Facebook

ThomGordon

I'll admit I signed up on Facebook mostly to read a couple different groups. However, I am reluctant to participate for personal reasons. For those of you that use Facebook or for that matter have switched to Facebook bird dog groups vs the UJ I have one question. Why?
  • Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Brad Eden

• Chesepeakes_Man

• gundogpa

• ThomGordon

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It helps men get hold of their inner female side, with all that gossiping and such.

I have a FB account but had no idea there were bird dog groups or how to find them. Most of that stuff is a mystery to me.
Chesepeakes_Man

I tried it and it is a complete invasion of privacy. I absolutely despise it and think it is a real detriment to our society. And it is getting worse every day.

Why are UJers going there ? Because it is the way everyone else in their life is going to FB. The ole' sheeple syndrome.  

Dale

I tried it and it is a complete invasion of privacy.

Appreciate the honesty & I agree, this is why I ask...

I’m not on Facebook because of privacy issues but the fact is, with the advent of the internet nearly all our privacy has disappeared. How many times have you done a search for some insignificant product, and I mean anything, only to have ads for that product start showing up whenever you log on. Are you curious how old someone is, if they’ve had any DUI’s, bankruptcy’s, their religion, how many siblings they have, are their parents married, whatever anyone wants to know it’s just a few clicks away. Happily, I'm old enough that I don’t have to put up with this intrusion into my life for too many more years, but I feel sorry for my kids.

Steve

Im not on it and never will be as long as Im self employed. Dont care to share my personal life with my employees. I have friends that are only on it to stalk old girlfriends.

To me, Facebook is still the mug shot album cops give to crime victims??

My wife is on Facebook and seems to enjoy it. She doesn't post much but likes to look at other peoples stuff. Much of it is pretty much 10th grade level but so is much of our population these days.  I think I'll continue to pass.

I figure you guys get enough of me on UJ :D

My wife stays in touch with the extended family on it, I've never looked at it.

I figure you guys get enough of me on UJ :D

My wife stays in touch with the extended family on it, I've never looked at it.

Me either. I am tech challenged and barely type here.

Facebook and particularly Facebook Groups have compromised and will eventually eliminate traditional boards like UJ. Facebook is the Wal Mart of social media. FWIW the UJ site and board were launched before "The Facebook" was a hungover thought in a college kids head. (2002)

Traditional board software is static and simply cant compete with staffs of programmers and warehouses full of servers or "clouds". And owners with active "public" boards can't afford to compete given monthly server/hosting and bandwidth costs.

We might limp along but the days when boards like this were THE social media venue for upland enthusiasts is over. Particularly compromising is the ability Facebook provides to upload photos and videos seamlessly...with auto sizing and no limits. Posting photos here and most traditional boards is simply a PIA and many people have no patience for it. I understand that.

I truly appreciate the loyalty from the Members who still darken the doorway and pull up a rickety stool at the UJ bar. Those folks and new Members are why I keep the lights on 24/7/365.

Regardless this board still has remarkable activity given the competition from today's powerful social media giants. For every Member who bails I have others waiting for registration to be opened. So the sky isn't falling, yet.

I suppose this is as good a time as any to announce their will be some major changes on UJ early in the new year. Changes that are being forced upon me/us by my host given the antiquated board software. Its quite complicated, and I have been in "negotiations" and researching for the last few months trying to decide the best direction for this online community to take. Stay tuned.

I tried it and it is a complete invasion of privacy. I absolutely despise it and think it is a real detriment to our society. And it is getting worse every day.

Why are UJers going there ? Because it is the way everyone else in their life is going to FB. The ole' sheeple syndrome.  

Dale

Well if you are on the internet.....including places like UJ.......your privacy is already compromised. That's how it works.