First Shot or Last Shot

If it is on the hoof when it comes through and not on the hoof after I shoot, then it is my deer.  That is the basic rule we used when I was growing up.  If it is still running, it is still alive whether the heart and lungs are jelly or not.  I guess you could interpret that to be the 'last' shot claims the deer, so long as the deer is on the hoof.

rick

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• MAArcher

• max2

• popplecop

• bobman

Have seen heart shot deer run for quite a distance before keeling over, there a number of fatal shots that allow for the animal to cover several hundred yards before dieing.  Guess that's why I grew up with first blood. Deer were scarce here in the early 50s and bucks only, we hunted without bait and our feet on the ground, a lot of todays hunters never tried that concept.  Oh well to each his own.

Not a deer, but a goose.  And not the first or last shot, but a similar theme with a young hunter.  

A friend and I were goose hunting with my 10 y/o daughter.  A flock came in and we shot with a single goose falling.  My daughter excitedly claimed it.  My friend also noted that he thought he shot it.  I knew it wasn't me as the bird I shot at was hit, but unfortunately didn't come down.  I sent my kid out to get it and had a conversation with my friend about ruining a young hunter.  He conceded and the goose went home with us.  When I cleaned it, the bird had #4 tungsten in it rather than the BB steel my friend was shooting.  I teased him some later.  Now my kid is in college and his two children are of hunting age.  As I see it.  We need to get his kids some birds in the bag.  

Kudos to those who realize the benefit to a kid and have graciously let them claim an animal.  

There are those who slap a bullet into an animal after it is down, or flat out put a tag on an animal they see fall after another shoots it.  Those hunters represent the worst of our legion and probably didn't have the benefit of good parenting.

• 4 weeks later...
Mike Connally
This is basically the reason I don't hunt big game anymore. The whole focus is on the dead animal. With bird hunting the focus is on the process. It's dogs, dog work, country, and the hunt. The prize is the experience. If someone claims my bird...great. I don't have to clean it.
Man this whole thread is making me rethink getting involved with deer hunting.  Pretty yucky tales.
Man this whole thread is making me rethink getting involved with deer hunting.  Pretty yucky tales.

Don't get turned off by the tales .  Give it go. It is pretty invigorating when a big ole buck comes walking in.. :D  

Plus you get to see a whole lot of  what nature has to offer.

This is basically the reason I don't hunt big game anymore. The whole focus is on the dead animal. With bird hunting the focus is on the process. It's dogs, dog work, country, and the hunt. The prize is the experience. If someone claims my bird...great. I don't have to clean it.

Hey that reminds me . . .

Jakeismydog2

image_zps09882qqt.jpeg

image_zps09882qqt.jpeg

I can...I relish whitetail deer hunting with bow and rifle. It can be as much a process as upland bird hunting. Some bird hunters drive logging roads with a beer between their knees and shoot road birds (grouse) with a TC .410 pistol, and others own dogs, and carry expensive shotguns and use electronic gadgetry and wingshoot birds. Some deer hunters hobble out to a treestand and wait for the deer to come to bait and others scout year round, gain permission to hunt areas, pattern the deer and wait up high with bow or stalk or track.