I am so old, that I.....

My first fishing reel was the original and venerable Mitchell 300. And I still have it and it still works.

I have 2 of them, both dating back to 1965. I never saw the need for anything else. To be sure I had bigger tackle for incoming stripers but the 301 was as good as it gets.

I have 2 Mitchell 300's also. My wife's favorite reel because the bail is so easy to close when turning the handle. Have a couple of 408 ultra lights also. Bought them all in the mid 60's and still running strong.

Virgil

My first spinning reel was an Airex Spinster with a finger bail. Also have had abd still have various Mitchell 300/400 series reels.

Airex Spinster

(Photo TOO large for this board format, ill try and image and repost later when I am on my work computer. BE)

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Brad Eden

• Hairy Clipper

• Rex Hoppie

• Virgil Kane

I am old, but not as old as some of you. I caught the tail end of the radio stories in the late 50's. Found a channel, (148), on Sirius/xm that plays those old series. Totally hooked on it. Been known to sit in the jeep for 10 minutes after arriving at a destination just to hear the end of the story. Well written stuff, much better than the drivel that is presented on TV today.

*Remember my dads 47 Dodge. The 6 volt battery would barely turn that thing over when it was 0 out.

*I was the kid that pumped gas in yr car when it was $.25/gal at my dads place. Early 60's.

*Also washed and wiped your windshield.

*Checked oil or tire pressure if you wanted!

*Texaco Firechief and Skychief gas.

*Patching and changing car tires with tubes.

*I stopped at Sinclair gas station with the dinosaur sign in Culbertson Montana a month ago, and they were total self service, no one even there!

*My first phone number I can remember was Harrison-1654. I think they had just changed from 3 to 4 digits.

Dang, that was a long time ago! :)

...that I bought the first mass marketed Mac computer (Classic) back when "desktop publishing" was all the rage...
Hairy Clipper
I am old, but not as old as some of you. I caught the tail end of the radio stories in the late 50's. Found a channel, (148), on Sirius/xm that plays those old series. Totally hooked on it. Been known to sit in the jeep for 10 minutes after arriving at a destination just to hear the end of the story. Well written stuff, much better than the drivel that is presented on TV today.

Boy, you can say that again!

I'm so old I can remember hearing sonic booms before the FAA restricted supersonic flights having to be over 10,000 ft and not over populated areas.

Virgil

------------That the local gas station would give a kid an old discarded  innertube to make a slingshot with. The pink tubes were the best!
[/quote

And I clearly remember listening to The Lone Ranger, Sky King, Sergeant Preston, The Green Hornet and The Shadow on the radio before we had TV.  Inner Sanctum scared the crap out of me.

Larry, the one that creeped me out the most was "The Creaking Door'.

I'm just past the half-century mark, and still can't hold a candle to some of you old fossils.

But as for Poly Chokes and Mitchell 300's, good stuff doesn't get old.  It just keeps lasting and lasting.

Hairy Clipper
... that I bought a case of 20 gauge Mark V shells when there were 20 boxes to a case for $42.50 and there was no sales tax.

[/quote

And I clearly remember listening to The Lone Ranger, Sky King, Sergeant Preston, The Green Hornet and The Shadow on the radio before we had TV.  Inner Sanctum scared the crap out of me.

Larry, the one that creeped me out the most was "The Creaking Door'.

That was "Inner Sanctum".

Major purchase I made with my paper route profits:  South Bend Anti-Backlash baitcasting reel.  Actually worked pretty well if you adjusted the anti-backlash device correctly.  That was before I got into spincasting and then spinning reels.  The old Mitchell 300's and lighter 308's were great.

I also took a couple years of Latin in HS.  College bound, and hotter girls than shop.

I'm so old I remember the last time the Vikings won the Super Bowl

Now you are dreaming.

It's the senility.  I also remember when almost every boy brought a pocket knife to school

Hairy Clipper
I am so sold I remember Harmon Killebrew pulling a hamstring while stretching to get a throw playing first base in an All-Star Game.
 I also remember when almost every boy brought a pocket knife to school

My 7th grade math teacher spied me with my little Case XX out in class and he tried to trade me out of it.  No deal.