REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
UplandHntr

Bass Pro Shops to buy Cabelas?

gonehuntin
I prefer LL Bean as they still carry some great stuff and have outlet stores where unreal deals can be had.

+1. I really wish we had a Bean close to us. Most of my personal and hunting clothes come from them.

They're one of the FEW places with a great choice and most available in Tall.

JK SE PA
I can't say as I am excited by the news.  Although their stuff isn't always value priced I believe Cabela's has better quality stuff in general, especially when it comes to boots and fly fishing related items.  I can only hope that the labels remain separate, which I assume they will, and that they will not be changing their inventory options too much.  I am really hoping that this doesn't mean the end of Meindl boots at Cabela's.

upstate

not impressed with either anymore. liked cabela's thought quality was decent.

tried to find a run of the mill orange knit hat at BPS recently. they had everything but. went next door to walmart, and found what I wanted for $3 bucks a piece. If BPS had them they would have had a stupid looking deer rack of some sort on it and a $20 price tag.

done shopping at both if I can help it

beans stuff is great in my book.

Fin2Feather
There's a small company in the building next to where I work whose sole purpose is to research products from other companies and then figure out how Cabela's can produce them cheaper overseas.  Not the same company as Dick and Jim's, that's for sure!

Laminarman

Interesting. The problem, from MY personal experience, is this:

Cabelas was good, now they stink. Especially in Hamburg, PA where the gun counter folks are impatient and sometimes rude.  I remember 20 years ago when I wore a Filson vest from Cabelas and shredded the orange material off of it over two or three seasons.  I called and inquired about having it repaired, if it went to them or Filson.  They promised an answer, and instead in two days I got a new one free of charge, no questions asked.  That is gone.  

Bass Pro, basically, the two I've been to had people with less knowledge than Cabelas.

Gander Mountain.  Their Guide series clothing and products stink and don't have a lot of brand name products.  Selection seems less than the other two.

Consequently, I don't pay a whole lot of attention to price and try to order or buy from smaller locally owned sports shops.

Wildbird
Cabela's used to be good 10-15 years ago and had decent quality merchandise including the Cabela branded ones.

Bass Pro was always low quality including their mass produced boats.

Very true and very sad. We have a BPS that I haven't set foot in three or four years. I hate Bass Pro.

Brad Eden

BPS and Cabelas are what they are. Of course they cater to the consumptive outdoor enthusiast not the niche upland hunting market. I don't go out of my way to go to either, but when I do its Cabelas in southern Maine. There are some good deals in their bargain cave and the inventory is good on most anything except niche upland gear...I generally prefer Cabelas stores over BPS, more for aesthetics than anything else. I find Cabelas to be big and well lit and easy to navigate and BPS, dark and jumbled etc. Still apples to apples.

Regardless, my hats off to any brick and mortar retailer that manages to stay in business in the finicky hunting and fishing market given how the Internet has take over the world of retail.

Pomoxis
Who cares...they both carry the same merchandise and I rarely shop either one.

quailguy

Can't say I ever really liked BPS. The San Antonio Bass Pro seems to have mostly outdoorsy style clothes and 100 bass boats of varying quality. The guns and ammo are upstairs in a corner as far from the front door as it is possible to be. The fly fishing guys do know their stuff I will say.

Not sure if the store would still be open except for all the rich Mexicans who shop there for clothes. San Antonio is still, as it has been for at least 100 years, sort of a vacation and safe area for Mexicans of means to escape from the crime and chaos of Mexico.

I stopped looking at their guns years ago. Don't care for autojammatic shotguns. They have a small 2 foot section of 16 gauge ammo lost in the middle of 1000's of boxes of the latest high priced gimmicky 12 and 20 gauge shells.

At least the gun and ammo section of the Cabelas south of Austin IS right by the front doors and they have a fine gun room. Mostly filled with guns anyone actually looking for a FINE gun would pass right by. Nice collection of SAA Colt pistols though and lotsa ammo and the required acres of clothes.

Granted Cabelas is not what it once was, but I would go there every time if it weren't 60 miles up an always jammed up IH 35.

juneboy1
To hell with all the big box town killing mega stores. Go to your locally owned store. Whether it is a fly shop or a gun store. If they can't get it ask them to order it. The last thing I will do is wear an article of clothing advertising for these soulless bastads. Maybe they will just swallow each other up and go away. Don's in Lewistown, Mack's in Stuttgart, and most any flyshop type store get my dollars.

Uplandish

Cabela's has been swirling the drain since Dick Cabela passed away.

They used to make really good gear, now its cheapo throw away stuff. I have Cabelas brand hunting clothing I bought ten years ago that gets used every year, while the latest stuff I can barely get a couple seasons out of. I think they sold their integrity for a ridiculous return policy.

Cooter Brown

It makes sense given what Cabela's has become.

Like everyone else I lament the loss of what Cabela's used to be.  I also note that I don't know anyone that has anything positive to say about BPS.  But they power right on.

If the deal goes through there are likely a few people at Cabela's--who by the way have not been there very long--who are going to make a lot of money on the deal.  It's what they've been looking for since they entered big box retail.

PaFlyfisher
BPS and Cabelas are what they are. Of course they cater to the consumptive outdoor enthusiast not the niche upland hunting market. I don't go out of my way to go to either, but when I do its Cabelas in southern Maine. There are some good deals in their bargain cave and the inventory is good on most anything except niche upland gear...I generally prefer Cabelas stores over BPS, more for aesthetics than anything else. I find Cabelas to be big and well lit and easy to navigate and BPS, dark and jumbled etc. Still apples to apples.

Regardless, my hats off to any brick and mortar retailer that manages to stay in business in the finicky hunting and fishing market given how the Internet has take over the world of retail.

I agree on every single point.

john mcg
Kittery Trading Post in Maine is still a regular stop for us. They are still carrying some good stuff and have one of the best gun selections around. Not to mention the fly shop.

Pumpgun
I prefer LL Bean as they still carry some great stuff and have outlet stores where unreal deals can be had.

Here's an example of why I remain a loyal customer of L.L. Bean since I started ordering from them as a 13 year old, back in 1971:

Eight years ago, I bought an L.L. Bean Ladies' Field Watch for my wife.  She recently dropped it on the tile floor and cracked the crystal.  Customer service advised me to send it in to be repaired.  I got a phone call from them yesterday, saying that they're mailing her a new one, free of charge!  Can't beat that kind of customer service.