Sign in to follow this  
Wildcat

I am so old, that I.....

gonehuntin

Using calalogue pages for T.P. in Gramp's outhouse in Nova scotia.

Getting dressed in the morning around the kitchen stove because that was the only heat in the house.

Collecting booze bottles along the road in the horse and sleigh and turning them in at the general store for the deposit.

Good memories, but Walt wins.

Big Al
I also remember when passenger planes like TWA and Pan Am were prop jobs and not jets

And I remember riding in one of those prop planes on a vacation we took to Havana Cuba.

And we took one to Mexico City.

EB&Me
I used to pretend I was asleep in the morning, waiting for my sister to warm the seat in the out house. Also took baths in the kitchen in a galvonized tub, heated water on the stove. This was at my Grandparents in New Mexico.

EB&Me
Oh yea used to ride the school bus that Dad drove in Ill. He had his shotgun leaning up next to the driver seat. Then after the kids were dropped off we'd jump shoot ducks on the farm ponds on the way back to town.

UplandHntr
Oh yea used to ride the school bus that Dad drove in Ill.

I remember when states had a 3 letter abbreviation too!!

WAGinVA
Used the Sears Roebuck catalog pages for toilet paper in my grandparents outhouse, took baths in a washtub in the kitchen next to the wood stove, and the children could pee off the elevated back porch.   This was in Appalachia VA.  Chased coons after dark through the hollows and ridges with my grandfather and uncle.   When a hound treed they left me in the "wilderness' with a weak flashlight and I was scared to death.  Good times??

ssjetset
Got tear gassed in Milwaukee as a kid during the race riots, got the sh1t kicked out of me by a nun at my catholic elementary school and never said a word to my parents fearing a worse a$$ kicking, AH the good old days.      Bill

walt lister

Anyone else been taken "Snipe Hunting" by your older cousins and left out in a field at night with a candle and a burlap bag?  

Was told to put the candle on the ground in front of the bag and--- "be careful when the snipe runs at the candle and ends up in the bag wrap it up real quick because they can bite".

I was about seven--Dawson Oklahoma, 1945.

Dogwood

If I got locked out of the house I snuck in through the milk chute.

I had a paper route, delivered from my Schwinn, and had to do collections every week.

I always dialed a phone number with 2 letters first.

At family parties, everybody smoked, and all the men dressed like Archie Bunker.  Talked like him too, now that I think about it.

Brad Eden
...that state of the art animation and special effects were on Rudolph The Red Nose Reindeer movie...

Virgil Kane

...that state of the art animation and special effects were on Rudolph The Red Nose Reindeer movie...

And let's not forget Hardrock, Coco and Joe along with Suzy Snowflake.

For those to young to remember you will have to google it.

Virgil

max2

Using calalogue pages for T.P. in Gramp's outhouse in Nova scotia.

The original John Wayne toilet paper " ruff tough and don't take S*%#  from no one  :D

mshowman

My 7th grade math teacher showed the class a picture of a large room filled with some sort of machine. She told us it was a computer and that someday people would be able to carry on in their pocket. We got a good laugh out of that.

Classrooms always had an abacus hanging above the chalk board.

In high school and early college we were taught to use a slide rule.

topdog1961
I had a paper route, delivered from my Schwinn, and had to do collections every week.

I had a paper route also. One customer, a very pretty young newlywed, always answered the door early in the morning wearing nothing but a tiny nightie and a big smile. Other customers got their paper flung into their yard as I sped past on my bike. She got hers hand delivered every morning. She knew how to play the game.

Virgil Kane

I'm so old that when I went to public school there was a dress code. No blue jeans, no leather coats, boys hair couldn't touch the shirt collar or be over the ears. Boys had to where a belt if pants had belt loops and facial hair was not allowed,had to be clean shaven. Girls had to wear skirts with the length over their knee and were not allowed to wear slacks or blue jeans also no patent leather shoes for girls.

Any violations for the above rules and the student was sent to in school detention for the day, second violation was a 3 day suspension.

Virgil