hunting deer with a rifle

hunting deer with a rifle  

1. 1. hunting deer with a rifle

• I only hunt deer with a rifle
      I only hunt deer with a rifle
    • muzzy and shotgun are the norm in my world
    • sorry if it is not archery I don't do it.

I have a nice 6.5 X 55 swedish that I was given from my father.  It has a lot of family heritage as it was converted from a military rifle to sporting and has been in the family since '53.  

I love it dearly but have never even thought of taking it deer hunting as most of the wmu's anywhere near me are muzzi.   Even as I travel a bit (2-3 hours) we are still in shotgun only.   I don't know when this all changed but it seem rifles for deer is heavily restricted.... at least where I live.

Interestingly I am very late to deer hunting, having only started last year, but have found that the muzzi has more than range to bring down the deer in my part of the world.

So what is like in your neck of the woods.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• John

• Iver

• Tim Frazier

• Coalman

For the last 20+ years it's been handgun,shotgun and ML for me. Not by choice but by the laws where I've been hunting.

I would rather hunt deer with a rifle if I had a choice. Shotguns work but limit the range, ML works about the same as shotgun. Here in IL there are so many deer that long ago I took up handgun hunting seeing as how we can use handguns for deer (within the state restrictions). In order I would say rifle, handgun, ML and then shotgun if I'm meat hunting. If I'm just out to enjoy the solitude of the woods and by chance take a deer then it would be archery. I find nothing sexy or interesting about carrying a big clunky 12 gauge into the deer woods other than it's the law in some places.

I didn't vote but would say yes to all of the above if I had a choice.

Virgil

Can't choose any of those.

I hunt deer with bow, rifle, and muzzleloader.

I have one with bow already, and am still bowhunting in special "expanded" zones until mid December. Right now I am mostly toting a rifle during November firearm season. If I don't shoot a deer with rifle I will likely carry my muzzleloader during the December Muzzleloader season.

Maine has loads of opportunities with bow, rifle or muzzleloader. There are some more populated areas that are ether bow and/or shotgun only. Im not sure if the shotgun only areas allow muzzleloaders.

I've never killed a deer with anything but a revolver, bow or crossbow.  For me, a 6" iron-sighted S&W .44 Mag is how I hunt with a gun, been doing it since the mid-'80s...so I really have no option on your poll I can truthfully answer!  :D   I have acquired a few flintlocks in the last couple years and have a strong desire to kill a deer or three with them.  So when I finally kill a deer with a long gun, it will likely be a custom flintlock built like one from 250 years ago.  No big handicap to me.

I would prefer to use a rifle but the area I live in is strictly ML Shotgun or Handgun but for Deer only if I wanted to hunt Bear, Moose or other animals in my area I am allowed to use a Rifle.  

What I fine funny is that when these laws were enacted the guns listed were all short range weapons 50 yards was about max range.  Then Technology stepped into the picture and now my ML and Shotgun are very accurate 200 yard weapons my Handgun well I shoot it at 100 yards all the time on the range.

What I fine funny is that when these laws were enacted the guns listed were all short range weapons 50 yards was about max range.  

I believe the same is true in my area.

Can't choose any of those.

I hunt deer with bow, rifle, and muzzleloader.

My situation is almost the same. Although my favorite method of deer hunting is still hunting with a rifle in the snow, Ohio's laws and my home area don't make that very practical. Instead, I use either a shotgun, bow or black powder rifle. Recently the law changed to allow some straight wall cartridges but at this point in my hunting career, I'll probably stick with what I've been using.

Just one of the reasons we moved to northern MI was that we could deer hunt with a rifle here. When we lived in far western NJ (Hunterton Co.) back in the day, you were forced to use a shotgun with buckshot only for deer hunting. :angry:  

IME, buckshot was a terrible wounder of deer, unless shot at almost point blank range. Later, slugs became legal and with rifled barrels and scopes, solid deer hunting weapons were finally available.

No option for me, either.

I've done a lot of bow hunting, As well as some ML and rifle. Never hunted deer with a shotgun.

Ohio has been slowly changing.  Straight walled rifles are now allowed(in most calibers youd think off, esp those with a handgun mirror) My son has and well...claimed the 444 as his.  I have a henry BB 44 that will be used for the first time in a couple weeks.  

I have heard that the state is looking at southern and eastern hilled ohio will open to rifles of all calliber 223-45 and the potential for those hunting private lands from tree stands 9' and higher.  (this really means about decade)

I hear your delima.  Id love to hunt with a 30/30

like you my shot ranges will not change from short (sub 200) and for now I am greatful for the low damn near no recoil) aforded by the expansion.

Southern Wisconsin where I was raised was shotgun only until recently, I was surprised to see they finally got some sense and allow rifles.

Personally I think rifles are safer because they are more precise.

I hunt with all of them.  But as far as most of my hunting, in southern new Hampshire, rifles are not an option.

Funny thing is, I read about a study and shotguns can actually more dangerous than rifles.  Sure, a 30-06 projectile will travel much further if its shot up into the air at the right angle.  But if you shoot a 30-06 and a shotgun slug at the same point of aim, a few feet off the ground, like at a deer, the shotgun slug is likely to travel farther through woods because of its higher mass.  The 30-06 bullet will tumble after hitting something like a sapling or branch and the tumbling causes it to loose velocity fast, where the slug, even if it does tumble, doesn't loose as much of its aero dynamics as the rifle bullet will.  Think of the slug as being closer in shape to a round ball than the bullet.  Therefore, in a real world scenario the heavier shotgun slug is likely to travel through woods father because it can retain more of its kinetic energy after hitting an obstruction than the rifle bullet.  

So with that understanding, the safest means of firearm hunting in suburban areas would be buckshot and small caliber/light weight bullets.  Since peoples misunderstanding of the effectiveness and accuracy beyond bow hunting range of buckshot, which can lead to a "spray and pray" mentality, I think the safest firearm to use in populated areas would be something like a .243 or smaller caliber with copper solids or another low (compared to lead) density metal in ammo designed not to exceed 1,000 ft-lbs at 150 yards and also designed to expand well within that range.  Stumpy straight wall handgun cartridges in a rifle would also be a good option with bullets designed to limit range.

That's the way I understand it anyways.

I voted for muzzy and shotgun as they are the "norm" (only thing legal) in my home area.

But watch out Mr. Maine Buck at Sampson's Bay. There will be a Marlin 336C looking to put your broadside in the reticle of the Redfield Widefield on Saturday.