hunting deer with a rifle

hunting deer with a rifle  

1. 1. hunting deer with a rifle

• I only hunt deer with a rifle
      I only hunt deer with a rifle
    • muzzy and shotgun are the norm in my world
    • sorry if it is not archery I don't do it.

Thanks!  It's one of the few centerfire rifles built by Mark Silver, a very well known builder of custom flintlocks. He built it on a single square bridge small ring Mauser action with a lot of cool little touches like H&H claw mounts for the scope that reveal a rear peep when the scope is removed.

Silver-7x57mmMannlicher-6.jpg

As pretty as the rifle is, it's not all that accurate, but it does shoot "minute of deer"   :D   .  A 100 yard shot is a very long shot around here.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• John

• Iver

• Tim Frazier

• Coalman

Thanks for the additional pic Greg. I'm really taken with your little Mauser. It's lines just really work, IMO. You're right though, I don't believe I've ever shot a deer over 150yds here in sc PA.

A close friend of mine has two custom rifles that were gifted to him from the founder of the organization that he now heads up. One is an Al Biesen stocked .264 Model 70. The other is a .458 built by Dietrich Appel. They're both handsome guns, but your 7x57 really gets my motor running!

Marcus

This is my first deer with a rifle in Ohio, don't see going back to a shotgun though never had any issues really.  My dad shot an H&R bull barreled 20ga that would put five shots in a playing card at 100 yards.  He never fired twice and never missed a deer in his 15 years of deer hunting. (didn't start till his late 50s)

image3045.jpg

Dads biggest

dad5.JPG

Cait took this one with one shot from her 20ga slug gun as well.

cait1.JPG

deer133.jpg

This was my favorite slug combo.  1963 Ithaca 37 with red dot and Federal TrueBall slugs.  Deer just went down.

deer62.JPG

Tim,

do you have Skinner peep on that?

Its a William FP with a fire sight front post.   These sights make this gun really easy to shoot and keeps it light.  I will eventually put a scope on it I suppose, but maybe not, I go back and forth on the subject!

Well, I landed a nice doe

IMG_1358.JPG

out at the farm with the Henry big boy.  

IMG_1362.JPG

The winchester 240gr JSP hammered her at 98 paces.  Shot entered right behind the front left shoulder and broke two ribs, and came out, allthough just barely, her right shoulder.  The bullet was half in and out of the hyde, loosing but one jacket pettal.

IMG_1361.JPG

IMG_1361.JPG

She was moving faster than a walk, but way less spirited than a run.  She summer saulted to the ground in a heep.  A moment later she poped her head up and started rocking as if to get up.  I cycled the action and again like a laser this round went threw her neck and it was over.

Very impressed by the penetration of the JSP, I think the dead on accuary at 100 is slick as well.  I think anything much past 125 would need a hard cast, but I just cant see shooting that far.  

I managed ok with the open sights, able to see just enough to drop the bead into the grove, but Im going to need a 1-4 x scoope before long.

Now my buddy...he got a nice buck

IMG_1359.JPG

Hey those white box Winchester 44s are great, very underrated and quite hot (over 1800fps in a carbine).  I think the JSP is the way to go.  I'm still looking for deer one but just went out Monday.  Plenty of days left.

Good job!

Here is the other .44 mag I put together.  It's a custom MGM barrel with a GI forend open up to fit the bull barrel profile and on a G2 Frame.  It really likes the Hornady ammo, now to see if I can find a deer to try it on!

tc_765x1024_.jpg

nice thompson

The HR 444 loves the lever revolution ammo

and 320 hard cast.

WHat bullet mfg does winchester use for those?  Nosler?

Its a William FP with a fire sight front post.   These sights make this gun really easy to shoot and keeps it light.  I will eventually put a scope on it I suppose, but maybe not, I go back and forth on the subject!

yea, some great sales right now.

Have you thought about a red dot?   I have been playing with the idea of putting one on my deer gun.

When it comes to deer hunting I've got all the bases covered.

My main deer rifle for the last 15 or so years. It's a 1949 Savage 99EG in 300 SAV. I've dropped a number of deer and even a bull moose with this gun.

20151109_163244_zpsprrwwogs.jpg

I also like carry this Winchester 94 Ranger form time to time.

100_0488.jpg

025.jpg

I used to use this Savage 24 30-30/20ga for pushing swamps. I still bring it along to camp but it doesn't get out much theses days.

huntsville007.jpg

My TC Hawken .54 cal for muzzle loader season.

013.jpg

Even taken a few deer with my BPS.

0242.jpg

While I still enjoying shooting my recurves and compounds I usually hunt archery season with my crossbow.

hunting006.jpg

that ranger is real nice looking, actually all of your guns look great.  my bps upland has been claimed by my son as his, lol.

i did think an eotac briefly, but would rather be batery free