Sign in to follow this  
Wildcat

I am so old, that I.....

BlueMtn

Kenji Shabuya, Mitsu Arakowa and Hay Stack Calhoun needed no introduction and Vern Gagne was wrestling at the University of Minnesota.

:-)

Gorilla Muldoon

How about Gorgeous George?

Birdcountry70
I remember kids at school teasing me about my dad's pickup because it was a crew cab and none of them had ever seen a truck with more than 2 doors.  It was a 68 dodge that had been a forest service truck.  I was just glad I didn't have to ride in the bed anymore, which was common back then.

walt lister
Kenji Shabuya, Mitsu Arakowa and Hay Stack Calhoun needed no introduction and Vern Gagne was wrestling at the University of Minnesota.

Gorilla Muldoon

I'm so old that I saw Gorgeous George wrestle at the Tulsa Coliseum, '49 or '50 I think. He wrestled either Wild Red Berry or Leroy McGurk (sp?). Lots of boos when his manservant went around the ring spraying perfume out of a big bug sprayer.

Hairy Clipper

Gorilla Muldoon

I'm so old that I saw Gorgeous George wrestle at the Tulsa Coliseum, '49 or '50 I think. He wrestled either Wild Red Berry or Leroy McGurk (sp?). Lots of boos when his manservant went around the ring spraying perfume out of a big bug sprayer.

My dad used to talk about Gorgeous George.  The visuals of the bug sprayer and the fog overtaking the audience is just too much. HAHAHA!

Virgil Kane

Talking about old . . . I don't think even Virgil was alive back then! :)

:laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:

You are correct !

irish Eyes

My wife remembers going to wrestling with her aunt. She was maybe 5 feet high and over 5 feet wide. She would shoot Gorgeous George with a water gun and he would carry on.

Don't know if Aunt Helen was part of the show or not.

Rex Hoppie

The first time I watched TV, we watched Gorgeous George.

The family had traveled to Omaha in the 46 Oldsmobile to visit a friend of my Dad.  The friend had the TV

That was my first time on a 4 lane road.

Joel S.

Entertaining thread.

I remember the Herter's catalog offered "The World's Finest" except for their "Better Model".

We got the whole week off from school for gun deer season in Wisconsin.

My Dad's hot lure was the Heddon River Runt Spook Floater.

Canoes came in aluminum or fiberglass take your pick.

Cars had carburetors.

When you bought a car you went to the junkyard and bought two extra wheel rims to put on snow tires. Retreads.

My apple computer had a whopping 128K memory if you installed the Super Serial card in the expansion slot.

When you registered for a college course they handed you a computer punch card.

After a college test they posted the grades outside the classroom door in a list identified by everyone's social security number.

We had Kool aide at home but when camping were treated to Holiday pop in a flat from the gas station. Needed a church key to open them.

Turning over the reels and threading the tape on Dad's reel to reel.

Snowmobiles had bogie wheels. Often you lost a few on the trail but kept on riding.

Virgil Kane

I put a "Mini Eight" 8 track tape player in my 1963 Nova SS.  I bought that Nova  used for $350 and there was nothing sporty about it other than bucket seats and an under powered 6 cylinder engine w/powerglide tranny. The 8 track made up for the COOL factor the car was lacking.   :blues:

Virgil

Joel S.

I put a "Mini Eight" 8 track tape player in my 1963 Nova SS.  I bought that Nova  used for $350 and there was nothing sporty about it other than bucket seats and an under powered 6 cylinder engine w/powerglide tranny. The 8 track made up for the COOL factor the car was lacking.

Virgil

I had a 1976 Nova SS i put an under the dash cassette player in. The car had a 305 V8 but they hamstring'ed it with a two-barrel carb and single exhaust.

One thing I forgot to mention, was my Dad waking me up for school telling me the Edmund Fitzgerald sank in Lake Superior during a terrific November storm. I had no idea what the Edmund Fitzgerald was.

Hairy Clipper
I put a "Mini Eight" 8 track tape player in my 1963 Nova SS.  I bought that Nova  used for $350 and there was nothing sporty about it other than bucket seats and an under powered 6 cylinder engine w/powerglide tranny. The 8 track made up for the COOL factor the car was lacking.

Virgil

I had a 1976 Nova SS i put an under the dash cassette player in. The car had a 305 V8 but they hamstring'ed it with a two-barrel carb and single exhaust.

One thing I forgot to mention, was my Dad waking me up for school telling me the Edmund Fitzgerald sank in Lake Superior during a terrific November storm. I had no idea what the Edmund Fitzgerald was.

Speaking of the Edmund Fitzgerald, the Mrs. mentioned she read something on the web that with advances in remote operated vehicles it has been determined that the cargo hold lids were not the cause of the sinking.  It is now believed to have broken in half.

She also mentioned that Gordon Lightfoot is contemplating changing the lyrics to his ballad.

I remember the storm going through Minnesota and dad remarking how low the atmospheric pressure was.  Later I read of a couple of automobiles being blown off the Mackinac Bridge with winds in excess of 100 mph!

provident
I well remember Mayor Fiorello Laguardia reading the Sunday morning funny papers during the strike in NYC, no television stations in Maine, writing a paper to support General MacArthur in the big Korean controversy with Pres Truman and going to a one room school when a sandwich at a function was 10 cents. I also remember the milk man, and the guy delivering coal down the chute into the basement (I can't quite remember if Santa had a full beard yet), and my folks buying ice.

jeff88

Gorilla Muldoon

Bruno Samartino -- he was our favorite between my brothers and me.  We hated the "Crusher".

Forbes field for baseball and to watch Roberto Clemente, Pitt Stadium to watch the stillerz -- tickets were always available, hockey was the PGH Hornets, every boy in my catholic grade school wanted to play football for Notre Dame...

...if your dad had beer in the house, it was iron city or Duquesne, miller if you were rich...

...nobody moved, the neighborhood was always the same families, same houses...

...foreign cars were a bit weird, Studebakers were around, only "tradesmen" or farmers drove trucks...

...food was pretty bland.

Every so often I listen to Sirius radio's 60's on 6 station -- am finally listening to the music as it was meant to be heard instead of on a tinny speaker from an AM radio.  Those Motown arrangements are pretty spectacular when heard on a decent car stereo.

Wildcat
...if your dad had beer in the house, it was iron city or Duquesne, miller if you were rich...

haha, I grew up in the south, and Miller was truly the champagne of beers back then, only rich folks drank it and 'imports' like Canadian beer.

steveziv

As a whole, this forum is so old that it universally condemns the idea of a 15 year old German party girl.  

Hey, I don't need that mess under my roof either, but I'll admit to being intrigued.