REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
UplandHntr

Bass Pro Shops to buy Cabelas?

NW River Mac

I've been to both and in my opinion BPS is a step down from Cabelas in quality.  I'm not saying that Cabelas is high quality but it's very serviceable.  All retailers try to capture the "Columbia and North Face" crowd and that drives me nuts to see that junk in a sporting store.  

I guess most hunters and outdoors types will have to relearn that you don't have to have a matching ensemble to traipse though the woods.  I bet people in flannel and denim account for as much game taken as the matching camo and  Under Armor crew.

quailguy

You know, I would LIKE to get my outdoor "stuff" from local folks as Billy suggests. A few years ago I went into my favorite local gunshop looking for a 16 or 20 gauge American SxS. One of the guns the sales guy showed me was a Crescent .410 with barrels so thin one could almost read a newspaper through them. I gave him the gun back and told him it was unsafe to shoot and that he needed to get the gunsmith to certify it was safe. Coupla weeks later that gun was gone; sold or pulled I don't know. Now the owner of that shop does know his shotguns very well; his "help" not so much.

You would never see that sort of thing at Cabelas. One can also order any gun at any Cabelas to be delivered to your local Cabelas for $25. I have used this service more than once and got both my AYA nr 2s this way. AND got a really good deal on the two of them.

It's not as if the local Cabelas "Fine Gun Room" guys really know much about better shotguns; (in fact their knowledge level is pathetic) I'm sure most of us know more than the nearest Cabelas guys. As several members have noted, we are a small niche market. BUT, any Cabelas does have access to all those guns at each Cabelas and given you know your shotguns, you can do alright there.

ScottGrush
I prefer LL Bean as they still carry some great stuff and have outlet stores where unreal deals can be had.

Here's an example of why I remain a loyal customer of L.L. Bean since I started ordering from them as a 13 year old, back in 1971:

Eight years ago, I bought an L.L. Bean Ladies' Field Watch for my wife.  She recently dropped it on the tile floor and cracked the crystal.  Customer service advised me to send it in to be repaired.  I got a phone call from them yesterday, saying that they're mailing her a new one, free of charge!  Can't beat that kind of customer service.

I think that is bad business.

You got 8 years of service out of a good product what more do they owe the customer?

Soon they too will fold up and blow away like the rest of them.

bobman

I like them both, IMO cabela's has the edge on hunting stuff and bass pro on fishing stuff.

I like cabelas return policy even though Ive never used it so far.

But I want them to be competitors to keep each other honest.

Brad Eden

I prefer LL Bean as they still carry some great stuff and have outlet stores where unreal deals can be had.

Here's an example of why I remain a loyal customer of L.L. Bean since I started ordering from them as a 13 year old, back in 1971:

Eight years ago, I bought an L.L. Bean Ladies' Field Watch for my wife.  She recently dropped it on the tile floor and cracked the crystal.  Customer service advised me to send it in to be repaired.  I got a phone call from them yesterday, saying that they're mailing her a new one, free of charge!  Can't beat that kind of customer service.

You got 8 years of service out of a good product what more do they owe the customer?

Disagree. I haven't researched it but Im betting the hunting/fishing element of LLB is more for branding than bottom line. They have become popular with the "urban country folk" and the hipsters. The Bean Boot is now a fashion accessory and they couldn't fill orders this year. LLB will be around for a very long time. IMO

Spin
My favorite brick and mortar store used to be Sportsman's Warehouse but they closed down their store in De Pere and that was that for them in my area.

john mcg

Disagree. I haven't researched it but Im betting the hunting/fishing element of LLB is more for branding than bottom line. They have become popular with the "urban country folk" and the hipsters. The Bean Boot is now a fashion accessory and they couldn't fill orders this year. LLB will be around for a very long time. IMO

I agree that Bean will be around for a long time.

Lots of folks up that way need those jobs.

Although I agree they didn't owe the watch wearer a new watch, that kind of good will is a powerful thing.

Having said that, foks that abused Eastern Mountain Sports returned policy ruined it, but then again they have been bought and sold several times and focus has changed over time.

DennisMcFeely

Don't care for Bass Pro as much but like Cabelas for some things I want.  I look for their sales, particularly on their own branded stuff.  So far I've been lucky and am happy with the quality relative to price.

I buy mostly online as a function of little time and the nearest Cabelas is two hours away.  

LL Bean is awesome in lots of ways IMO and I get lots of things from them.  Their customer service is the gold standard as far as I'm concerned.

dogrunner
My favorite brick and mortar store used to be Sportsman's Warehouse but they closed down their store in De Pere and that was that for them in my area.

Yep I liked there store the best also but it only lasted a year here, they picked a terrible spot to put it otherwise I think it would have done great.

WPG Gizmo

Beans has been doing that forever and they are still around and have a great customer base.  They would rather have happy customers who speak highly of them and bring them even more business then worry about replacing something.

As for BP we have one that is local and they have done right by me.  I have bought gear that broke and they replaced it no questions with another new one that day.  Do I want to see Cabelas and BP merge not really I dont see it being good for either store.

greypartridge

Never really cared for the low end hunting dept at BPS , fishing dept is actually pretty good maybe even better than Cabelas. I lived close to the BPS main store in Springfield MO. Their fine gun room was even dying in the main store close to 10 yrs ago. High turnover of help in the gunrooms at both Cabelas and BPS when they had one. I rarely shopped there. I would drive to Cabelas in KC.

In its day with the Cabelas brothers running the show it was a great store, not anymore. Sportsman Warehouse lacks inventory on numerous occasions trying to shop there. I would not want to be in the sporting goods business

Both of these companies are so big now they have lost their personality and direction. While I will occasionally shop there I now prefer more of the specialty sporting good stores and I still like LL Bean.

birdguy
The Cabelas visa is an ok way to shop Cabelas - usually accumulate $100ish store credit/yr - I use it for stuff I'd usually get anyway, so even if it is at a premium price (which it usually is) I'm ok with it.  I'd seldom shop Cabelas were it not for the card perks.

provident
I have no familiarity with BPS at all here in Maine, but have done lots of business with Cabelas and LLBean. Both have good return policies, but nobody tops LLB customer service. When my good friend and I were planning a fly fishing trip one year he ordered a new 5 weight from LLB. When they notified him that it was out of stock, he called them to find out when it would be delivered. Sadly, he was told it would be after our trip. When he explained that, they said, "If you like, we'll send you, at our expense, a better fly rod for you to use on your trip. When you get the new one you ordered, just return the one we sent you at our expense." How in the world can you bet that for service?

Don Steese
Just reading through this and thinking it doesn't mean squat to me anymore. Over the course of 71 odd years I've accumulated about three of everything!! Don't want or need anymore stuff.

MAArcher

Both stores suck and I'll tell you who's fault it is.  All you guys that bring your women into the store.  The margin on clothing is ridiculous.  So when guys starting bringing their chicks into a man’s store, and they started buying all that pink camo.  The stores said “Forget about quality hunting and fishing stuff that works for a reasonable price, let’s just sell mountains of pink camo to the girlfriends of all the wanabe outdoorsmen; we’ll make 10 times more money.”  And then they did.  

So now instead of two great outfitters, we have camouflage versions of the GAP and Old Navy.

So you, with the deep pockets and hot wife or girlfriend, do us all a favor and keep her out of the next good outfitter if one ever pops up.