• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• MAArcher

• max2

• popplecop

• bobman

I take it back, I do remember someone claiming a deer I shot.  On one of my first drives, about 10 or 12 years ago, I knocked over a nice buck with buck shot.  When I climbed over the hill to get him, he jumped up and ran off.  Very little blood.  On the next drive my friend shot him and put him on the wall.  My shot turned out to be one pellet next to the spine that stunned him.  My lesson learned, don't use buck shot and make the first shot count.

I shot a deer that cam e limping by right under my tree stand one time in Northern Wisconsin its front leg was dangling and there was fresh snow so I just stayed in my stand. Sure enough a high school aged kid came along following the blood trail, he got up to me saw the deer lying there and turned around without saying a word and started walking away. :D

I asked if he wasn't forgetting something? He looked at me and said "what"?  I said " your deer" that kids face lit up and he had a smile from ear to ear.

I did ask him to gut it somewhere else.....

To me it isn't about who shot first and who shot last, it's about the specific situation and manners.  I would be inclined to give it to a younger hunter either way.  I would also be inclined to part with a deer if someone acknowledged my part in it and asked sincerely regardless. I do have a hard time with pompous blowhard strangers demanding things of me though.  Approached in that type of fashion I tend to be a horses ass.  It's one of my worst traits.
Few years back I was in my stand and heard a shot behind me across the river. Then I heard a splash and watched a deer swim across. As it emerged I saw it was a good size button buck, nice and tender, and apparently unhurt. I grunted, it froze, and I put a bullet through both lungs. It went ran off into the weeds but I knew it wouldn't go far. Just to be safe I waited awhile. A man and his son, about 8-9 came up. The boy was very excited, saying he shot at a deer on the other side of the river and they were trying to find it, his first one. I said "Yep, it crossed right here, I shot at it and missed, it ran into those weeds over there."  We found it covered in fresh lung blood, the only shot in it. The boy yelled for joy. The father looked at me and I gave him a nod, he smiled back.

I've told this story before but I'll tell it again.

My youngest son at about age 12 shot his first deer (doe) as it ran past him. Heck of a shot but the deer kept running. He and I followed the blood trail about 100 yards to find a guy standing over my sons deer gutting it out. This guy never fired a shot at the deer and it must have dropped within eye site of where he was sitting. As the guy finished gutting the deer and put his tag on the deer my son looked at him and thanked him for gutting the deer and proceeded to cut the guys tag off the leg of the deer, put his own tag on and started dragging the deer back to my truck.

I though this guy was going to raise a big stink but he must have thought to himself "if the kid is this crazy at such a young age I want nothing to do with his old man!"  The guy never said a thing. His tag was ruined and unusable and I figured he was done hunting for the season with no tag.  Kinda served him right seeing as how it was only minutes between the shot my son took and us finding this guy standing over the deer!

To me the first shooter hitting the deer gets the deer. Hell, I've had deer wounded that ran by me after hearing a distant shot and I finished them off. Even gutted them only to give the deer to the guy that came along trailing it and was happy to do it and help the guy out.  WTF it's only a deer.

Virgil

Few years back I was in my stand and heard a shot behind me across the river. Then I heard a splash and watched a deer swim across. As it emerged I saw it was a good size button buck, nice and tender, and apparently unhurt. I grunted, it froze, and I put a bullet through both lungs. It went ran off into the weeds but I knew it wouldn't go far. Just to be safe I waited awhile. A man and his son, about 8-9 came up. The boy was very excited, saying he shot at a deer on the other side of the river and they were trying to find it, his first one. I said "Yep, it crossed right here, I shot at it and missed, it ran into those weeds over there."  We found it covered in fresh lung blood, the only shot in it. The boy yelled for joy. The father looked at me and I gave him a nod, he smiled back.

Good on you :D

You made that little boys season.

I heard a story of a kid who shot a nice buck and  went to get help to drag it. Came back and a hunter much older than the young fella was claiming he killed it. After a few  gathered and tried to figure out who the buck belongs to, The kid said he can prove it's his and asked the 1 who tried to calm it to open the deer's mouth. The man looked surprised to see the tongue was removed.  The kid cut it out and put it in his pocket before he went for help. Not sure if it's a true  story but i thought was a good one either way.
I read that if VT tracker Larry Benoit had to leave a deer in the woods for any length of time he would slip a bullet into the deers anus. If stolen or claimed he could point out the plug.

Had a friend that would stab the hind leg of a deer and push a quarter in the slit, just in case someone took his deer.

Lots of ways to mark a deer!

Virgil

• 1 month later...

There are definately jerks out there luckily I have not crossed their path. However  to my mind if I knew I made a decent hit and someone just claimed my deer almost all of us have   a cell phone camera so my take would be  let me have a couple of quick pictures and you can then enjoy your deer and I'll keep on hunting. If I shot it in the paunch or rear end then I would just congratulate you on your deer and keep on hunting.

Think about it , how many time have you nailed a dove at a dove shoot only to have someone go pick it up. I count it in my limit and keep on shooting. I had a chronic claimer just up from me last year he would shoot once or twice  and then 3-4 seconds later I would shoot it and he would send his dog after it and keep it even though it was clearly on the wing after he shot at it.

First killing shot is the rule.  If you shoot a deer in the leg and I end up killing it IF you are decent about it and dont want to start a war I would have no problem giving it to you.  Come with a Attitude and it is a different story all together.

Thank You, Gary.

We do the same, and in fact, have cooperative tracking agreements with all of our neighbors.  Have helped many over the years.

The "First Shot" in a deer in the guts or hind hock doesn't deserve anything, except scorn and tag soup. Its total B.S. suspect.gif

NB

X100

A little marksmanship and self-discipline when deciding when, or more importantly, when not to shoot would go a long ways towards avoiding the situation in the first place. I’m more interested in courtesy and sportsmanship than rules about who gets a poorly shot deer.

• 3 weeks later...

I've been fortunate recovering deer not immediately anchored but I'd be fine with another hunter DROPPING and claiming an animal I wounded.

Someone finishing off a deer on the ground and claiming it in proximity to the guy who dropped it is obviously an idiot.

First killing shot is the rule.  If you shoot a deer in the leg and I end up killing it IF you are decent about it and dont want to start a war I would have no problem giving it to you.  Come with a Attitude and it is a different story all together.

Thank You, Gary.

We do the same, and in fact, have cooperative tracking agreements with all of our neighbors.  Have helped many over the years.

The "First Shot" in a deer in the guts or hind hock doesn't deserve anything, except scorn and tag soup. Its total B.S. suspect.gif

NB

X100

A little marksmanship and self-discipline when deciding when, or more importantly, when not to shoot would go a long ways towards avoiding the situation in the first place. I’m more interested in courtesy and sportsmanship than rules about who gets a poorly shot deer.

You guys have never seen heart and double lunged deer run a half mile?  A good shot is no guarantee of a quick and easy recovery.