• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Brad Eden

• Hairy Clipper

• Rex Hoppie

• Virgil Kane

--------- I once owned a '47 Studebaker, and it was only a few years old!

One of my chores was to empty the water from the ICEBOX before putting the new ice in it! Do I win?? :)

My first car was a '51 Kaiser.  We had a built-in ice box, but I only remember using the refrigerator.  There was at least one house on our block where they still used the ice box, and following the ice truck when it made a delivery resulted in cold, free treats in the summer.

The polite term for blacks was still "colored" back then, and our town had a Colored Elks Drum and Bugle Corps.  They were something to watch in a parade, half the colored population of the city trailing them down the street in a big snake dance.

And I clearly remember listening to The Lone Ranger, Sky King, Sergeant Preston, The Green Hornet and The Shadow on the radio before we had TV.  Inner Sanctum scared the crap out of me.

I remember when Gas was 25 cents and they pumped it checked your oil and washed your windows

I was the guy who did that, in high school and college.  The miniskirt era made windshield washing far more interesting.  Still have a couple scars on my right thumb where I cut it on the wiper when my attention was diverted.

"Gunsmoke" on the radio.  Good trivia question:  Who played Matt Dillon?  He later starred in at least one TV series, didn't look at all like James Arness.

I remember when Gas was 25 cents and they pumped it checked your oil and washed your windows

"Gunsmoke" on the radio.  Good trivia question:  Who played Matt Dillon?  He later starred in at least one TV series, didn't look at all like James Arness.

William Conrad.

Who suggested Arness for the role of Matt Dillon?

Bonus question: Who was Arness's brother?

I'm so old that I got my school bus driver's license when I was 16 and drove a bus as a substitute driver my junior year in high school and every school day my senior year.

I am so old I remember that most of us that thought hunting season was more important than football had hip boots, shotguns, shells and a couple of decoys in our lockers ... we built gun stocks in shop class ... one guy built a muzzle loading pistol from scratch, including the lock ... and the wrestling coach usually wanted to go along pheasant hunting with us kids.

I can remember walking through the village with our shotguns to go pheasant hunting and having the local police stop us to ask where there might be some good places for them to go hunting on their time off.

I was a big kid 6'5" 200lbs and would've been a good football lineman, but football interfered with hunting season so it never happened. After all you have to keep your priorities in order.

Steve

My first fishing reel was the original and venerable Mitchell 300. And I still have it and it still works.
My first fishing reel was the original and venerable Mitchell 300. And I still have it and it still works.

I have 2 of them, both dating back to 1965. I never saw the need for anything else. To be sure I had bigger tackle for incoming stripers but the 301 was as good as it gets.

I have 2 of them, both dating back to 1965. I never saw the need for anything else. To be sure I had bigger tackle for incoming stripers but the 301 was as good as it gets.

I have 2 Mitchell 300's also. My wife's favorite reel because the bail is so easy to close when turning the handle. Have a couple of 408 ultra lights also. Bought them all in the mid 60's and still running strong.

Virgil

How bout just a cane pole? And wooden skis with just a leather strap over the toe. Point em down hill no turns required.

Listening to the radio before TV:  The Shadow, Lone Ranger, baseball and ag market reports.

Food, gas, tire and shoe rationing. Uncles, fathers shipping out / coming home from WWII by ship and train. Every family had a Victory Garden or a couple chickens in the back yard. Gold Stars in windows, too many funeral services. More of the same during Korea. When my extended family went to our small church, we filled up 3 pews with cousins, aunts, uncles, grandparents, babies, inlaws.

5-10 yrs later: Kids could buy individual shotgun shells out of the box down at the hardware store .  Shot ducks from a blind and over the 3 decoys I found in the marsh.

If you were possible college material you took Latin and typing in HS, no choice. I wanted to take welding and mechanic, no go. ( Took 'em later in night school.)  Hunted pheasants and ducks after school, compared notes with teachers next day. Almost all the HS teachers / store owners/ small business men/ farmers. were WWII vets, no nonsense, no BS types and they were respected by student and community.

Had a '53 Studebaker, what can i say, it ran. Gas was .23 per gallon but would hit .19 during price wars. Nobody had a purebred dog. Rich guys shot A-5 Brownings. I had a trap line for muskrat. Nobody I knew had an over under.  Several  shot Savage SxS though, the 16 gauge was not an oddity.  Milwaukee went to the World Series in 1957 and I got a used JC Higgins pump gun for $35 w/ a knock off Cutts Comp. Awkward gun and handled like a 2 x 8, but it was mine.

Herter's Model C reloading press was the reloading tool of choice, by then I had a .218 Bee,  that along with a  steel casting rod with agate guides, topped with a Sears bait cast reel. A teriffic summer job paid $1.50 for hard manual labor. My last year in HS, Grain Belt Beer was an acquired taste.  A few years later Old Milwaukee was introduced at $.99 / six pack, a new VW sedan was $1599, and the windows never completely defrosted, you carried an ice scraper for the inside.

First real job out of college paid $5000, Just married I had to work two jobs, 4 yrs later had almost enough for a down payment, bought a 40 yr old small starter house for $16,500, started a family. Life was and is good.