'm going back to my less than blue collar roots.

Dogwood

In that case Greg don't waste your time or money exploring vodkas.  Why folks find it so appealing is beyond me, particularly the high end makes at $40++.  For distilled un-aged ethanol and water no less.  I get it's use as a neutral spirit in mixed drinks but many folks drink it cold straight or on the rocks with a twist.

That must be one tasty twist.

Laminarman
FLAIRBALL, you have ruined me.  I picked up a bottle of the Ardberg Corryvreckan today (a gift to myself.)  Wow, you are correct, this is incredible stuff.  I find it peaty, piney, peppery, slightly salty with an explosive entrance and a finish that just keeps on going. Wow.  Thank you for the recommendation...I think.  It's not cheap but it's VERY good!

Chesepeakes_Man
Greg,

Bring just a boil, 1 1/2 c water and 1 1/2c lowfat milk

pour into slow cooker on low

add, 3 apples peeled cored and sliced

two TBS brown sugar

1/2 cup Laphroaig or ( favorite malt)

1 Cup steel cut oats

stir let cook on low for 7 or more hours

I love Scotch but I just dont drink much besides a glass or two of Melbec each evening for dinner. But I have to comment, this recipe sound amazing and am curious just what we are making here ? Either way I am going to try it for this xmas holidays.