REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
Kemo Sabe

Ducks Unlimited fires E. Donnall Thomas

GB Jack
I stopped doing that years ago, once the real deal came out about dollars spent per cause, one of the worst in America

bobman
Quail unlimited was another "good ol boy" farce

ThomGordon

DU, PF, QU, UCF

FU

Doubleplay
The sad part is, as I understand it, there is no other organization that is even in the same ball park as DU when it comes to preserving land.  So is it really a good idea to defund them because they fired a magazine writer at the request of one of its largest donors?  DU isn't in the News business.  They are in the business of conserving and protecting duck habitat.  The big donor furthers that goal far more than the magazine writer.  

Not that I like what happened.  But its a real tuff issue and it sounds like Jim Kennedy should have had a say.  I struggle with the concept of land ownership.  In so many ways, it just doesn't make sense.  If you look at it from a religious or spiritual sense, do you think your God made the earth and put you only it, only to have your access to it limited by other men who got there before you did?  But on the other hand, the idea that you shouldn't own land and that anyone can walk up next to you and put down roots is not very appetizing.  The idea that you could work hard all your life, amass enough money to buy a bunch of land along a river and have your own private paradise, only to be told that "Well, its not really yours, any dumb ass in town can be there."  Its a wicked conundrum.

What if you did not work a day in your life and inherited your wealth. Apparently Mr. Kennedy did. I don't want to lead this into a political thread but I'm sick and tired of people like him who thinks money can buy anything including justice and elections.

Superpacs is an example where this country is going. It's a shame!

T-Bone

After over 30+ years as a member, I quit DU sometime ago due to their hand in helping to destroy public walk-in waterfowl hunting access on Skagit Bay in Washington. Their tone in walk-in hunters airing their concerns to them and their blind faith support of nothing more than a political decision by WDFW was ignorant, arrogant and elitist. Their present decision to terminate relations with Don Thomas speak to more of the same. As few may know, E.Donnall Thomas, Jr. is not only a gifted outdoor writer, but a retired, well respected physician and the son of E. Donnall Thomas,Sr., a Nobel Prize winning physician. Long ago, I had the pleasure, in a casual setting, of meeting the Senior Dr. Thomas; a truly unpretentious gentleman as by all accounts is his son.

DU has seen the last of me as well as many other average water fowlers.

Tom

Kemo Sabe

Here's a very good synopsis of this whole matter:

http://www.startribune.com/popular....9127341

I think it's important to note that:

1). Thomas's article was not in a DU Publication.

2). He was unaware of Kennedy's affiliation with DU.

3). This subject matter had NOTHING to do with ducks. Rather, it was about a fishing stream.

quailguy

Here's a very good synopsis of this whole matter:

http://www.startribune.com/popular....9127341

I think it's important to note that:

1). Thomas's article was not in a DU Publication.

2). He was unaware of Kennedy's affiliation with DU.

3). This subject matter had NOTHING to do with ducks. Rather, it was about a fishing stream.

Well, this tears it; I'm done with DU. Been unhappy with them for years.

It may sound strange, but I don't really think that rich guy Kennedy didi anything wrong. He lawfully used his money and influence in MT to get this Ruby creek locked up for himself. Selfish, short sighted, but not legally wrong. We each have the ability to petition government for redress of grievance.

Per the First Amendment to the US Constitution; the Bill of Rights.

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances."

Where DU went wrong is in being the lap dog, up to and including firing Don Thomas, JR, MD,  of some rich guy. DU is a real mass organization. Once it begins to support only rich people at the expense of the more or less average guy, they will start a precipitous decline.

Screw 'em.

Skybuster
Been a DU member for years. Just tossed the latest letter from DU in the trash without opening it. Now if I could just remove that decal on my rear bumper without scratching the finish....

co_setter

Minneapolis Star Tribune gives the issue some press - not favorably for DU.

Trib Opinion

MoSpaniels

"Been a DU member for years. Just tossed the latest letter from DU in the trash without opening it. Now if I could just remove that decal on my rear bumper without scratching the finish...."

Aw, go ahead, you can call that scratch..a character mark. :cool:

trust me
DU, as my late pappy would say, stepped in shyt and then fell back in it. They've appeased Kennedy and alienated 1000's of others.

jeff88

A few weeks back, Shannon Tompkins, the HOU Chronicle outdoors writer did a column about buying the waterfowl stamp even if you don't hunt ducks or geese since the vast majority of that stamp goes to land management and wetlands conservation.  I buy one every year even if I don't use it.  

Not sure about the agencies mentioned in this thread but I always ask the same question about not-for-profit organizations or charities to help decide if I'll contribute:

What percent of each dollar goes to the charity's recipients?

Years ago I decided that if the charity or beneficiaries do not get a whopping cut, it won't get my dollar.  Thanks to the United Way scandal decades ago, I've become a tougher sell on charities that smell more like businesses than altruistic foundations.  DU is giving off a noxious aroma based on what I'm reading here.  Don't get me started on the NFL charging the military for patriotic messaging.  That's a whole 'nother topic that stinks to high heaven.

Longrifle

I started and ran a chapter for a few years. Quit and told the regional guy to shove it when we raised over $60K net in three years and couldn't get any help locally, not even $1,000 for lumber for volunteers to make wood duck boxes.  It was more important to send money "where it counted most" and as they seem to be the lowest rated of any of the big outdoor charities (as shown on the charity navigator link above) as far as ratio of contributions to programs, I guess I know where that meant. Their pockets.

Also troubling is that some of their "program dollars" support staged hunts for thier big donors and execs.  They televised some of those and I kept thinking as I'm watching how dumb do you have to be to think people aren't going to see through this?