I am so old, that I.....

I am so old the only mass medium we had was the The Shadow,

I remember The Shadow. Wasn't too long ago that he posted here!

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Brad Eden

• Hairy Clipper

• Rex Hoppie

• Virgil Kane

Hairy Clipper

So old that ...

Dad's Ford dealership got a 352 V-8 with two four barrel carburetors from the factory ... I pumped gas at dad's gas station @17.8 cents a gallon, washed windshields, checked oil and transmission fluid and tire pressure ... my first automobile was a 1935 Chevrolet Master DeLuxe with a radio antenna under the running boards, a turret top, knee action shocks, artillery wheels, suicide doors, mohair upholstery, a wood frame to hang the body metal on and a wrench to adjust the packing so the water pump wouldn't leak ... the phone number at the gas station was 52, home was 309 and our operator was not Sarah it was Betty ... old army jeeps had homemade snow plows on front in the winter ... Dad's shotgun was a Winchester Model 1912 that of he bought for $27.50 and it included a box high base shells ... all the bars had coon feeds on Saturday night ... George Leonard Herter was a household name to many sportsmen ... pheasant season opened at noon on opening day ... paper or plastic was not being asked at the grocery store or the ammo store ... side by side shotguns were common place in duck blinds with barrels marked FULL-FULL ... Roger Preuss painted the Duck Stamps ... Hank Aaron was on The American Sportsman and so was Sam Snead, Andy Griffith, Bing Crosby, Phil Harris and Bear Bryant ... Radio Mystery Theater was on the air from WCCO ... Harmon Killebrew hit home runs and was a really nice guy ... Canadian Industries Limited (C-I-L) shotgun shells were available at the Coast-to-Coast store ... when someone mentioned digital, your first thought was your urologists strategically placed finger ... Bud Grant played for the Minneapolis Lakers ... Elvis sang "church" music ... Corvettes had 6 cylinder engines ... my uncle was on Adak watching the radar for invading Russian Bombers ... chocolate bars were a nickel ... nickels had a bison on one side and Sitting Bull on the other ... Crazy Horse had been murdered 75 years earlier ... Native American were getting screwed by the Federal Government ... two cent coins were still seen occasionally ... two dollar Bills did not refer to a Clinton ... quarters were made from silver ... seeing a 50 cent piece was a daily occurrence ... pheasants were hunted with all your uncles, cousins, brothers, grandfathers, neighbors and friends making large drives through cornfields and were often referred to as Coxey's Army ...

I better stop now ... I am running out of things that I can remember ...

After the war, my Dad was on the list to get a new Buick at the dealership.  A 46 Oldsmobile came in when it was somehow his turn (don't know the details) and he took it.

A black 4 door sedan.  Later it showed up in The Godfather.

To this day, in my "minds-eye", I can see the scalding tubs and still get the smell of wet chicken feathers in my nose.

RH

So old that ...

Dad's Ford dealership got a 352 V-8 with two four barrel carburetors from the factory ... I pumped gas at dad's gas station @17.8 cents a gallon, washed windshields, checked oil and transmission fluid and tire pressure ... my first automobile was a 1935 Chevrolet Master DeLuxe with a radio antenna under the running boards, a turret top, knee action shocks, artillery wheels, suicide doors, mohair upholstery, a wood frame to hang the body metal on and a wrench to adjust the packing so the water pump wouldn't leak ... the phone number at the gas station was 52, home was 309 and our operator was not Sarah it was Betty ... old army jeeps had homemade snow plows on front in the winter ... Dad's shotgun was a Winchester Model 1912 that of he bought for $27.50 and it included a box high base shells ... all the bars had coon feeds on Saturday night ... George Leonard Herter was a household name to many sportsmen ... pheasant season opened at noon on opening day ... paper or plastic was not being asked at the grocery store or the ammo store ... side by side shotguns were common place in duck blinds with barrels marked FULL-FULL ... Roger Preuss painted the Duck Stamps ... Hank Aaron was on The American Sportsman and so was Sam Snead, Andy Griffith, Bing Crosby, Phil Harris and Bear Bryant ... Radio Mystery Theater was on the air from WCCO ... Harmon Killebrew hit home runs and was a really nice guy ... Canadian Industries Limited (C-I-L) shotgun shells were available at the Coast-to-Coast store ... when someone mentioned digital, your first thought was your urologists strategically placed finger ... Bud Grant played for the Minneapolis Lakers ... Elvis sang "church" music ... Corvettes had 6 cylinder engines ... my uncle was on Adak watching the radar for invading Russian Bombers ... chocolate bars were a nickel ... nickels had a bison on one side and Sitting Bull on the other ... Crazy Horse had been murdered 75 years earlier ... Native American were getting screwed by the Federal Government ... two cent coins were still seen occasionally ... two dollar Bills did not refer to a Clinton ... quarters were made from silver ... seeing a 50 cent piece was a daily occurrence ... pheasants were hunted with all your uncles, cousins, brothers, grandfathers, neighbors and friends making large drives through cornfields and were often referred to as Coxey's Army ...

I better stop now ... I am running out of things that I can remember ...

Excellent.

Draft card yup, father was at woods veterans hospital in Milw said there where veterans from the spanish american war at the old soldiers home there. 18 year old beer bars named Wylers and Marty Zivkos were the rage. Parents spoke Polish as much as they spoke english, we had an ash box at the alley and Pabst Blue Ribbon beer rulled Milwaukee.    Bill

I'm 56 and the Dee-Troit Lions have sucked my entire life with no end in sight.

Thank you Ford family!

So old that when I fill out a form online, and use the pull down menu for my birth year, I run out of screen.
So old that when I fill out a form online, and use the pull down menu for my birth year, I run out of screen.

:laugh: