Bass Pro Shops to buy Cabelas?

So now instead of two great outfitters, we have camouflage versions of the GAP and Old Navy.

+1

I am fortunate to have two hook and bullet stores nearby that carry almost everything I might need, including odd ammo like 28 and 16 gauge non tox shells.  I would much rather spend my hunting dollars at these places.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• john mcg

• bobman

• Kansas Big Dog

• Brad Eden

So now instead of two great outfitters, we have camouflage versions of the GAP and Old Navy.

+1

I am fortunate to have two hook and bullet stores nearby that carry almost everything I might need, including odd ammo like 28 and 16 gauge non tox shells.  I would much rather spend my hunting dollars at these places.

That's a quotable quote right there.

This has all been predictable since Cabela's went public.  

Firstly, they brought in upper management from big box stores that deal with other markets.

(At the store level it's largely the same thing.  The management of the store that opened here last year came from Lowe's, HD etc. and don't hunt/fish or have any experience in the market.  There were interviews in the local paper where they talked about bringing the "values" and "energy" and "dynamics" they developed at their previous employers to Cabela's.  That's all well and good but it doesn't address the customers who made Cabela's what it was.)

I did a little poking around and the investors who have bought stakes in Cabela's include people with a history of pumping up market cap and dumping.

These people and the upper management at the corporate level at Cabela's stand to pull a lot of cash out of the deal if it happens.  This was their plan from the very beginning.

No harm no foul, it's what they do, but it doesn't make losing what Cabela's was any easier.

The point is that the goal of these people was not to make Cabela's a better outdoors store or even to maintain it at what it was--they were there to increase the value of the company as efficiently as possible and exit with as much cash as they could.

In short this is par for the course.  The miracle is that BPS is still private.  The unfortunate thing is that in my eyes it was the lesser of the two stores.

If anybody has made it through this far in the post and knows, are the two Jay's stores in Michigan still good places?

If anybody has made it through this far in the post and knows, are the two Jay's stores in Michigan still good places?

I've had a Cabela's card since they have started issuing them. Use the points for XMAS, B'Day presents, etc etc.

Have shopped at several of them and agree with most, they ain't what they were under the Cabela's brothers. Pity. Nothing stays the same.  :down:  

RE Jay's here in MI. I live 1 1/2-2 hours from both of them. Shop there mostly when going/ coming back from somewhere else. They have a very good stock of most stuff. I can find ammo, reloading supplies, food plot stuff, etc that nobody else has. Very high prices on most things, MSRP or higher! Be careful.

And usually a VG selection of pre-owned firearms. Bot a  couple of NM guns there and prices were merely OK, but not great. Some good gun counter/ammo guys and some dorks too. Par for the course.

Eric Rinehart

I hope Cabela's is able to stick to the policy of being closed on Thanksgiving.  I just received the sale flyer in the morning paper and they have announced that this year they will be closed again.   BPS, as I recall, was open for business last year.    Typically do not buy from them anyway, but that decision keeps me from any future purchase.

Eric

The point is that the goal of these people was not to make Cabela's a better outdoors store or even to maintain it at what it was--they were there to increase the value of the company as efficiently as possible and exit with as much cash as they could.

Exact-a-mundo!

Beans and Orvis better be careful of this phenomenon ala Eddie Bauer.

LL Bean is still family owned and has a somewhat unique heritage linked to the Maine woods and its people.

THey have of course diversified, but it seems to me the core is still there. Both in product and philosophy.

Kansas Big Dog
I like them both, IMO cabela's has the edge on hunting stuff and bass pro on fishing stuff.

I like cabelas return policy even though Ive never used it so far.

But I want them to be competitors to keep each other honest.

x2

We order a lot of stuff on line and have it delivered.

Kansas Big Dog
LL Bean is still family owned and has a somewhat unique heritage linked to the Maine woods and its people.

THey have of course diversified, but it seems to me the core is still there. Both in product and philosophy.

Bass Pro is a family owned business too.

http://www.basspro.com/webapp....pID=659

As was Cabelas at one time.

Mike,

Will the Cabela's hood you own be the last one you own if this deal goes down? Should you stock up? Some of us may never be able to recognize you without it.

Tye

Kansas Big Dog
Mike,

Will the Cabela's hood you own be the last one you own if this deal goes down? Should you stock up? Some of us may never be able to recognize you without it.

Tye

I know, I ordered another camo hoodie today.

My favorite brick and mortar store used to be Sportsman's Warehouse but they closed down their store in De Pere and that was that for them in my area.

AMEN

DennisMcFeely
So you, with the deep pockets and hot wife or girlfriend, do us all a favor and keep her out of the next good outfitter if one ever pops up.

:laugh: