REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
Wildcat

I am so old, that I.....

Oriongs

So, old I set bowling pins for .09 cents a line.  A double shift of mens bowling league netted 5.40 cents.  

Started at 7:00 usually ended at around 12:00.  Don't even ask what we got for lawn mowing, snow shoveling or doing a paper route.

Canuck

Hey O,

Pin setting was of of my favorite 'jobs" except during the Teen league when my friends knew I was setting. Then the pins would fly. You learned to be quick...for six cents a line in my case.

Canuck

Up North

I'm so old they hadn't invented vacations yet ( or at least we were not told about it ) .

We had a galvanized bathtub witch that got set up in the kitchen we heated water on the stove, and everyone used the same water.

It was a treat when we canned peaches, we got softer TP in the outhouse.

Casey Jones and the Little Rascals were the top kid shows.

Dogwood
Took typing class in high school.

Virgil Kane
I have a draft card.   Oo.gif

Rex Hoppie
Took typing class in high school.

I am glad I did.

The girls got the new typewriters, the boys got to use the old typewriters.

Wildcat
no patent leather shoes for girls.

Virgil

Hey Virgil, I went to catholic school as young child and I recall the nuns raising he!! with the girls that wore patent leather shoes. It wasn't until years later when reading a funny book about catholic school titled "Do black petent leather shoes really reflect up' that it all made sense to me  :devil:  :devil:

gonehuntin
Being paddled. My least favorite was a tough old cob with a two handled paddle with holes in the paddle. He could lift you right off the ground with that sucker. Used to make you bend over and touch your toes first.

Call Me Al
I had a draft card, a 1-A Classification and a lottery number of 265, my first car was a 1949 Plymouth!

Ben Hong
My family had milk delivered to the door by the milkman...

...I used to help deliver milk from a horse drawn sled in the winter in Northern Quebec...at -30F, 0 dark thirty.

I am so old the only mass medium we had was the radio. Amos 'n Andy, Jack Benny, The Lone Ranger,The Shadow,  Cisco Kid and Pancho, , etc. etc. We did alright!

Don Steese
I remember when the Dead Sea wasn't even sick!

jeff88

Licking and putting green stamps in little booklets for my mom because I liked how they tasted.

Watching Disney along with dozens of our neighbors when they bought a color TV.

Getting $1.50 an hour on my 1st timecard job and thinking I was rich.

Charging $3 to mow yards, $5 to shovel driveways and the walks.

Thinking chicken-in-a-basket was a gourmet meal.

Power steering, power brakes and a choke-less engines were things our cars didn't have but they did have three on a tree.

Steve Sutton

McDonalds actually had Golden Arches And the sign still hadn't reached "a million sold"

It was Preperation C  back then.   And WD 26

Steve

Grousehunter 12
I had a draft card, a 1-A Classification and a lottery number of 265, my first car was a 1949 Plymouth!

I had a 1-A classification draft card and sit huddled around our TV with 6 buddies watching the first draft lottery , 366 dates in the pot . One buddy drew #2 and joined navy next day . I waited hours to draw #356 , one of those " Don't call me , I will call you " numbers , best I remember any # less than about 170 that could walk & chew at the same time was on the short bus to Vietnam .

Ben Hong
I remember when the Dead Sea wasn't even sick!

:D  :D  :laugh:  :laugh: